Thread: Bravo most reliable sled ever

Default Bravo most reliable sled ever

just a 30 minutes ago, i was driving on a bumpy trail, low oil, the bumps must have pushed the oil away from the bottom hose and my bravo made it about 200 yards with no oil, HAHAHA! it stopped a few times, and had a really hard knocking and pinning noise, but it made it! i poured oil into the cylinder, gas, and oil tank, FIRED RIGHT UP! still has compression, little resistance in the pull, and has full power! i never really was a yamaha fan, but now i am! see if your sled can do that!

Dude-
    Yes, Bravos are nearly bullet proof, but it is not good to run an engine out of oil. If you have heard noises like that, you have done permanent damage. Scored cylinder walls at the least. Don't plan any long trips into the woods.

Bravos must have changed since I had one years ago. Mine ran on pre-mixed oil/fuel. It was a great reliable sled although very hard riding on bumps !

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Dude-
    Yes, Bravos are nearly bullet proof, but it is not good to run an engine out of oil. If you have heard noises like that, you have done permanent damage. Scored cylinder walls at the least. Don't plan any long trips into the woods.
    still has full power, looked into the cylinder, no metal shavings at all, still full compression, i think the knocking noise was from that piece of metal that goes over the clutch vibrating against the plastic part on the engine, but the pinning is from being to lean, i hear it when i run out of gas and run it on fumes, you could also feel the power difference

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Bravos must have changed since I had one years ago. Mine ran on pre-mixed oil/fuel. It was a great reliable sled although very hard riding on bumps !
    cant be weak, only little girls use the suspension! haha, yeah ive noticed that too

Lower oil seizure won't make a pinging noise. It'll just stop. Did your oil light come on? If it did, you still have enough oil for nearly 30 miles. I know this from experience A low oil seizure will generally seize the piston to the cylinder wall. The crank is usually undamaged as the piston will usually seize before the oil is gone off the crank bearings.

I have seen sleds run with amazing damage. My '98 Summit X seized so hard it moved foward in the motor mounts almost 3/4". Half the dome of the right piston was gone. After it cooled we were able to get it to turn over and run on one cylinder. Since we were 7 miles from the parking lot and had several ravines to cross to try and tow it out, I decided to try and ride it. A healthy dose of throttle and all the sudden the other cylinder lit. I rode it out 7 miles that way. The best part The cylinder was undamaged since it was cast iron. Once I removed the aluminum from it and honed it, it only cost me one piston.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieJames7 View Post
    still has full power, looked into the cylinder, no metal shavings at all, still full compression, i think the knocking noise was from that piece of metal that goes over the clutch vibrating against the plastic part on the engine, but the pinning is from being to lean, i hear it when i run out of gas and run it on fumes, you could also feel the power difference
    Well, you may be OK. I had a Bravo for 13 years and it went through me to my wife to my children to a neighbor kid. They are noisy and shake themselves to death, but will run and run and run...

If you scored the cylinder walls you can look into the cylinder using an LED light, and you would likely not see metal shavings, but vertical lines. Hopefully not. Some machines can take amazing abuse and keep running as Doug indicated. Others have piston seizure or get a hole in the piston domes or the cranks seize... you get the picture. You seize a one cylinder machine and you'll be walking home.

If I was you I would disable the injection and mix your fuel. Idiot lights don't always come on (my Bravo didn't have one), and the older those sleds get, the more probable your injection will go out.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Well, you may be OK. I had a Bravo for 13 years and it went through me to my wife to my children to a neighbor kid. They are noisy and shake themselves to death, but will run and run and run...

If you scored the cylinder walls you can look into the cylinder using an LED light, and you would likely not see metal shavings, but vertical lines. Hopefully not. Some machines can take amazing abuse and keep running as Doug indicated. Others have piston seizure or get a hole in the piston domes or the cranks seize... you get the picture. You seize a one cylinder machine and you'll be walking home.

If I was you I would disable the injection and mix your fuel. Idiot lights don't always come on (my Bravo didn't have one), and the older those sleds get, the more probable your injection will go out.
    bravos dont have oil lights lol, and yeah they do shake them selves apart, my brand new bravo just had 250 miles on it and it started backfiring when me and my brother were hauling wood, i looked under the hood and seen the coil screw was missing on one side, wow hahaha, i just took the screw off of my cousins bravo, he dosnt know yet hahaha

the 98 summit X was very lucky to not drop piston parts into the rotary valve and smoke it all up like the old 1996 summit I have did when a ring froze up and I persisted in starting the durn thing.....

You should look inside the jug for scored piston scratches for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    the 98 summit X was very lucky to not drop piston parts into the rotary valve and smoke it all up like the old 1996 summit I have did when a ring froze up and I persisted in starting the durn thing.....

You should look inside the jug for scored piston scratches for sure.....
    its all good, it will all buff out, its at most scuffing on the piston