Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 1000 sdi

Default The 1000 sdi

I have been looking through the want adds and dreaming of a new to me sled......no there is no way I can afford to move on one this season, in all things my family comes first! Anyhow the 1000sdi equiped summits all tend to be cheaper than compairable 800cc sleds. Was there an issue with the reliability of this motor? I do hope to someday get a second sled, it would allow me to share my passion with my family and it never hurts to do a bit of reasurch.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

1000 is to much sled, and not enought support for aftermarket parts thats why its like that rickyp
    Semper Fi!

It was a problematic motor and word spread fast. The 800 has been a solid machine. A 1000 is a monster to ride. I have friends that tried the 1000's in both Cat and Doo flavor and all of them are back on 800's again.

Thanks Doug! I haven't ridden either yet but it dose seem to me that the 800 has the ideal power to wieght ratio. This is one area it seems the money saved is not worth the sacrifice.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

It's a far cry from the Tundra you started with I wish they still made 700's. That, to me, was the ideal sized machine.

Im still on the Tundra and its a great sled! But I and my family have out grown it. There was a time we could all three ride it, that time is past and my wife is never going to learn to ride decently with my big butt on the back of the Tundra! I need to hand it down to her so we all three can ride together again and she learns how to ride.

I still turn heads on it down in Turnagin or up in Hatchers! Those kids think I am one bat sh*& crazy old man hill climbing on a trapping sled!
    BHA Member

More power to yah Rick. You're a mighty cool traditional guy who knows more than most about traditional bows, hunts in a freighter canoe, and runs utility sleds.

That's a wild man's sled. I almost went that route too. I hopped on an Arctic Cat M-900 mountain sled. I touched the throttle while going up a hill and I lost count of how long I was in the air. The motor sounded like a raging demon from the dark side. The thing weighed nothing, and on top of that, had a lighter gas tank, lighter seat, reeds, pipes, and a heavier duty chain......... as if 900 cc's of stock motor wasn't enough power. I almost traded the guy for it, but thought to myself.....this thing is a widow maker! I told the guy, there is no need of a married man like you owning a machine like this. He smiled and asked in his thick Maine accent "I know!, aint it Wicked?" I passed up on it, thought I wouldn't live past that winter.

I tried out my buddy's 800 RMK this weekend...wow, but no thanks. I'll gladly stay on the low and slow side!

When I was younger with smaller brains and bigger cojones I had a fast Ninja 600 motorcycle... I'm pretty sure that snowmachine would outrun it to any speed under three digits.

For me the 800's are the perfect motor class. My cousin has an m7 and it gets him around fine but felt anemic carrying my weight compared to the 800 cat that I had a couple years ago. For running rivers my 550 liquid cat gets the job done without guzzling gas. My old 800 would drain the wallet in a hurry no matter what but it bought a lot of grins in the process. Even at over 250lbs I don't think a 1000cc machine would pay off for me.just too much gas usage and not that much bennefit. If I could have any sled on the market I would be running a stock 800 RMK pro 155. maybe next year...

"ain't it Wicked"

That's something you don't hear very often up here!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I tried out my buddy's 800 RMK this weekend...wow, but no thanks. I'll gladly stay on the low and slow side!

When I was younger with smaller brains and bigger cojones I had a fast Ninja 600 motorcycle... I'm pretty sure that snowmachine would outrun it to any speed under three digits.

hahah 600cc ninja aint fast!
    Semper Fi!

I dont really see an advantge to the 1000, just thought it might be more within my reach........the idea of me owning one scares the hell outa Tracy! Frankly if I could get my hands on any sled that runs for her to ride and learn on I'd be a very happy man! We could always hand the smaller sled down to Gun when he is ready and then she could ride the 550 and I could get something better suited to my frame and style of ridding in a few years. "Ideal world" pick for me? I'd love a 06 Summit with a 800..............dreaming of a new "free ride" would just be torturing myself.
    BHA Member

You should be able to find a mid 90's 340 class sled if you keep an eye out for very reasonable. It would make a great starter sled for the wife and be a great sled for the boy when he grows a bit.

Between Tracy changing jobs, me having surgery next month and a family emergency that took us out of state we wont even be exchanging gifts at Yule this year. A sled is just going to have to wait......however your right Lujon, lots of older sledds avaible out there. And thanks for the advice! It is apreciated.
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    More power to yah Rick. You're a mighty cool traditional guy who knows more than most about traditional bows, hunts in a freighter canoe, and runs utility sleds.

That's a wild man's sled. I almost went that route too. I hopped on an Arctic Cat M-900 mountain sled. I touched the throttle while going up a hill and I lost count of how long I was in the air. The motor sounded like a raging demon from the dark side. The thing weighed nothing, and on top of that, had a lighter gas tank, lighter seat, reeds, pipes, and a heavier duty chain......... as if 900 cc's of stock motor wasn't enough power. I almost traded the guy for it, but thought to myself.....this thing is a widow maker! I told the guy, there is no need of a married man like you owning a machine like this. He smiled and asked in his thick Maine accent "I know!, aint it Wicked?" I passed up on it, thought I wouldn't live past that winter.

Thanks man! Really aperciate that.
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    hahah 600cc ninja aint fast!

yaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnn........uh-huh.

Now I know why the manufacturer's quit making big motored sleds: girly men.

More power makes them easier to ride, you use the throttle just like you'd use the steering. Jeez...

You jump on that 1000 ASAP and never look back. You'll have so much fun you won't want to get off the thing.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

You obviously have never had a 1000 summit next to a good 800 summit. Or possibly never been on a 1000 summit period. The owners of the first two years 1000 summits were screaming mad when the stock '06 800 walked away from them. And this is only the first of many reasons not to have one.

A Cat H.O. 800 has no problems keeping up with their 1000 either...and now the 1000 is gone.

Arctic Cat was IMO one of the first companies that could actually build a relatively reliable 900-1000 cc two stroke snowmachine. I remember in the early 90's when some other companies tried to hang, well......the polaris "storm" and the Ski Doo Mach Z simply blew up trying to keep up. It has to be those Suzuki two stroke motors that Arctic Cat use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast