Thread: Jacks ought six...

Default Jacks ought six...

I have a neighbor a few house down the street named Jack. Jack is kicking back in his retirement at the comfortable age of 74. Back in the late 70's a guy gave him a new in the box Sears Model 53 as payment for a small debt, about $200.00 as he recalls. He was telling me the story and I asked to see it. Jack didn't like it much since it said Sears and the stock color was a bit yellow. I told him he had a nice Winchester model 70 by a differnet name.

One thing led to another and he decided to dress it up. I removed the barreled action and he got busy on the stock. He stripped it down and sanded the old finish off then spliced in a piece of white phenolic and painted the front cap black. After the epoxy cured he hand sanded and blended the new front section then fitted a Limb Saver recoil pad. Once he stained and varnished the stock he ended up with a good looking rifle.

I dialed in some new brass and made a few measurements for a test batch of 168gr E-Tips that I plan on shooting next week. Jack is recoil sensitive as he is experiencing some pain from bone cancer. This is the third time cancer has hit him. This time it's not operable.

One of Jack's hobbies is bow making, both long bow and recurve. He has been making bows for 50 plus years and has never taken an animal with a firearm. He has taken a few mountain lions, black bears, elk, several deer, rabbit, antelope and turkeys with his bows over the years.

I plan on taking him to Texas next month on a White Tail hunt. If things work out it will be his first firearm hunt. The ammo I'm working up for Jack will be reduced 30-06 loads to about .308 velocity. That should be plenty on a little Texas White Tail. Test results next week.

Here's Jack

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack's 30-06.bmp.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	55704

Beautiful job. It is good to have friends and do things you like. Best wishes. J.

Best wishes for your friend. Nice job on the wood.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Great story Marshall. I hope you guys have a good Texas hunt and enjoy some time in the outdoors. Couldn't help but notice the great looking bows your friend made in the picture. Looks like he is a true craftsman with a knack for working wood.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Koo'well, all the way round.

I just got done helping my neighbor with his handloading.

I just put your name on my list of "Good Guys".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks guys, Jack is a good man, always helping others. His bows are awesome, he built me a straight bow last year and a set of spine matched arrows to practiced with. I'm hoping he tags out in Texas next month, it will be his first firearm kill of any kind.

Going skiing with the wife and kids for the next few days, putting the computer to rest. I'll report back with Jack's load results early next week.

Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Here's Jack
    I'll second that and add you to the list! Great that you're getting him out on a hunt.

His bows are awesome, he built me a straight bow last year and a set of spine matched arrows to practiced with.
    Meant to say "Long Bow", don't know what I was thinking.

Just checked in to the rental in Vail, very cold night. I should have dressed better. Tomorrow should be a good day to ski. I'll shoot the 30-06 next Tuesday or Wednesday and report back with reduced load results.

You are a noble man for having helped your neighbor bring that gun into the sunlight to be used. I must confess, had it been me I might have said. "So you don't like that rifle, I'll take it off your hands.". I love the Model 70, especially in 30.06.
    I'm intrigued by the nose treatment on the forearm. Painted you say...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'm intrigued by the nose treatment on the forearm. Painted you say...
    Yes, painted. After sanding he decided he wanted to do a little more than stain and finish. He cut the forend off at angle with a miter saw. Then he tried some black stain with no luck, the coverage wasn't deep enough. He didn't have any Black Ebony on hand so he decided to paint it.

The painting was after he spliced in a piece of white phenolic with epoxy that he claims is the strongest stuff available. It's the same epoxy he uses between the laminates on the bow limbs. After hand sanded and blending the three pieces to match he stained the stock and airbrushed the cap with black lacquer. He rubbed several coats of wipe on poly and wet sanded in between applications. The final finish was airbrushed

For the icing on the cake he built a little white piece to go under the grip cap. The grain on this sears stock is a little poor by his own words but the color and finish makes him happy to bring it out of the box.

I did a little load work on my Anchorage cousins Sears Model 53 / Winchester model 70 last year. I'm hoping for Jacks sake that this model 53 will shoot as good. One thing that will make shooting groups a little easier on my eyes is the 3X9 scope on Jacks versus the fixed 6X on my cousins.

Thanks for the interest and good words on my friend. I will post some pics of his bows next week. There have been a few emails of interest.

