Thread: Dried black skin on outside of meat

Default Dried black skin on outside of meat

After hanging quarters for about a week, the outside has a nice black coating on the outside.

When you actually butcher the quarters, what do you do with black skin? How critical is it to remove ALL the black parts? If you remove the film on the outside of the dried part, will the dried part rehydrate in the freezer bag?

Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    After hanging quarters for about a week, the outside has a nice black coating on the outside.

When you actually butcher the quarters, what do you do with black skin? How critical is it to remove ALL the black parts? If you remove the film on the outside of the dried part, will the dried part rehydrate in the freezer bag?
    I usually trim it off .... as that is where dirt/hair usually collects and cleaning it can be difficult.

Some of the black stuff may hydrate to a point. If its clean, I leave it attached to the steaks/roasts. Helps provide some sacrificial surface to offset potential freezer burn (if the vacuum bag were to leak). Then trim it off the tough stuff when it's pulled from the freezer for a meal.

But if your quarters are clean ... it is merely dried meat. I've ran clean bits through the grinder and made sausage and burger meat with success. When dried, seemed to be better than any dried tendon/connective tissue that was processed also.

Ive been known to "skin roasts" and take the outter dryed layer and the fat (Caribou fat is not marbled), salt and pepper the wet side, finish dryingthe whole thing then chop it up and eat with Seal oil, or plain , in chunks , or I then grind it as sausage, with a second round od grinding with more spices or just to mix it better....

Its just dry, leave there, slice it with the steaks, when its time to cook, trim them and snack while you cook
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If it is clean I tend to not worry about it much, it is just dried meat. I have sometimes used an electric fillet knife (which is awesome for peeling it off without a lot of waste) and just throw it in my grinds, but if it is contaminated I will use the fillet knife and just peel it off.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Mine goes in the scrap bucket. All of the scraps get ground and cooked to supplement dog food.....and she likes it fine. Depends on how picky you are about your meat I guess. My brother only likes the pure red meat. I don't mind a little bit of marble or white odds and ends in mine. Some put it all in like beef/pork.