Thread: Help my confussion please, 45LC

Question Help my confussion please, 45LC

I have been a 45LC owner for along time, having an older large frame Vaquaro and a Colt cowboy (which handles only lighter loads) but now, want to pick up a revolver for handgun hunting.
    Settled on the Ruger Bisley in 44 mag but, looking at the ammo and reloading components available, looks like the 45LC in the Biesley may fit the bill (offering velocities & energy along with the 44mag.) and stay along with my Favorite Cartridge. Please opinions on why the 45 LC may not be good for hunting????

PS, down here in NY it would be Deer hunting only.

Went DEEEEEPer with my search and found my answers.. I guess its a go with the 45LC. Thanks

the .45 is great, and with proper handloads suitable for most anything ( especially with heavy hardcast bullets in the 300-325gr class). my .45's in the ruger and freedom arms are both strong and accurate, offering everything i want in a hunting cartridge. the .45 case isn't designed to be as strong as the .44. loading manuals and die companies warn against "pulling off the rim" of the case while loading or ejecting. also the .45 isn't rated for .44magnum pressures.

if you only will be satified with max pressures/velocity go with the .44.
    happy trails.
    jh

I've whapped half a dozen deer with the 45 using 250 grain hardcast loaded at around 750 from a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. It's my usual carry gun and I'm fairly handy with it and that load. Shots were to just shy of 60 yards, and every one went down like it was electrocuted. The key element for quick kills at moderate velocities seems to be the large meplat on the hard cast. You can snort up the loads if you feel obliged, but I like the original ballistics with that large meplat. If I feel the need for more snort, I just go to a 44 mag or 454, but for deer it's just not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've whapped half a dozen deer with the 45 using 250 grain hardcast loaded at around 750 from a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. It's my usual carry gun and I'm fairly handy with it and that load. Shots were to just shy of 60 yards, and every one went down like it was electrocuted. The key element for quick kills at moderate velocities seems to be the large meplat on the hard cast. You can snort up the loads if you feel obliged, but I like the original ballistics with that large meplat. If I feel the need for more snort, I just go to a 44 mag or 454, but for deer it's just not needed.

Which brings up another point. I have a 4.5" 02 Vaquaro, yes just with a blade up front and hammer grove in the rear but, I do well with it a 25 yrds. For some reason I would just not feel right with it in the woods as my hunting implement but, not sure why. Most of my shots would never be over 40-50 yrds and if they were, I'd pass. I always carry it as a side arm when hunting but, as my main shooter? Opinions??

Althought, the Bisley looks nice....

Nothing wrong with a fixed sight gun if you shoot it well. Don't know anyone that adjust their sights while hunting.Of course another gun in 45colt is always a good answer as it give you one more 45colt.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Nothing wrong with a fixed sight gun if you shoot it well. Don't know anyone that adjust their sights while hunting.Of course another gun in 45colt is always a good answer as it give you one more 45colt.
    Aggreed, tune it to your hunting load and use it or buy another and tune it to your hunting load.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It might give you an excuse to have a brass or gold bead front sight put on, the all black sights go invisible pretty quick in the shadows.

Hopefully it goes without saying that you'll want to take extreme care to ensure none of your hunting loads ever end up in one of your other guns not built for the pressure...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I just bought a new Bisley Hunter in 44 Mag. It is the most comfortable big bore handgun I have ever shot. Stings my palm less than my 357Blackhawk does with 357s in it. I'm still unsure as to whether or not I want to leave the barrel 7.5" or trim it back to 5.5". I think that if you try it you will like the Bisley, just make sure to keep the ripsnortin loads in the Bisley and out of the Colt.

all good advice and if you knew me, my wife calls me Monk, my ammo is seperated and well marked.
    Still headed toward the Bisley but, will wait until after the Holidays and go from there. Thanks all, Joe