Thread: PWS Deer Story

Default PWS Deer Story

Just noticed this neat story posted in the Cordova Times about the start of the PWS deer herd and the managing of it. I had read a book in the Kodiak Library with the first hand account of the guys who caught the deer using a dog that chased them into the water. The point about bad winter die offs being way worse on the herd than hunting is an important lesson. Trimming the herd early in the winter by beach hunting makes the rest of the winter less traumatic on the deer that survive hunting season. Less deer competing for hard to find food when it matters the most; late winter and early spring. I've heard the stories from some of the old timers about huge winter die offs when deer were literally piled up dead on the beaches like cord wood.

http://www.thecordovatimes.com/artic...rns_about_deer
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    I've heard the stories from some of the old timers about huge winter die offs when deer were literally piled up dead on the beaches like cord wood.
    That was spring of '07 down here in N'ern SE. ADF&G encouraged shooting of bucks and fawns in Dec '06. They reported snow was 10 foot deep on the beach in Tenakee Inlet in March of 2007. It didn't let up on them between Vet's Day and Easter. It was a great downhill ski year tho.

Very good story. Thanks for sharing.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859