Thread: What to ask a Sheep biologist?

Maryland...not by choice

Default What to ask a Sheep biologist?

I am planning my first sheep hunt for next year. One of my coworkers told me a good way to get info on areas to check out is to talk to a sheep biologist. I don't want to be the ***hole that calls the guy up and is like "hey man, where are all the sheep". I am sure they get that a lot. What kind of questions are good ones to bring up when talking to the biologists? Ultimately I would like some info on where to focus my efforts, but also what elevations to be looking for, and what kind of habitat makes for a good sheep country. Do you guys offer to get them any samples of your sheep? Things like blood, hair, stool, ect?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Palmer, AK

Some good questions. Some of them are covered in detail by Tony Russ in his books on the subject. I would pick a couple drainages and pick their brain on the area. Good questions would be sheep density in the area. Dispersion in larger drainage between the mouth and headwaters. Sucks to hunt the craggy stuff at the head waters not realizing that the sheep are mostly in the tamer stuff toward the mouth.

Ask them what area guides operate in and then go to a different area. Honestly though just do your homework. I started with topo's and narrowed down to 5 or 6 drainages. Estimate what habitat may be where, what pressure from other hunters may do to the animals, etc. From there I flew the area in late July to 1. confirm that sheep actually were in the area and 2. help identify possible access routes/hazards/etc. in the area. I hunted a general area for three years and was able to take 4 sheep between my wife and I. Last couple of years we were lucky enough to draw DCUA tags and applied the same principles. The result was 2 more sheep. Biologists can be a lot of help but don't expect a golden answer. Another decent source is aerial survey's and harvest statistics. I think the latest full sheep report is from 2008. My best piece of advice is be willing to walk further and possibly higher than others. All 6 of our sheep have been taken walk in only off the road system. No ATV, No boat, no plane, simply locking the door and walking.

Ketchikan, Alaska

Wow Mr. Cory that right there is a nugget of sound advice. Looks like you've been there and done that!!! You've got some excellent experience in the sheep hills.

I'm working on a plan A for my 2012 sheep hunting and it's just like your descibing. I'll need to lock the truck and start hiking. Although I may be using a pack raft.

I also poured over maps and used harvest statistics to narrow an area down. Some spots have just as good sucess as draw areas and are just regular general season zones.