Thread: Best time to buy a bow?

Default Best time to buy a bow?

This very well might be a silly question, but is there a better time of year than others to get a good deal on a new bow? I am already familiar with Fletchers and will likely give them my business, but I don't know if bows come in "model years" like other products that tend to go in price cycles depending on the time of year. Are there good times to get clearance prices on a bow, or is this not an issue? I've been shooting the same Hoyt for 10 years, and while it's still a fine bow I have been working extra hours this year to save up for a new one. I'm to the point where I can justify the investment, so I'm about to go shopping...unless someone can convince me otherwise. Thanks!

-Brian

Did you get it already?

Default Brian

I don't know of anyone up here that does sales. Maybe Sportsman Warehouse. Fletchers will probably be a bit higher priced that SW but I have done business there with the previous owner and I like quality work. The previous owner had my bow tuned in 10 minutes and with only 2 bare shafts fired. Excellent job!

You can shop the big stores and become a number or a smaller place that knows you and is willing to do more to keep you as a customer. If a bad word gets out and SW looses 3% of their archery customers they may not be hurt. If a small guy looses 3% it is a much bigger deal. I like personal service.

I don't know if anyone will be at the sportsman show. I usually find they jack the prices up and try to make you believe it is a deal. Shop around and take your time. Unless your going to try for black bear with the bow. Then you only have a couple weeks to practice. That may not be enough. When I switched from an older bow to a new BowTech I found I had a learning cure that took 2 months.

Good luck and buy a Bowech!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Oh, you don't need to sell me on the merits of small, locally owned shops, Dave - I'm also a believer in quality over price and in supporting small business owners in most cases. If it's not Fletchers (they've also treated me well in the past), it'll be another local shop.

Thanks for the tips. I figured that sales weren't likely, but it doesn't hurt to check. If I do end up getting a new one in the next couple of months, I'll still likely stick with the old bow for spring black bears. I would rather shoot something I am well-practiced with than something new, even if it is a better bow. I know that my old Hoyt can kill a bear in my hands, but I'm still looking forward to the upgrade. As for the bowtech recommendation, well...we'll see.

-Brian

Edited post...............

Brian

Bows are tracked by model years, just like cars (or it seems that way). They have "model year close-outs".

Cabelas has their PL 1.5 model close-out on sale. This bow is made by AR for Cabelas. It's a 35" axle-axle. Right between AR's 34 and 36 models. I've shot the AR 36 and thought it was an exceptionally good bow. I like the longer axled bows myself.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...266&hasJS=true

I also like bowtech bows. I don't like bowtech prices. If you feel the same check out the Diamond line of bows. Diamond is now owned by Bowtech from what I understand. The same features and silencing tech. is on the Diamonds now for less money/ without getting less bow IMO.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...tech&noImage=0

I would stay away from the "package" deals. Buy the best gadgets you can afford. I completed outfitted my Browning Eclipse with Trophy Ridge Titan sights, Trophy Ridge dropzone rest, Trophy Ridge quiver. Limbsaver S-coil stabilizer, string leaches, and limb modules (this bow is quiet). Went with Carbon Express Maxima arrows tipped with Muzzy 3 blade 100's. I'm pulling 65#'s @ 30" draw, this gives me a chrono'd 278-280 fps average. More than enough fps for me.

My point.... I only have $700 in the bow and it's completely outfitted (the way I wanted it) with top gear for the price of some bare bows. I took my time and bought from different suppliers. The bow, accessories, and arrows were all bought new (and on sale) and I have no regrets.

Got all of my stuff from Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas (web exclusives/clearance), Bass Pro Shop on-line sales, and Keystone Country Store http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/. I understand if you want to support the locals, but in case they are higher than giraffe nutz give these a look. I'm not loyal to anybody but my pocketbook. Who ever has it the cheapest wins.... If I need to buy one thing here or there, I definitely buy local. But when I'm going for big purchases, I go with what's cheapest overall. If it's cheaper from Billy Bob's Plumbing Used Cars and Archery Supply, then Billy Bob wins.

It's getting a little late in the year to get some of the better deals. Jan/Feb is prime for hunting season clearances.

Just throwing two cents around....Shopping for new gear is fun, enjoy.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

if you order a new bow IE Matwhwes 2007 model when they first come out with it. You might wait 3 to 4 months befor eyou get it. Other then that it usally takes a week to get it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default First year

I never buy the first year of anything. Let someone else find the faults of the product and then I will by the improved version next year.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Brian
    What bows does Fletcher sell? I would shoot them all and see what fits you the best.

As for best time to buy, probably anytime. Now if you want to go to a big chain store, you can probably buy close outs. But you won't be buying top of the line gear then. Most top of the line bow companies have tried selling in chain stores and have pulled out because they loose to much money. When they go into these stores like hoyt did a couple of years ago, they loose there business from the Archery Pro shops, reason being the pro shop can not buy the number of bows that the chain store does and they sell the bow at a higher price, They can not compete with chain store prices. In turn they don't buy the hoyt anymore and they hoyt looses money do to all the Pro shops not selling there bow. So Hoyt pulled back out and started selling to pro shops again. Hoyt may sell a cheaping line of bows still in some chain stores I am not sure, But they are not there top of the line bow. Mathews, Hoyt and bowtech sell only to Archery Pro Shops. Hope this helps. But go shoot each and every one of the bows you are interested in and do not let anyone tell you 1 bow is better than the other. What you like is the best bow. All three bow companies I named make excellent top of the line bows and which ever you pick is the bow for you. Just one suggestion shoot them all back to back and change up and shoot them again. Take your time, the bow will be there tomorrow also. The warranty on a mathews is for the orginal purchaser of the bow. I did not know if you knew this. My pick is Mathews but you need to decide for yourself for which bow is for you. GOOD LUCK and have fun with it.