Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carrying a rifle hands free

Default carrying a rifle hands free

in my old age i find myself using hiking poles a lot so my rifle isn't in my hands like it used to be. which is ok until the one time its not. I've slung my rifle before on my back with low carrying packs, and I know about the hunters backpacks that can carry your rifle on the side, or a hook on an external frame pack. I don't like the time frame required to shoulder a rifle from those methods.

is there a trick way to carry a rifle hands free that also allows for quick access for use ?

Buddy of mine uses one of these:
    https://gunslingercorral.com/oscomme...4250befbbae369

He uses it with a loop added to the load lifter strap that the barrel goes through.

Stid gives rave reviews on the Kifaru gunbearer but more than a few don't like how it rides. I have not tried it but I am often curious how many nay-sayers have actually used one.
    http://www.kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

Kifaru has a good gun sling/bearer. It allows hands free and the gun can be at the ready.

http://www.kifaru.net/huntaccessories.html

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Buddy of mine uses one of these:
    https://gunslingercorral.com/oscomme...4250befbbae369

He uses it with a loop added to the load lifter strap that the barrel goes through.
    I've used one of those for a few years now. I rigged up the gunslinger on my pack belt and use the adjustable length loop with the quick release on the shoulder strap. Here's a pic just after a "4 footed" scramble up through steep rocks with fairly tight against my chest. The other one on another hunt loaded with half a ram headed back to the tent, you can see I'm carrying it a little lower. It's pretty adjustable depending on conditions.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Depends on what orientation you'd prefer to carry it. The previosly mentioned muzzle-up holster or sling gives you one option, but I'd also check out military style tactical slings. These put the rifle into a "cross body" position with the muzzle down. Basically the same spot that you'd have the gun in a 2-handed ready-to-shoot position. They carry the weight of the rifle from the top instead of the bottom (as a traditional sling does). So the rifle is in proper orientation when hanging freely on the sling.

The better versions have a quick release tab that goes toward the forestock right about where your support hand would hold the front of the gun. This allows the sling to be cinched up high on the chest to prevent excessive movement while you're walking but a quick flip of the support thumb releases about a foot of free play into the sling so you can pick it up and shoulder it normally and instantly.

I use the really nice slings put out by Eagle Industries. They have one designed for Mini-14 that should fit most bolt action hunting rifles. http://www.eagleindustries.com/produ...&cat=15&page=1 And they quickly convert to a traditional sling so you can switch from cross body to a shoulder slung carry in a matter of seconds.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    in my old age i find myself using hiking poles a lot so my rifle isn't in my hands like it used to be. which is ok until the one time its not.
    These all sound like good solutions yet I've never needed them. Instead, the same desire to free up my hands in my old age was the main reason I first got a chest harness for my handgun, to eliminate the time required to shoulder my rifle. If I'd known about all these options back then, I might have ended up making a different carry choice. However, the chest harness has solved all of my quick access needs so effectively that I've never once missed carrying my rifle at the ready while wearing both guns. Plus, I'm a bit narrower when busting brush this way and my rifle is covered from the rain. The downsides are a few extra pounds to carry and I no longer use the sternum strap on my pack. I guess it also depends on whether the purpose of quick access is hunting or protection.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

I can't make up my mind on which one so I've decided to order one of each and try them all out, they are not very expensive so its easy to do. No doubt one will fit me and my style better than the others and theres only one way to know and thats with each one for a day of hiking with a backpack. Thank you to everyone that shared their thoughts on this topic.
    tustumenabrown1.JPG

tustumenabrown.JPG

Looks like you are already having luck stopping brother bear with your Canon.

I prefer this. The corral gunslinger mentioned above. Though I don't use a sling on my rifle and I feel even with a sling the rifle moves around too much behind me I felt using their method. So I just use the bottom part that goes on the waist belt and use a loop on my packbag or frame. A simple zip-tie or hose clamp to the packframe works just fine.

Here it is attached to the packbag there:
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 12-16-2011 at 07:03.

Marine,

What chest pack are you using?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have used both the Coral Gunsliger and the Kifaru Gunbearer. I like the Kifaru better because it is lighter and don't scratch my rifle stock.
    Lets me keep my hands free and allows me to use my trekking poles, which for me are a necessity.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

STID,

Kifaru looks like the best bet. Is yours a dedicated or universal carrier. I'm thinking maybe the universal could be used for a chest pack to carry my little Marlin 44 Mag rifle while I'm fly fishing. Hard to tell from the video if it will work but it seems to be a good compromise between leaving the gun on the bank and being able to carry it with you.

