Thread: Snowing like mad in willow but be careful!!!!!

Default Snowing like mad in willow but be careful!!!!!

Near white out conditions most of the day in the Nancy lake area today. Tracy did amazingly well for a new ridder, she even got on her feet and tried to throw the sled around a bit in the swamps! Considering she was scared to tears for the first half hour I am very proud of her. I got to play a bit in the swamps.......and there in is the cautionary note! The lakes are frozen but thats not nessisarily the case for the creeks! Plus side the sled flew over the creek without issue, down side? Ya got to cross that open water again to get back!!!!!!
    IMG_3523.jpg
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Nice pict, Rick. Looks like you guys are having a blast.

Yeah creeks are definitely not frozen yet as I found out the hard way this past Sunday in Petersville

Ohhhhh that sucks man! Bet that put a damper on a great ride! It's videos and storries like yours that make me wish I had a ridding pard!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I still get a grin out of über traditional bow hunter turned sled-head RickP's transformation! Darn things are addicting!

As for the creeks it is a good reminder. Lots of reports of overflow and smaller creeks opening back up after some of the warmer weather of late. My buddies went out last weekend and an area that they drove right over headed to the Yentna was a boiling couldron of dark water on the way back. Lucky they didn't find it the hard way on the way out!!

I call foul!! Something is amiss with that video. Perhaps the anti's raising their ugly heads again. That sled should have been flung out of that creek using the "bungie" Ahh the joys of early season deep powder riding.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I still get a grin out of über traditional bow hunter turned sled-head RickP's transformation! Darn things are addicting!
    Oh I am still very much a 2 sticks and a string kinda guy on hunts! I do occasonally use the sled to get back to hunting areas but it's old school snowshoes and the bow once I reach good hunting grounds. Several of my trad archery buddies were stunned to find a snowmachine when I said "hey check out my new sled"! They were expecting somethin made from willow and pulled by dogs.......
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Ohhhhh that sucks man! Bet that put a damper on a great ride! It's videos and storries like yours that make me wish I had a ridding pard!
    The ride wasn't that great to begin with - couldn't see much because of the heavy wet snowfall and flat light, all of the swamps aren't frozen as well. Snow was decent though, as long as you could see where you're going.
    What you don't see in the video is that there's a bend in the creek to the left, so you had to gun it, make a sharp turn and get out of the creek. I was the third one to go, after one guy made it fine, second one broke through but made it. When I went, I didn't quite make the turn and my left ski got caught in the snow/ice and basically pointed straight up. I gunned it, but it jut made the back end brake through the ice so I shut it off thinking the whole sled is about to sink. Luckily the front end didn't go under and we pulled it out.
    One of the other guys stuck his buddies freeride trying to cross head on, the freeride's length came out to be the exact width of the creek

Ya Tracy and I wrapped it up a bit earlier than we had to do to the light and snow........bumer about your freinds free rdie but it's hard to not smile when a lucky SOB's luck runs out!
    BHA Member