Thread: Long range snub nose shooting

Default Long range snub nose shooting

I was just wondering, at what distances do you like shooting your snub nose guns at ? Sometimes I like taking shots out to 40 or so yards, with my 2 1/2 barrel 686. I can usually keep them in a paper plate at that range, when resting my hand on something. Whats your long range shooting like ? I do it just for fun !

I just figured id try it at that range, in case im out in the woods, and a paper plate sneaks up on me. Good to know I might survive the encounter !

I've only shot a snub nose 2 times and one was at 5 yards the other at 25 the first time I was using a 38 charter arms and it was grouping right in the size of a quarter, the 2nd time I was using a ruger 380 and it was grouping right inside a paper plate per mag, 3 shot groups were tighter of course, as the barrel warmed up the shots widened cause we were doing fast shooting, I noticed I held it steadier when focusing on the sights instead of looking at the laser (it had a laser grip).
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I've never shot my DetSpc any further than 15-20yds. SA, resting my forearms I can shoot 2-3 inch 6rnd groups. Shooting off hand DA is different story. group opens up to 10-12 inches and I'm shooting low left. I can shoot my 4" 454 Redhawk DA with heavy 355gr loads much better. I think shooting snubbies DA accurately with sights takes lots of practice. I find the snubbie hard to shoot DA unless I am shooting slow and really concentrate. But, to draw and shoot in a SHTF situation, I look at the snubbie as more of a FTF belly gun. May have to see how it shoots SA with a rest at longer range just for fun though.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

If your not Bob Mundan then as Snyd says "Lots of Practice". I thought I was good enough that when a wounded deer needed stopped I tried with a 38 snubbie... hit 4 out of five at about a hundred yards- did stop the deer-- but it wasn't pretty. Tried on paper next day at same range and got about same results- 16 to 18" pattern. I am much better with my 4" revolvers, however I do practice bunches with them as my woods carry gun(s). I can usually keep a group at 6" with controlled single action at 100 yards.
    A sheriff deputy friend of mine in Texas made a 250 yard ballon shot (about 10") on his first attempt. He shoots his "service revolver" alot. It's a four inch Smith and Wesson 357.

Chris

He also has gold bars across his front sight for aiming at distance.

Chris

Most of my shooting is at Birchwood anymore. If on their 25yard range with my snub 38s or 44 Spc I'll shoot at targets out to 10 yards. But before I leave I run one or two cylinders thru at rocks in the backstop, maybe 80-90 feet(?). I doubt (like one in a million) I'll ever be shooting seriously that far with one but I like to know what they (and me) are capable of at distance.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I love shooting long range with handguns...any handgun, including snubbies. Its not that hard and you can hit stuff to surprising ranges.

My vintage "I Frame" Smith in the anemic .32S&W long with consistently hit B27s out to about the 60 yd mark but I have to concentrate and fire single action. DA in a hurry? Not in a million years.

I had a GP100 in a 6" that I went 6 for 6 at 100yds on a 5 gallon bucket on a bet and then went 3 for 6 at 150 when he tried to win his cash back.

Yea I play all the time, itís amazing what a little short barrel can do. When I was in my teens I winged a 22lr from a 2-ĹĒ barreled old Colt way over 200 yards into a coffee can on a bet. Every since then I have been trying all kinds of long shots with all kinds of guns, donít always hit but I do always get close enough to shock people who think of handguns as a short range tool.

At Ben Avery shooting range in Arizona on the rifle range I clanged a 500 yard steel with a Ruger Single Six just playing around. The guy next to me said ďIíll bet $100 you canít do that againĒ I thought I had maybe 20% chance but took the bet anyway and got me $100 . . . I then shot the rest of that box of 50 and never got within 5 feet after the first two.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I can keep my shots on a man target at 100yards with my Alaskan but pratice at 15yards which is five more than I plan on using it for.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My best friend used to carry a Smith J frame in 38 spl. I've seen him hit a 5 gallon bucket at 250 yards. We practiced a lot out to 25 yards at the range but in the field anything turned into a target. I have shot rams off a rail at 200 meters with my Officers Model 1911 45 acp pretty reliably though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !