Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw the line?

Default Draw the line?

Ran into a chap I had not seen in a few years over the past weekend and we discussed hunting of course.
    He said,"well, did you see me on TV"? Hmm - no, why should I have? He said on the second morning of our IL 3 day deer gun season a warden and 2 news people with a camera running walked up to his elevated deer stand a little before 8 AM - prime deer hunting time - and the warden proceeded to check him out. He was told the tv crew was doing a story on deer hunters and wanted to tag along. All was Ok as this guy is very by - the - book, but in essence it ruined his moring hunt. The crew of 3 went on to check 2 of this guys friends and then the property owner who was very irate over the group of people running through his woods during the morning hunt. Warden said to calm down as he could go anywhere he wanted to - owner said maybe so, but I am pressing tresspassing charges on the tv people!
    I could have understood the tv crew interviewing hunters at their vehicles, and then asking the hunters if they could follow them to a stand if it was OK, but this seems to go way beyond what a warden should be doing to hunters in the woods??? I know after waiting a year for deer season to arrive, and it only running for 3 prime days, I would not be a happy camper to see a crew coming to my stand site! I have had wardens do it alone though - it may be part of their job but it sure leaves a sour taste to loose those quality hours when there are so few to enjoy...
    Anybody else have any unusual encounters?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Sounds like still another T.V. show in the making
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Smokey, not quite the same but did have a run in with the local CO. I was black bear hunting in northern Michigan, first day over bait. Our bait site was on state land, over a mile from the private property that my truck was parked on. We baited off an old railroad grade in a swamp. About an half hour before dark I shot a small black bear, not too bad for a Michigan bear. It dropped so no tracking. I slowly made my way to the bear and then began criticizing myself for shooting a small one. Then I hear a "bird" whistle. It was getting a little darker in the swamp so I am thinking, a little strange to hear a bird chirping now. Heard it again and glanced back to my stand, here was a guy waving at me. I first thought it was my buddy and maybe he got a bear and needed my help. NO it was the CO. He had heard me shoot and wanted to see where I was. Luckily for him the bear dropped because if it hadn't it may have retreated the same way it came, right in his direction. I was surprised to see him back in there, knowing I would come out to my truck. He really wanted to check out our bait pile as he had given tickets to other baiters in the area for leaving trash, buckets on the site. We can bait bears with any amount but can't use barrels, buckets. He had been looking for our site but couldn't find it as we used only sweets, not meat scraps and the crows and birds didn't give us away. Anyway he checked out my license and offered to get his 4 wheeler to assist me in getting the bear out. I dragged the bear out to the old railway grade and he went back to the truck and brought his 4 wheeler to me and hauled it out.

I remember a story from about 10 years ago.

Seems a group of elk hunters were getting ready to head out. PETA showed up. One by on the hunters left and PETA decided to follow the older, slower going hunter into the woods. They made lots of noise ruining his hunt completely. He stopped for lunch and they stayed. He hiked on, ever viligant for elk. PETA hung in there still making noise and ruining his hunt. About dusk, now miles from the starting point, the old hunter stopped in a little grassy clearing. The PETA members stopped too looking for elk that they figured the old hunter saw. The old hunter just took off his pack and sat down. Then he proceded to pull out a tent, sleeping bag and supper. The PETA members, as night settled in, asked him finally where the road was. He responded, 10-12 miles that way and then he went to bed.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The PETA members, as night settled in, asked him finally where the road was. He responded, 10-12 miles that way and then he went to bed.

Sweet, sweet justice.

Dave, I saw a similar news item from either CO or UT where the PETA guys were following the hunters around beating on pots and pans and shouting and yelling the whole time. A guy was out there with his 12 year oldish kid on his 1st hunt and they totally ruined it. The guy did the right thing in just going back to the truck and leaving, but it would be all I could do not to inflict some bodily harm on those jerks.

Not sure about Ill. but in Indiana we have strict hunter harrasment laws; the reporters and posiably the C.O. could be charged with. It is illegal in Indiana to interrupt a hunter while "set-up" on a hunt, on purpose. I have not been checked on stand or a set-up in a blind in several years. The Co's will wait for your hunt to end, unless you are doing something wrong. I have never had a problem and very few hunting buddies have either with a CO while hunting in Indiana in several years, any that have where doing something to draw attention to them.

Now to this case..... why wouldn't they contact the property owner first to try to set something up with the hunters on the property? That would make to much sense, I guess. I can't believe a CO would think it wise to take reporters into the feild on private property with out permision first. It would be much easier to go to public land. Maybe confrontation was what they were looking for? I would have to question this C.O. about his stance on right to hunt! I would definatly contact his superior or my state Rep. about this.

Back in the 70's My father and I, along with 4 of his buddies checked into an area on Redstone Arsenal to hunt. That morning a group protesting hunting on military property walked through the woods chanting and making lots of racket. The one gentleman who had deer tags limited out, all told we shot more game than we should have even seen. Quail, squirrels, rabbits, deer, and one turkey if I remember right. When we checked out range control was appolgetic and humble, the men folk just said " let us know if their going to do it again, we'll come and have a driven hunt!" (or something like that).

Chris

Warden said to calm down as he could go anywhere he wanted to
    Hmmm...I'm pretty sure that's not true. Seems to me he would need probable cause or a warrant to even set foot on private property...that whole Constitutional thing about unreasonable searches and seizures, you know. He could go anywhere he wanted on public land, but not private. It is my un-expert opinion that both the CO and the camera crew could be charged with trespassing. Of course it probably wouldn't stick on the CO, but at the very least it should get him in hot water with his superiors. Thoughts?

Sound Shots can be effective.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Shuks, Ive never been asked for my license or tags or anything, but we all know each other here, so its not hard to "Know".

Hmmmmmmmmexcept when Im buying the license or getting tags mid season, and the lady at the FnG desk asks to fill them in............
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Most wardens I know aren't really out to screw people. They'd just as soon wait by the truck and not piss off someone likely to help them out down the road than to pull a stunt like that. I'd bet it was a new guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I remember a story from about 10 years ago.

Seems a group of elk hunters were getting ready to head out. PETA showed up. One by on the hunters left and PETA decided to follow the older, slower going hunter into the woods. They made lots of noise ruining his hunt completely. He stopped for lunch and they stayed. He hiked on, ever viligant for elk. PETA hung in there still making noise and ruining his hunt. About dusk, now miles from the starting point, the old hunter stopped in a little grassy clearing. The PETA members stopped too looking for elk that they figured the old hunter saw. The old hunter just took off his pack and sat down. Then he proceded to pull out a tent, sleeping bag and supper. The PETA members, as night settled in, asked him finally where the road was. He responded, 10-12 miles that way and then he went to bed.

Come on, PETA people ruining a hunt. 10 - 12 miles from a road. No witnesses. Someone's got to be thinking what I'm thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Hmmm...I'm pretty sure that's not true. Seems to me he would need probable cause or a warrant to even set foot on private property...that whole Constitutional thing about unreasonable searches and seizures, you know. He could go anywhere he wanted on public land, but not private. It is my un-expert opinion that both the CO and the camera crew could be charged with trespassing. Of course it probably wouldn't stick on the CO, but at the very least it should get him in hot water with his superiors. Thoughts?
    Game Wardens have the most liberal authority of ANY law enforcement officer there is - they can come onto ANY private property ( even search inside your house ) with no warrent at ANY time. So in this case the CO was correct about his legal status to be there to check this hunter - however the additional camera crew and reporter to me seems out of bounds.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Sweet, sweet justice.
    +1... but in reality, justice would be filing harassment charges against those creeps.
    They may have had a long, dark walk to the road, but they took a day he'll never relive.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Game Wardens have the most liberal authority of ANY law enforcement officer there is - they can come onto ANY private property ( even search inside your house ) with no warrent at ANY time. So in this case the CO was correct about his legal status to be there to check this hunter - however the additional camera crew and reporter to me seems out of bounds.
    This is not true. They "may" have the ability to come on your property. They DO NOT have any right to come into your home without permission or a warrant. They may want you to think they can, but they can't. The US Constitution even applys to the possum cops.

Warden said to calm down as he could go anywhere he wanted to - owner said maybe so, but I am pressing tresspassing charges on the tv people!
    I agree with c04hoosier, the warden shouldn't be able to trespass on private land (if posted), unless that land was listed with IDNR as open to public hunter access. Illinois game wardens are certified peace officers, so they have the usual LE academy training and this one should have known better. As an owner, I've kicked LEOs off of my posted property, and although I don't know Illinois state laws, thankfully the Constitution still applies to all states!

Illinois has a huge problem with hunter trespass during deer season, more so than most other states. That's why they've been passing laws like this one: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...ct97-0477.aspx

As for the media, (I try to avoid generalizing but) I've yet to meet a tv reporter worth a darn. I'm always polite during license checks but I probably would've objected to their presence and (respectfully) delayed cooperation with the check until those news people moved out of earshot for privacy's sake. No reasonable LEO could object.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Game Wardens have the most liberal authority of ANY law enforcement officer there is - they can come onto ANY private property ( even search inside your house ) with no warrent at ANY time.
    This is not true but you do have a point. Under most states' laws, game officers do have some specific additional powers when pursuing fleeing poachers for game violations, but these privileges do not apply to normal job activities or to non-game related enforcement activities. Otherwise, the same laws apply to all State LEOs.

No one can legally search your house without (1) a warrant, (2) probable cause, or (3) the "patriot" act.

As for having "the most liberal authority of ANY law enforcement officer there is", depending on your definition, that dubious distinction probably goes first to the Coast Guard (which is the ONLY law enforcement agency that's Congressionally exempt from parts of 4A), second to the federal Marshals, and third to the FBI.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

You are correct Seraphina in regards to the dwelling search. In IL section 1.19 says they can search any and all lands and a long list of buildings and structures, however not "dwellings" without a search warrent.
    I had always been told they could - even local Leo's said that - but it appears they would need a warrent. It is very common for them to come onto private property however.
    Most are very good chaps and I respect what they are doing - the OP though seems to go beyond what I would consider acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Smokey, not quite the same but did have a run in with the local CO. I was black bear hunting in northern Michigan, first day over bait. Our bait site was on state land, over a mile from the private property that my truck was parked on. We baited off an old railroad grade in a swamp. About an half hour before dark I shot a small black bear, not too bad for a Michigan bear. It dropped so no tracking. I slowly made my way to the bear and then began criticizing myself for shooting a small one. Then I hear a "bird" whistle. It was getting a little darker in the swamp so I am thinking, a little strange to hear a bird chirping now. Heard it again and glanced back to my stand, here was a guy waving at me. I first thought it was my buddy and maybe he got a bear and needed my help. NO it was the CO. He had heard me shoot and wanted to see where I was. Luckily for him the bear dropped because if it hadn't it may have retreated the same way it came, right in his direction. I was surprised to see him back in there, knowing I would come out to my truck. He really wanted to check out our bait pile as he had given tickets to other baiters in the area for leaving trash, buckets on the site. We can bait bears with any amount but can't use barrels, buckets. He had been looking for our site but couldn't find it as we used only sweets, not meat scraps and the crows and birds didn't give us away. Anyway he checked out my license and offered to get his 4 wheeler to assist me in getting the bear out. I dragged the bear out to the old railway grade and he went back to the truck and brought his 4 wheeler to me and hauled it out.

Sounds like one of those made up e-mail stories that get forwarded around. Sounds to goofy to be true.

Here's one where a gal protesting a Duck hunt got shot in the face.
    http://www.theage.com.au/environment...320-1c2hc.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast