Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fixing a ski and other such things.

Default fixing a ski and other such things.

So, there I was, running wide open in that horrible snow storm we had yesterday (couldn't even see 50 yards) and I hit a burm flipping me off and running into a fence (the person I was racing with said I flipped a few times) turns out I broke my ski, this has happened 2 times before. the bolt basically wears through the "wall" that said bolt goes through and holds the ski on. the previous 2 times I got a piece of flat iron and welded it on the side, it seemed to work. hasn't broke through sense. but is there an easier way to fix it? I looked at new skis and they are 160 buck, I was wondering if there is a different model (I only know of one other ovation up here, and thats a friends that is about as crappy as mine) that would work. its kinda a pain as I just got it running again. got any ideas? thanks
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Did brake the ski mount? Maybe something like this would help ..?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Yamaha-G...item2eb90d458a

That looks like a bit different set up than mine but I'll check, not sure, thanks! ya it wore through the ski mount.

I just realized that I didn't post the "other such things" that I was gonna ask....

I'm getting about 10 MPG, is that normal? when I'm running wide open it seems gutless, I never noticed that before, also when its warm you have to give it a little gas even though I set it so it idles high (high enough to move the machine when idling)
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

It's an ovation, I would weld it up and drive on. As to the other things, I would bet it is gutless because it is carrying more weight on the saddle than it was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    It's an ovation, I would weld it up and drive on. As to the other things, I would bet it is gutless because it is carrying more weight on the saddle than it was last year.
    You got me there....uhh, muscle weights more than fat...uhh huh....

When I was your age, a school buddy did almost exactly the same thing. Except in his case he spent a long time in Intensive Care, and it took several surgeries to sew his face back together. When he finally came back to school, he looked like Bride of Frankenstein. Just say'n.

Glad you didn't wake up a quadriplegic this morning. Good luck with the ski.

Didn't think you'd escape this one without a lecture, did you?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    When I was your age, a school buddy did almost exactly the same thing. Except in his case he spent a long time in Intensive Care, and it took several surgeries to sew his face back together. When he finally came back to school, he looked like Bride of Frankenstein. Just say'n.

Glad you didn't wake up a quadriplegic this morning. Good luck with the ski.

Didn't think you'd escape this one without a lecture, did you?

I knowd I shoulda kept my mouth shut! HeHe. next time I will take safety glasses, cause it was snowing so hard I would close my eyes for a second or 2 then keep them open for a second or 2 till the filled up with snow, so on and so forth, I wouldn't think there would be a burm in the middle of a field....

The whole story was I was it was a lazy sunday after noon.....(Ok I'll spare you some of the gory details) anyway, the girl that lives out in point mack that I was riding with wanted to see if my 340 could keep up with her 670 (she's playing hard to get ) anyway I was on one side of the road and she was on the other, and we was running wide open, and well I just kinda started floating, then my legs stopped but my hand (that was gripped to the handle bars, and as luck would have it, the throttle too) well, I thought to my self, "self, you better pull your self back on cause there is a tree common up real quick about 40 yards ahead"....well, I managed to get my self kinda sorta pulled on and my hand was still gripping the throttle and there comes the turn ing the road and next thing I know I'm rolling in the air and then in the snow, well, my snow machine was still headed somewhat straight, right to the farmers fence (stingy farmers too, not the kind that would let you fix said fence with bailing wire) so I did one of those awesome rolls that they do on the movies and landed on my feet and bought the snomachine as it was touching the fence, no harm done, except to my pride (cause she beat me) and ski....she gave me a hard time about that every chance she got.....

So, there I was, running wide open in that horrible snow storm we had yesterday (couldn't even see 50 yards)
    And there's your first problem. Solution... don't outrun your visibility.

and I hit a burm flipping me off and running into a fence (the person I was racing with said I flipped a few times)
    And there's problems 2 & 3. Solution... don't outdrive your abilities or race under less than perfect conditions.

I broke my ski, this has happened 2 times before. the bolt basically wears through the "wall" that said bolt goes through and holds the ski on. the previous 2 times I got a piece of flat iron and welded it on the side, it seemed to work
    If it keeps breaking, it seems that it isn't working.

is there an easier way to fix it?
    No. Skis can't be fixed. They must be replaced. You wouldn't weld a piece of flatbar over a cracked wheel on your truck, would you?

I looked at new skis and they are 160 buck (sic)
    Welcome to the world of owning off road vehicles. They cost money (though $160 is pretty reasonable compared to most). Once you make the link between driving habits and the cost of repairs, you'll find that you don't need to spend nearly as much money on repairs. Sounds like you're well on your way through that little life lesson. Good luck with the journey.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    And there's your first problem. Solution... don't outrun your visibility.

And there's problems 2 & 3. Solution... don't outdrive your abilities or race under less than perfect conditions.

No. Skis can't be fixed. They must be replaced. You wouldn't weld a piece of flatbar over a cracked wheel on your truck, would you?

Welcome to the world of owning off road vehicles. They cost money (though $160 is pretty reasonable compared to most). Once you make the link between driving habits and the cost of repairs, you'll find that you don't need to spend nearly as much money on repairs. Sounds like you're well on your way through that little life lesson. Good luck with the journey.

LOL! someone got pwned here

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

ah but it does work, till it breaks.....and yes if I new wheel took me 2 days to earn and it was crackd I'd probably weld over it and see what happened....Id freeze it first so it was as small as possible then weld it so as it expanded the crack wouldn't get any bigger... basically when I weld a piece of flat iron on to the side wall (if thats not what its called, bear with me) I'm pretty much cutting it out to the same size and bore a hole in it to send the bolt through, making the 1/8 inch steel 3/8 inch thick....

Berms, ditches, barbed wire fences, miscellaneous pieces of farm equipment, and all manner of other things that can kill you are to be found in the middle of fields. You should know that. And racing girls will get you into trouble about every time too.... Lotsa lessons for one afternoon.

I suppose no eye protection means you weren't wearing a helmet either? Somebody aughta slap you boy! You tryin to earn a Darwin award?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Berms, ditches, barbed wire fences, miscellaneous pieces of farm equipment, and all manner of other things that can kill you are to be found in the middle of fields. You should know that. And racing girls will get you into trouble about every time too.... Lotsa lessons for one afternoon.

I suppose no eye protection means you weren't wearing a helmet either? Somebody aughta slap you boy! You tryin to earn a Darwin award?
    Actually I was wearing a helmet, but it came off somehow the 2nd time I went off that little jump

Thanks, fellas for looking out for me, I appreciate it even if I don't seem like it most times. somebody's gotta keep me in line...

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Actually I was wearing a helmet, but it came off somehow the 2nd time I went off that little jump
    You may be a lost cause.....

#Resist

im guessing your the same age as me, 14, but hey gotta love alaska

Ah the kid's a survivor, and he's got moxie. I'd much rather have a bunch of kids like him who know how to do things- REAL THINGS- than a bunch of button pushing punks who probably couldn't fix a ski if their life depended on it. Kids have been having reckless fun on motorized conveyances for a hundred years and most have survived.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...motorized conveyances for a hundred years...
    Has it really been that long? It seems like just yesterday...
    #Resist

I gotta agree with iofthetaiga, you got lucky this time, hopefully you learned from this experience. I have broken my sled dozens of times, and every time, I learned something. Don't do full throttle runs on glare ice, don't highmark on bare ground, watch out for stumps, make sure the tank has gas before water running across the lake, etc. Looks like you learned that women can be trouble If you look at my helmet, you will find that it has saved me multiple times from a good bump. Always wear a helmet. Yellow lenses can help you see in whiteout but you still can't see through crud.

Your Ovation is probably very similar to the one my friend had in the 90's. It was only a 340 twin air cooled so it didn't have much snap, but on the long stretches it would hit 90... eventually, and it was worthless in deep powder. The older Yamaha's were known for having the oil injector fail, so I would recommend forgetting it and mixing gas. If you think it has lost power, you could do a compression test. Look for 120+ psi. $160 sounds about right for a ski saddle. They are usually tough to fix, unless you could get it welded. Just wait until you upgrade to a bigger machine and find out how expensive things can really get. I figure if I can get through a season without spending more than $400 on parts, I am doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    ah but it does work, till it breaks.....and yes if I new wheel took me 2 days to earn and it was crackd I'd probably weld over it and see what happened....Id freeze it first so it was as small as possible then weld it so as it expanded the crack wouldn't get any bigger... basically when I weld a piece of flat iron on to the side wall (if thats not what its called, bear with me) I'm pretty much cutting it out to the same size and bore a hole in it to send the bolt through, making the 1/8 inch steel 3/8 inch thick....
    If your ski mounting bolt has worn through a 3/8" thick web on the ski, twice, then something is seriously lacking in your repair work. Can you post a picture of the ski as it's mounted on the sled (e.g. the other side if it's not broken) and a picture of the repair that you've done (but has failed)? I bet we could get you a little assist with the needed engineering to get beyond this issue.

I've actually been there, though I was never beat by a girl.... wait... ok, just that one time, but that was on a Cat in the early 90's so I think statute of limitations has passed. Anyhow, I broke a ski or two on the old springers in the 80's and we did a lot of "farm boy" repairs back then that quite often simply involved welding more beef on top.

And I'll admit that this one time I did weld up a broken outer tie rod end on an early 70's Datsun and drove it for a few days while waiting for the new tie rod to show up at the parts store. That was absolutely forbidden to weld on drive train components at dad's shop because it wasn't safe. But I think my snowmachine weighed more than that car.... I know it had more power, that's for sure.

But now I'm rambling... so, you got some pictures of this carnage?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Your most likely issue with that Ovation was the warm temps on Sunday. As warm as it was a carbed machine that runs well at 10F is going to run bad at 30F. It's all about jetting.

I'm pretty sure the ovation runs the same skis as the Phazers of it's generation. You should be able to find them at a snowmachine salvage place for cheap. If it's wearing out like you say, it's time for new bushings also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast