Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Shootin Irons ever owned by category

Default Worst Shootin Irons ever owned by category

We all talk about the best we have owned or shot.

How about the stinkers we dumped as soon as possible?

Shotgun: Had a JC Higgins 410 bolt action that fired when moving the safety in any direction.

Revolver: Had a Dan Wesson (yeah I know) 22 mag that would never let you eject the brass without driving each one out with a punch. Sorta ties with a weird west german cheapo revolver (Artmesis?) I had that would spit lead out and shoot your range buddies.

Auto pistol: Had a H&K P-7M8 when they first came out. The striker mechanism would skip over the striker if it was in the least bit dirty. In 1985 it cost me $500 and was sold after 5 or six of these malfunctions. About 4 weeks later. The company just told me to keep it clean and shot super clean ammo. Stopping on almost every range session is BS. particularly for a high end gun.

Rifle semi Auto: I had an AR-15 (car-15 clone) at one time made by a company I can't remember. Around 1982. You basically had to hold the magazine in place due to the slopy parts not being in the right place. What a piece of #$%*.

Rifle Bolt: Bought a M-70 classic in stainless with a boss that was not straight with the barrel. The plastic stock had been bedded with a hot glue gun. the bolt shroud was not complete.... Must have been a Monday gun.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

had a spainsh made 50cal. muzzle loader that could not shot a tight group at 50yds. Best way to kill with it was to climb a tree and when the deer walk under it, DROP IT ON HIM!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default worst ever

Traded my nice .22 Winchester Bolt Action when I was 17 for a high powered rifle, a 7.35 Carcarno. Little ball of flame shot out the action the few times I shot it, and the bullets could barely hit the paper at 25 yards, most of which were tumbling.

Default worst bang-spear

I had a Boito side by side 12 guage (Kmart circa 1979) that blew in half when I waylayed a red fox squirrel. The butt stock and the rodent hit the ground about the same time.
    I'm still thankful to have all my body parts.
    Dad took it back to the land of the blue light and swapped it out on a Mossberg 600 pump that I still have.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Revolver: Had a Dan Wesson (yeah I know) 22 mag that would never let you eject the brass without driving each one out with a punch.
    i've never owned a dan wesson, but there are some revolvers made with very tight chamber tolerances to enhance the accuracy. i think that freedom arms makes them that way. i'm pretty sure their website even says you'll have to drive the empty cases out with a dowel and hammer.

Default My worst....

I've shot more kinds of guns than I can remember but the worst one that I can think of was a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine.
    You can't imagine a more painful gun to shoot. It wasn't the recoil (as that was virtually non existent), but rather the sharp crack that it produced. If you for some reason you were attacked by a rogue squirrel and had to defend your very life, you’d first have to take the time to put ear plugs in and ear muffs over them.
    The report was painful – your ears would ring for three days and your teeth would hurt every time you shot it.
    While I hated the gun, I held onto it for over ten years – mostly because a friend of mine wanted it and I couldn’t just let him have it. I finally traded it to him for a .44 which was much more enjoyable to shoot.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post
    I've shot more kinds of guns than I can remember but the worst one that I can think of was a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine.
    You can't imagine a more painful gun to shoot. It wasn't the recoil (as that was virtually non existent), but rather the sharp crack that it produced. If you for some reason you were attacked by a rogue squirrel and had to defend your very life, you’d first have to take the time to put ear plugs in and ear muffs over them.
    The report was painful – your ears would ring for three days and your teeth would hurt every time you shot it.
    While I hated the gun, I held onto it for over ten years – mostly because a friend of mine wanted it and I couldn’t just let him have it. I finally traded it to him for a .44 which was much more enjoyable to shoot.

I have a friend with an Automag III, an autoloading 30 carbine pistol. Someone started shooting a Desert Eagle 50 in the stall next to us at the indoor range (Firing Line) and proceeded to concuss everyone with the muzzle blast. My friend pulled out the 30 and rattled off about 5 shots rapidly and the people shooting the 50 were peaking around the corner asking us what the heck WE were shooting. I think they got the point and put the 50 away (or maybe they couldn't afford to shoot it more but I like my version better).

Worst gun I have ever shot has to be a Jennings that another friend had bought back when we were wee teenagers. The slide flew down range as I was shooting it. I wasn't even surprised.

Default 70s S&W

S&W model 59 circa 1979, real POS, only gun I have ever just gotten rid of. Apparently worked OK for one shot though, long story.

Dave

I've owned about 15 SKS's and about 10 AK-47's.... Nuff Said!

- Clint

Default ditto

Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post
    my buddy has the same and it rivals the 454 casull or the ported marlin gg. very nasty loudness

Default Worst...

Shotgun-Model 500 Mossberg that I bought a long time ago. Couldn't keep an outer extractor in it, and the little bent metal inside extractor would bend, then break. Nasty gun.

Pistol-One of the little Stoeger Luger look alikes in .22. Started out, it would cycle about once in three tries, then quit going bang altogether, even when single fed.

Auto rifle-the M16 I was issued in the AF. It still had the three pronged flash suppressor, no forward assist. It WAS a Colt, though. If I sat the butt ont he ground too hard, the forearms would fall off as the retaining ring spring was so weak that any rearward movement would let it come back far enough to release the scales.

Bolt action-FN actioned .264 Mag. Sort of a semi-custom job, it had a 20" barrel. Loud. Very loud. Sheet of flame would shoot out the end of the muzzle about six feet. Impressive at dusk or in the dark! One of those that if you didn't hit the critter, it'd blind and deafen them long enough to run up and cut their throat....it also had a bad barrel. Couldn't hit the INSIDE of a barn two times in a row with it. Pulled the barrel and turned it into a tomato stake, (really), and installed a Flaig 7mm mag barrel at 24", and it turned into a pretty decent rifle after that. Never had any use for a .264 since....

Default 410 bore Brit Enfield Conversion gone bad

I had a British Enfield converted to 410 bore by the Irish for use as a prision camp rifle. It was at a gun show and it was unique, but didn' shoot worth a tinkers dam.
    That gun would spray shot every way but forward and slugs would go every which way but straight. One could not blow apart a clay pigeon stationary at 25yds! the shot would scatter in no particular or regular pattern! the only thing you could rely on is that a shell would be wasted every time the trigger was pulled. I went with me to the next gun show and was bought by someone else who found it "unique" I did tell of it's horrible inaccuracy, but he wanted it as a wall hanger and way happy with it.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default H & R 22 cal. pistol

H & R 22 cal pistol. You could hold it up as in shooting in a tree and it would shoot every time. Hold it down as in shooting in the ground and the transfer bar would catch over the firing pin and would not shoot. You could not pull the triger.

Default worst irons

Well no punches pulled with these by brand- most of these date years back so I don't even remember the model #s and mostly don't care. Each was factory and unaltered and some maybe near sacred to many owners but...

Ruger 77 bolt gun. Probably had a Ruger subcontracted barrel and ream job. The neck diameter was at least .030" over standard diameter. Destroyed brass in about 2 reloadings and groups were more like random patterns.

Colt 70 or 80 series?? 38 Super. Can anyone say malfunction, stovepipe, jam, failure to feed.

Savage 30-30 bolt gun. Piece o junk

Ruger 10-22 rifle. Innacurate and prone to wear and jam

Ruger Security Six- issued gun. Affectionately called the "claw hammer". Shoot a few cast bullets and the cylinder would jam against the forcing cone. Outfit sent back about a 100 for modifications. Turned it in and bought a S&W 19 out of my pocket- problem solved

Smith & Wesson semi-auto in 40 S&W- issued gun. Can I say stovepipe, failure to feed, jam... again. S&W certified gunsmiths couldn't fix it- tried twice. S&W itself couldn't fix it, then just kept it. Not to mention the manual safety and decocking lever- exactly the gizmos you don't need if you have to skin it under pressure and shoot! Bought a Glock out of my pocket- problem solved
    Last edited by George; 03-30-2007 at 16:32.

Default Worst Shootin' Iron!

Definitely a Dan Wesson .44 magnum. Thankfully, I received this clunker as a gift from an ex-girlfriend (the 'ex' part wasn't due to the shabby gift she gave me, however!).

The revolver spit lead from the cylinder/barrel gap when fired, and was as ungainly as a _________ (place your own favorite saying here).

This is the only gun I have ever sold, and was not sad to see it gold. Actually, "relief" is the word I would use!

Without a doubt the .308 Savage model 99 -- piece of crap

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    Without a doubt the .308 Savage model 99 -- piece of crap
    I have one of those, I inherited it from my Dad. Not sure why he had it, he never hunted or anything, I think he got it in the early 60s? I was thinking of shooting it but am kind of afraid of it, doesn't look like it has even had any oil on it since the 60s. heh

Default S&W shotgun

I can say the only really bad gun I've ever owned was a S&W pump action shotgun. It was used, and I only paid 70 dollars for it, but the first time I used it, I slid the action open and when I tried to close the slide, the action bar broke and it was stuck open. I told the guy at the gunshop I bought it from about it and he was more than happy to buy it back after I explained that I was only 16.
    I also had a Remington Nylon 66 knockoff that was about as accurate as my fly casting.

I had one of those S&W 916 Pumps back in 1977. The firing pin broke after about 20 rounds. So I borrowed a military issue punch pin and turned it down until it was an oversized version of a firing pin. I sold it fairly fast after that.

Anyone ever have one of those Chinese Makarovs?
    I had one for awhile that would toss, not propel, the slugs all over the place. Then I noticed that the little stubby projectiles would actually roll back down the back-stop hill. They did not have enough power to enter the sand and gravel...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 16 gauge single shot

I was ready to move up from a .410 and my trusty nylon sixtysix. Dad let me shoot his 870 (12 gauge) which I shot well but it was to darn heavy for 12 year old me to tote around. My christmas present that year was a single shot 16 gauge. Man was I excited I had made the transition to manhood. All my dreams crumbled with the first shot. That thing KICKED LIKE A MULE. It was a stevens. Even today I wouldnt pick one up and shoot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast