Thread: Hess creek?

Default Hess creek?

Has anyone ever put into Hess creek off the Dalton and floated down to the Yukon? Our family has some cabins about 16 miles downstream from the bridge on the Yukon, so I figure I could make it there with a zodiac or just have someone meet me at the intersection of the creek and the yukon... Just wondering if anyone has been down it for moose and how navigable it is... On the map it has a lot of twists and turns, im guessing some sweepers..Any info would be appreciated..Thanks...

I have hunted up from the bridge. Water levels vary a lot. One year it was a trickle, the next year, jet boats were being used. It's a thin area for moose.. it gets better down river(and the pressure increases).. moose are somewhat educated, and will be back from the river a bit.

I'll defer to someone that has actually gone down river.. but i've heard it is navigable, especially in higher water years.

I will definitely agree with the moose being thin in that general area.. We have noticed tho the last couple of years a lot more moose sign in places we didnt see them in before over by the cabins on the north side of the yukon... Thanks for the info tho sir... Maybe I will take a trip down there prior to the season to scope it out..

Default Hess

Lots of boats hunt that section of river, good luck with traffic

Well, I am currently just looking at a few different options for moose next year.. Hey, if I get lucky and get my draw tag I won't have to worry about it..

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    Well, I am currently just looking at a few different options for moose next year.. Hey, if I get lucky and get my draw tag I won't have to worry about it..
    After Sept 10 it seems moose travel that river... coming down from the upper river.. one moose makes a good hunt..

good luck.