Thread: Anyone familiar with the Remington 750 rifles (semi-auto)?

Default Anyone familiar with the Remington 750 rifles (semi-auto)?

Does anyone have any experience with the Remington 750 semi-auto rifles? How do they compare to a BAR?
    Considering buying one in .35 Whelen.

Thanks.

No experience with the 750, but have two 740s that look and sound exactly the same. I even saw that the magazine from the 740s fit the 750.
    Really love the feel / handling, but the 740s have a real problem with cycling (both feeding and ejecting) ammo. Alot of that can be attributed to residues building up. I bought both of mine used & I guess they were not well taken care of. The buildup of residue wears the slide bar and ejectors down really fast. I keep mine cleaned real well, but I still have occasional problems with malfunctions. Unfortunately replacement parts are scarce & very hard to come by. Hopefully that has been fixed in the new 750.

This is a thread for the "shooting forum"
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    This is a thread for the "shooting forum"
    Good catch. Thread moved

If you are not going to shoot the rifle much and plan to use it in nice weather, the Remington 750 will probably be fine. Otherwise, get yourself a bolt action.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Remington 750 semi-auto rifles? How do they compare to a BAR?
    Considering buying one in .35 Whelen.

Thanks.
    I have a long acquaintance with the 740 line, ranging from some that worked well to some that didn't, but none firsthand with the 750. Two buds have 750's and they seem are a little courser finished than the 740's, but seem to be a heck of a lot more reliable. Two rifles owned by friends aren't a good survey of the whole model run, but they're a good start.

Every Remington auto loader i have had the displeasure of shooting had jamming problems. Not a fan of them at all. I have not shot the new ones but the old ones were a PITA. i never owned one but the guys i know who had them all got rid of them.

I went through the same thing two years ago and bought the 750 in 35 whelen. I have an old model 742 from the 60's in 30-06 that I shot as a kid. I like the feel of the gun and wanted a newer and more reliable model and went with the 750. I also wanted a big "Alaska" caliber so opted for the Col. Whelen instead of the 06. There are some pluses and minuses I have seen.

The good:
    It is a handy little rifle even in the 22" barrel. The carbine would be really handy. I like the way it points, it feels good.
    35 Whelen is a good Alaska caliber without the recoil. Nice big exit wounds, good bone smashing kill 'em dead kind of stuff.
    It is easy enough to reload for with either 35 whelen brass or necked up 06 brass.
    The model has been around for ever. Many of the 750 parts are the same as the 7400 parts from years ago so it is not obsolete.
    Gotta love the quick follow-ups with the semi auto.
    It shoots reasonably well, under 2" groups at 100 yards.
    The issue of the bolt and receiver wearing out and not being able to be replaced was fixed from the old 742 model.
    The 750 gun model is supposed to have a gas tube changed that helps feed reliability from the previous model 7400.
    My wife likes it and uses it when she hunts

The bad:
    It does not cycle well with all ammo and is a bit picky (like all auto loaders).
    I have a 225 grain nosler partition loaded now, but my gun shoot them pretty slow at 2400fps.
    Factory ammo is not readily available. Nosler loads some and remington has one offering of a 200g bullet.
    It is not really weather proof like a synthetic bolt rifle.
    It is a bit harder to clean than a bolt.
    It is heavy for the size.
    It is loud loading it up such as on a stand or when you are sneaking through the woods and see an animal. Not an issue if you walk through the woods hot.
    Not a true DLP gun, I would not trust it fully if I was bear hunting.

I bought my gun mostly because I love the caliber and I like the autoloader. It is in my "quiver" of guns and comes out when I am on short hunts in reasonably good weather or my wife is hunting. It is loaded slow, but that is fine by me since my wife is not fond of recoil. I put a fixed 4 power scope on it and have a 200 yard limit on shooting game. I have never shot the BAR, so I can't give you much help there. I found them WAY cheaper on line than in town, over $200 less. Good luck.