Years ago I used to carry a Sako Carbine in 375 H&H which is a pretty nice little bear gun but at that time I didn't have a way to carry it so it did not interfer with fishing so it stayed on the bank a lot.

I end up using traking poles as well when fishing to keep from sliping on the moss covered or slimy rocks. They are not perfect but they sure help.

The Coral Gunslinger looks like it has it's advantages too and I use a plastic stock on most field guns so the problem with scratching is less important to me.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    STID,

Kifaru looks like the best bet. Is yours a dedicated or universal carrier. I'm thinking maybe the universal could be used for a chest pack to carry my little Marlin 44 Mag rifle while I'm fly fishing. Hard to tell from the video if it will work but it seems to be a good compromise between leaving the gun on the bank and being able to carry it with you.

Years ago I used to carry a Sako Carbine in 375 H&H which is a pretty nice little bear gun but at that time I didn't have a way to carry it so it did not interfer with fishing so it stayed on the bank a lot.

I end up using traking poles as well when fishing to keep from sliping on the moss covered or slimy rocks. They are not perfect but they sure help.

The Coral Gunslinger looks like it has it's advantages too and I use a plastic stock on most field guns so the problem with scratching is less important to me.
    I have both the dedicated on my KU5200 and the universal on my Longhunter. I think the coral gunsliger might be the best option for your use as you could use the lower attachment on a waist belt and attach the upper to your chest pack straps.

The Kifaru universal might work, but I think it might hang to low. The gunsliger will center the palm grip right over your belt line, it has a metal hook. You Velcro the lower around a belt and drop the palm into it and secure with a snap strap. The use rifle unsnap and drop the rifle out of the upper loop.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have both the dedicated on my KU5200 and the universal on my Longhunter. I think the coral gunsliger might be the best option for your use as you could use the lower attachment on a waist belt and attach the upper to your chest pack straps.

The Kifaru universal might work, but I think it might hang to low. The gunsliger will center the palm grip right over your belt line, it has a metal hook. You Velcro the lower around a belt and drop the palm into it and secure with a snap strap. The use rifle unsnap and drop the rifle out of the upper loop.
    The metal hook the stock hangs on is coated in rubber so it doesn't actually scratch your rifle stock in my limited experience with it. Only used it this hunting season so I can't comment too much on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    The metal hook the stock hangs on is coated in rubber so it doesn't actually scratch your rifle stock in my limited experience with it. Only used it this hunting season so I can't comment too much on it.
    Luke,, I used one for several seasons and it did scratch up 2 of my rifles. Now with that said I bought mine in 2006 and they may have changed it some, but mine is also coated.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Luke,, I used one for several seasons and it did scratch up 2 of my rifles. Now with that said I bought mine in 2006 and they may have changed it some, but mine is also coated.
    huh thats too bad. Like I said I only used it for this short hunting season. I will say that I modified it to a quick clip securing it rather than the button fastener so I don't drop it in the creek like just before we dropped your whopper deer. Also lighten up and made it faster to secure and unsecure as well.

Thanks guys!

I was leaning toward the Coral too until I saw the note on their web site that it will not work with a lever gun or one without a pistol grip. I want to be able to carry the 16" 1894, 1895 (.45-70 and 450 Marlin) and maybe a 94 Winny trapper too. All of them are wood stocks too so maybe that was a little reason too. That is what led me to the Kifaru....it looked like it could be modified easier than the Coral.

Can either of these be used with muzzle down? I'm guessing you can hook the barrel instead of the pistol grip if you used the Coral with muzzle down. Would that work maybe?

I wouldn't be a fan of carrying it that way, one slip and you jam the barrel in the ground. I know Alaska_Lanche has a super slick trapper edition guide gun so I wonder if he has found a way to use it with the gunslinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Thanks guys!

I was leaning toward the Coral too until I saw the note on their web site that it will not work with a lever gun or one without a pistol grip. I want to be able to carry the 16" 1894, 1895 (.45-70 and 450 Marlin) and maybe a 94 Winny trapper too. All of them are wood stocks too so maybe that was a little reason too. That is what led me to the Kifaru....it looked like it could be modified easier than the Coral.

Can either of these be used with muzzle down? I'm guessing you can hook the barrel instead of the pistol grip if you used the Coral with muzzle down. Would that work maybe?
    I didn't realize you were using a lever gun. I would try the Universal gunbearer, it is fairly cheap. When I get home I could mail you mine to try. I'm sure at worst you could modify it to work for your need. After all that what we Alaskans do right,, make things work for us.

Steve
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast