Thread: Questions on gear and tags

Post Questions on gear and tags

Well, after a few hours of searching and deliberating I believe I have all my tags picked out. But at least three of those tags come with questions: DM331, DM332, and DM333. Does anyone know about accessibility in these areas? DM333 looks accessible from the highway with about a 4 mile hike/ride. But the other two look like a pain in the butt.
    Next question I have involving equipment. Bipod vs. shooting sticks, What is everyones take on this? I took shooting sticks with me on a bear hunt and honestly they were a pain. Last question is whether walking sticks are worth the money? After a year of hunting I am definitely thinking about getting some and just want to know what everyone else thinks. Okay I lied one more... I know being on a budget and hunting in Alaska should never be mentioned in the same sentence. But does anyone know of any affordable hiking/hunting boots? Thanks ahead for the inputs!!

I use a set of Primos two-legged shooting sticks. I really like them, but they aren't tough enough to be a true walking stick. I like walking sticks, but I've used them my entire life in some shape or form. What is affordable? I consider boots to be the most important piece of clothing I own and willingly pay $250 for work boots or hunting boots. I happen to like my Cabelas Alaskan Hunters very much.

All three of those tags are quite difficult to access. 333 is probably the easiest of the bunch, but when my parents have had that tag (each has had it once), they've budgeted an entire day to get in there. I'm not aware of any trails that will get you into that area within only 4 miles and any route in there requires a fairly major river crossing. It's not easy by any stretch. 332 is harder and 331 still harder yet. Obviously they can be done, but they require significant time and quality machines. A hike into these areas with the expectation of packing out a moose is not realistic.

I would never "settle for affordable" boots, a poor choice in fit or quality can make for a miserable hunt or end it entirely. Find a quality pair that fits properly and get some miles on them to be sure your feet are happy about the choice.

Hiking in 4 miles for moose is a poor choice, they are too large and heavy to effectively pack that distance, it would take 3-4 days at best for 2 men to pack a moose that far. Many will not pack a moose more than a 1/2 or even 1/4 mile, some, like myself will happily pack a moose a mile or a bit more over "good" terrain, my personal limit is 1.5 miles if solo, well to be honest I don't hunt with anyone who will pack a moose that far. Keep in mind a mature moose is going to demand 8-9 trips at 100-150lbs EACH.

After looking at all three of those hunt areas it is evident you will need a quality machine and significant travel time to access, as Brian mentioned. I have been to all of those areas in the past on ATV and each is demanding in it's own way. DM333 is much more than 4 miles and water levels in the Gulkana determine whether a crossing is possible or not.

Good luck your applications and your hunt, wherever that may be.

I combine walking sticks & shooting sticks by looping the wrist loops on the walking stic,ks over the other stick, then crossing them. This will fasten them together for use as shooting sticks. Walking sticks can be invaluable, particularly when packing a heavy load.

Pm 323 hehehe
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Okay so pretty much DM331 and DM332 are out now. Can you do a float trip down the Gulkana out of Paxon lake? I'm assuming if so it would be a crowded float. And as for boots and walking sticks I wasn't planning on buying the cheapest sat I just wanted the most bang for my buck I guess. Thanks for the help so far!

Yes, you can float the Gulkana out of Paxson lake. I have done it once in early Aug., it was a fly fishing trip, the fishing and scenery are spectacular, the water is class II-III and a steep narrow canyon that requires portage by some, but can be navigated by those with experience. BTW I was the passenger, not the pilot of the raft.

I would expect that to be a busy piece of water into the hunting season and camping spots are limited, our float was spent over 4 days from paxson lake to Sourdough camp, a leisurely pace for that distance.

I would strongly recommend walking sticks. I went on a sheep hunt last year and they were an invaluable tool. When carrying a pack and climbimg a hill, a large amount of the weight is dispersed off of your back and onto your shoulders which is refreshing when you have been hiking a few miles. They also provide excellent stability and additional traction when getting into those uncomfortable situations. Mine cost about $70 at REI and are adjustable. As far as boots go, I am partial to the Merrell "Outbounds". They are a lighter, mid height boot that offers gore-tex, water proof, breathability,firm sole and excellent traction. The only thing I do not like about them is they smell weird. Every pair I looked at/smelled, had an odd rubbery stinch. They cost $190 at Sportsmans and are a great asset when hitting the trails. There is little to no break in time needed and they are a great investment.

Good luck on your adventures.

Thanks again for the info! I looked at the boots and they are definitely highley rated. Along with the trekk poles. Next question is shooting sticks vs. the attached bipods. Any one prefer one for any reason? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Lol I sit here with a big smile on my face lol ok im laughing you need to get a wheeler to get into 333 and 332 as far 331 screw that the regs even say access is difficult better off doing 334. if you think you are going to come off the Richardson cross the gulkana walk through that swamp for moose man oh man good luck. 331 that's clear out by the black river? **** good luck walking in there. 332 what was your plan drop in off the Denali then cross the mcclaren? Again buy a 4 wheeler ask Brian to take you hunting cause you will end up a statistic.

What unit you in?

I had no intention of "coming off the Richardson crossing the gulkana walking through that swamp". I don't know if you need to reread my post but my intentions are finding out about access information so I don't become a statistic. Thanks for the info given though.

I am in unit 14 but I am looking to put in for the rc566 permit also so I was checking on moose draws in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    . . . What is affordable? I consider boots to be the most important piece of clothing I own and willingly pay $250 for work boots or hunting boots. I happen to like my Cabelas Alaskan Hunters very much.
    I took a chance and bought a pair of Cabela's Alaska Hunters by Miendl on eBay. I think they were lightly used returns, but I got them for close to half price. That is one way to save money, but again, I took a chance on fit that worked perfectly for me.

Remember, if you are carrying a heavy back pack in Alaska's uneven terrain, you need plenty of support as well as water resistance and insulation. This is not bird shooting in the Midwest with a light game bag and a few shotgun shells.

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    I had no intention of "coming off the Richardson crossing the gulkana walking through that swamp". I don't know if you need to reread my post but my intentions are finding out about access information so I don't become a statistic. Thanks for the info given though.
    Well best of luck to you... It seems you have it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    I know being on a budget and hunting in Alaska should never be mentioned in the same sentence. But does anyone know of any affordable hiking/hunting boots? Thanks ahead for the inputs!!
    IT don't have to cost money, the money I ever spend on hunting is 5-6 boxes of ammo a year for practice (were talking big game, here) gas, soon to be license, and drawing tags, I don't have a "pack" I just carry the most out on my shoulders till we get to where we can get a wheeler to them, or we drive up to it with the wheeler, usually we only have to pack it 200 or 300 yards. I don't buy "hunting boots" I wear my boots year round, 14 hours a day 6 days a week (on sundays when we go to church I wear my sneakers) I typically have to buy a new pair every year, and I time it so that is right before hunting season. I buy the "Iron Ridge" boots from cabbalas, They are 100 bucks and are hands down better boots than any of the other people boots who spend a lot of money on them, not saying 100 bucks isn't a lot of money, but thats about as cheap as you'll get. so far I have never had to "break them in" and I've always worn boots so I don't get blisters. they are OK in the winter, if you wear thick wool socks, by the end of the day your feet might be a little cold, but misery is part of workin, so they say. Dang god boots. the only down fall is you want to buy a new pair of laces as the ones that come on them are junk, I broke mine this year the first day, same with leather laces.

The biggest problem with them is they are insulated some, so when your working from 12 -14 hours a day your feet sweat like crazy, in turn giving you trench foot. this summer I lost all the skin off the bottom of my toes and front of my foot, I work sneakers for a week or to and it healed up, the trick to them healing is washing your feet in tea the oil and warm water, as that kills the fungus, sometimes even on the first wash, and it will heal up alright after that. anyway, enough rambling.

Hunting is affordable, just stick close to home, for you being in anchorage, you might have to travel a ways, but it shouldn't be hard. gon't gotta spend your life savings on a fly out moose hunt.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.