Thread: Scoter Mount

Default Scoter Mount

I flew home just after shooting a couple of scoters back in September and I took the ducks with me. Well, the taxidermist called me yesterday and said the ducks are done. He was so excited to do a new kind of duck that he started immediately - finished in less than two months. Of course not many surf scoters make their way through East Tennessee. Since it was a September bird, it's missing a few feathers. I think it looks ok though.

duck 001.jpgduck 004.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Looks pretty good at initial glimpse. Very obvious its a fake bill and the feet should be a lot more reddish orange, but like you said, not many in Tennessee. Congrats.

I knew something was fishy about it, and now that you mention the feet... they should definitely be a pinkish orange instead of black. I wonder if that's something he could still paint or if it's a done deal.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I think the feet would be something he could still work on I should be getting a duck back this week as well.

Hey,

Good deal on the mount. Looks good.

Nothing wrong with that skunkhead. Anything to extend the season.

Well, the major work is done, there are taxidermists here with an airbrush that can fix the feet and perhaps sharpen the edges of the color schemes on the bill. Perhaps find some reference material to share with the taxidermist. One thing I know, a taxidermist can never have too much reference info. Which includes close ups of the bill at different angles and the feet. It's the only parts they don't have in fresh in hand that won't fade when getting a bird,
    Last edited by Waldo2382; 12-14-2011 at 23:23. Reason: additional info