Thread: Fairbanks traditional clubs

Default Fairbanks traditional clubs

Cany anyone help me out finding a traditional archery club in Fairbanks? My 11 year old daughter loves to shoot and compete.

As far as a specific traditional club, I am not sure if one exists. There is the fairbanks northstar archery association or golden north archery or something of that nature and it is a mix of compound shooters and traditional guys. I myself never seemed to find the time to go to the shoots but they would go to a middle school and shoot in the gym every week during the winter. I know of several guys that shoot traditional only and there is a guy that is on this forum a lot(TRADBOW) and he is probably more in tune with various clubs around FBKS... Also, that guy that runs the pro shop at sportsmans recently picked up shooting traditional and might know about some.. If you are going to hang around FBKS, I would not mind looking into starting one. I am in the process between deployments, getting my kids into shooting as well.. Anywhoo, I hope you find something for your daughter..

He is right, right now there isn't a trad only group. Golden north shoots a Ryan middle school wed and Fridays in the little gym . I don't know much about the new bow shop off vanhorn just stopped in for the first time last week.

We tried having a northern chapter of traditional archers of Alaska, a group that's based in anchorage, years ago. We realized it was the same group over and over so we nixed it, same 5 or so guys lol. Was fun we would do how too classes and such. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot again. Though I think joining gnaa is probably a better idea to start. I am inactive in that group the last few years. I need to get my butt back in the group again.

Forest is who he's referring too at sportsmen. The other person to talk too is rob hams. He's also at sportsmen.
    Most of the old-timers in the group shoot trad off and on.

Del demeritt used to teach joad. Which is Olympic style for kids. He moved to wasnilla and I don't know if anyone has taken his place. Golden north guys would know as they use the range at Ryan also.

Thanks for the help. Is there a contact for GNAA or is it ok to just show up at the school.

sorry for the slow reply. If you havent already, yes just show up. I think they start shooting again at ryan this week. I need to get back in there. Trapping and getting back into triathlon training takes up most of my time. Gotta start slowing down somewhere and start zinging arrows with the gang again.

If you see some rolly polly guy shooting a longbow at a blank target, thats me working on form. Its pretty rare I shoot at paper anymore so I'm easy to spot. See ya there!

If you need a contact, holler and I can get you one.

akdan76@Yahoo.com

Thanks for the help TradBow. Looks like we are late for this week, hopefully next Wed. do you know what time they start?

if you show up around 7:30 they'll be there....they are there till 9.

Dan is right usually wed we shoot traditional and at animal burlap targets at varius ranges . but we usually start closer to 7 if we can so we can head home a bit earlier .

Fridays are more compound shooters but still find 3 or 4 of us traditional guys .. In the spring we will start shooting at our outdoor range wich is alot of fun .