The painting was after he spliced in a piece of white phenolic with epoxy that he claims is the strongest stuff available. It's the same epoxy he uses between the laminates on the bow limbs.
    Beautiful work! Marshall, would you be willing to ask Jack for the details on which epoxy he uses? Thanks.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Beautiful work! Marshall, would you be willing to ask Jack for the details on which epoxy he uses? Thanks.
    Jack uses Smooth-On EA-40 for his bow making and the splicing on this 30-06 stock.

Leaving Vail today, shooting the reduced loads Tuesday or Wednesday. Reports on load data at that time. Hoping his rifle shoots the E-Tips well at reduced speeds.

Jack uses Smooth-On EA-40 for his bow making and the splicing on this 30-06 stock.
    Thanks Marshall and Jack for the info!
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Great looking old rifle.

When you work up a load for him, maybe a 125-130 grain tipped x-bullet? this migt be all that's needed for those tiny deer, and will be easier on his shoulder.

They were 34 dollars for a box of 50:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/392...free-box-of-50

I plan on taking him to Texas next month on a White Tail hunt. If things work out it will be his first firearm hunt. The ammo I'm working up for Jack will be reduced 30-06 loads to about .308 velocity. That should be plenty on a little Texas White Tail. Test results next week.
    I forgot to pass this along:

A bud I reload for loves his Ruger Ultralight 06, but suffers from chronic shoulder separations and pays the price with full-power loads. For about 20 years now he's been using a reduced load of the Sierra 125 spitzer on top of enough IR-3031 to reach 2500 fps. He's never shot a deer past 200 or so, but it really puts them down and shoots plenty flat for those ranges. Best of all recoil is in the low 30-30 class.

Excellent thread marshall, that guy looks really cool,

should be a fun hunt, with a guy like Jack tellin' stories 'round the fire,
    "Good Hunting to you both," seems the hunt prep is turning out to be pretty fun for both of you.

looking forward to further details

(ps: how was the snow in the Rockies, any pics,..??
    Im an old addict of the Rockies, heh heh)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    (ps: how was the snow in the Rockies, any pics,..??
    Im an old addict of the Rockies, heh heh)
    The snow at the resort was man made for the most part. North slopes had coverage, south slopes were bare and access was closed. Vail was painfully expensive, never again on my budget.

We rented Ski Doo's and rode at the 10,000 foot level, they were so slow with the lack of air. Wide open throttle on a smooth packed trail was 45mph with the Grand Touring Sport 600 Ace four stroke. Diffidently not what I've experienced on my step brothers Iron Dog sleds on Calm Gulch trail.

The kids are mine, south slopes behind them. The sled is a rental 20 miles west of Vail around 10,000 feet. I saw two cow elk and a calf ahead so we stopped and let them pass without additional stress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaylee and Raymond Vail.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	55824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vail Ski Doo.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	55825

Vail was painfully expensive, never again on my budget.
    Any town that won't let you drive in, overcharges for the parking and requires you to ride a bus to get to the businesses won't get a dime of my money. Stopped there about ten years ago on a pass down I-70, figuring to grab a quick dinner with my wife. Left in a huff without playing their game, and I've never taken that offramp again.

This is the kind of stories forums are made for. Thanks Marshall and good luck with your friend on the hunt!
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I had chance to put the loads on paper today. Temperature was a nice 60 degrees at 2100 feet. Testing was done at the 100 yard line with a chronograph nine feet in front of the muzzle.

This rifle barrel seems a little shorter than typical for a 30-06. I'm not exactly sure how barrels are measured for advertising purposes but the muzzle on this rifle is exactly 22" in front of the bolt face when closed. If you subtract the length of the cartridge it puts the barrel at about 18.8".

Loads are as follows:

Winchester brass 2.484"
    Primer CCI-200
    Nosler E-Tip 168gr
    Powder H-4350
    .075 off the lands

Five shot per recipe samples.

53.5gr 2600fps 4.86fps per .1gr
    54.2gr 2640fps 4.87fps per .1gr Best ES (4) nice group 3/4"
    54.9gr 2679fps 4.87fps per .1gr
    55.6gr 2702fps 4.86fps per .1gr Good ES (9) nice group 3/4"
    56.3gr 2708fps 4.81fps per .1gr

No signs of pressure on primers or brass. Velocity is starting to drop off per .1gr of charge with the highest charge. That suggests lack of efficiency with selected components if more speed was desired, it's not the goal in this test.

I'm going to vary the seating depth with the 54.2gr charge from .025" off - .125" off and see if I can dial in the sweet spot. The load is shooting very nice at 3/4" and in the ball park of the planned velocity.

Heading to work at 0430 Thursday, more testing planned on the 27th.