Thread: Question about maps in the reg book

Default Question about maps in the reg book

When I am looking at these maps are the only places I can hunt the notated ones? I see there are a ton of little white areas, as well as light and dark green. Do these areas have different rules or anything? I am hoping not, but just want to be sure. I have also heard of private or Native Corp lands being out there, is there a reference out there to keep me out of trouble? I'd hate for my 1st big expedition to be soiled by a no trespassing sign.

Pick an area then look into the regional native corp. For instance if you are interested in the Denali Hwy or Copper Center area then the AHTNA website would have maps on their site showing native land. If you are interested in the Delta/FBX area then you also need to look at the DOD land. There is lots of challenges to hunting AK, there is tons of open lands but also plenty of large tracts that are off limits.

Usually in the regs the GMU is all white and the general regulations apply though they don't necessarily show private lands. The noted areas on the map will have a description that tells what additional limitations apply to that area. This tends to include things like non-motorized access units, muzzle loader only as well as closed areas etc.

Just like LuJon says, the maps in the reg books only contain data that is related to fish and game regulations. Pick a rough area of where and what you want to hunt and ask the question on this forum. Somebody will be able to guide you in the right direction for private property info in that area.

Do not take the outlined areas for granted as being correct ! Get a easy to read topo map and find the hunt area boundries by geographical description, often there are errors in what is printed for map boundries. Once you understand exactly where the hunt boundries are research where the restrictions within those boundries are.

Also there are several threads on land access and on-line resources for finding information. A couple of those posts from last year should be made a sticky, but if the links are changed then the thread would be useless.

Other than the corporation websites the DNR Alaska Mapper and the BLM Alaska GIS database are two of the best resources for generalized land records for the state.

Yeah I figured it wasn't so simple. I am looking into heading out of Whittier on kayaks for 10-20 miles out then hiking in. Anybody had experience around those parts?

The area you are looking at is primarily Chugach National Forest and state land. Here is a land use map for that area. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5238619.pdf