Thread: M1 30 Carbine die sets?

Default M1 30 Carbine die sets?

Any recommendations on die sets for .30 carbine M1 reloading? Any particular manufacturer to go with or avoid on these?

I've been looking at the Dillon online catalog and it only lists a carbide sizing die, but the photo shows a 3 die set and the price tag is $71, so I can't see that it's only a sizing die. Anyone have this Dillon die and is it the full set or not?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

EDIT... OK, I looked in the Blue Press and found the stock number for the 3-die set at $102 (Redding). Kinda pricey, but still wondering if I'm getting that much better on the Dillon set vs RCBS or Lee or ?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Mine are RCBS because that was what I found first at a show years ago, they work just fine. Personally I feel Lee dies are as good as Redding or anyone’s and if I order I order Lee, their other stuff goes from poor to good but the dies are good to great.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just loaded 300 rounds on my old RCBS set. Had to lube the cases, plus its always a good idea to trim to length as well, because the carbine case headspaces on the case mouth. Long ones will cause the bolt on a carbine to not fully lock, causing a failure to fire. If I remember correctly, even the carbide dies in the 30 carbine require lube.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Most of the dies I use are Redding (hey we are dealers so...) but my carbine dies are RCBS. They are so old they are in the old style cardboard box and they work well, even though I use them primarily to load 7.62 nagant

Almost all my dies are Redding but my 30 carbine dies are RCBS carbide. I do lube my cases slightly, about every third case, and the cases need to be very clean. This little case is rather thick and tough and has some taper full length. The thing loads like a dream on the 550 but you need to lube the lower half of about every third or fifth case, even with the carbide sizer. The RCBS Carbide insert is tapered to more closely match the taper of the case. I have used Redding dies in this caliber but they seemed to oversize the base of the case. I loaded about 600 rounds this summer and still have a 550 tool head set up with these dies. The kids like shooting this little rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Back when I'd take the kid shooting HP I used Lee dies for the M1 Carbine, gun was on loan from the club. Gave it and the left over bullets to someone so he could load for his kid. The dies worked well enough for me and I love their carbide crimp dies (for handguns I like to seat the bullet and crimp in two steps). I have a couple of Redding dies and they will be my 1st choice for rifle dies. Most of mine are RCBS and I have a couple of Lyman handgun dies that I like better than the RCBS handgun dies.

Thanks for the tips folks. I couldn't find any Lee die sets and only limited availability of RCBS, so I went with the Redding set through Dillon. Ought to do the trick if it's worthy of Dillon selling them direclty.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona