Thread: Warn Winch Not Retracting

Default Warn Winch Not Retracting

I've got a warn winch that will let the rope all of the way out to the end of the spool but will not retract. Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Make sure you turn the free wheel lever all the way to the opposite side, it should lock in place. wiggle the freewheel lever while trying to pull the line in. good luck.

mine locks into the free spool but not into the...uhh, what er its called thats not free spool....when I go over a bunch of rough terrain when plowing sometimes it jingles loose and I simply turn it to free spool and back and it works like a charm
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

If you guys have the original reciept then send it in to six states and have them repaired. Lifetime warrenty exept for electric motor. I sent ine in last year and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    If you guys have the original reciept then send it in to six states and have them repaired. Lifetime warrenty exept for electric motor. I sent ine in last year and it works great.
    Ours came on the 4 wheeler when grandpa bought it in 2005 when he lived up here.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    Make sure you turn the free wheel lever all the way to the opposite side, it should lock in place. wiggle the freewheel lever while trying to pull the line in. good luck.
    Tried this method with no luck. I still get a "tick" when activating the switch meaning the silenoid is still working properly. I switched the yellow and blue motor wires on the winch motor and was able to retract the rope but was not able to let any rope out which leads me to believe the switch has gone bad. I pulled the wiring schematic from warn and ensured all wires were hooked up correctly and properly. I guess I will spend the $50 for a new mini rocker style switch.

Instead of buy a new control, if you want to see if your problem is the control or winch; look at the solenoids and find the coil terminals, short the side that goes to the plug to ground. The solenoid will close, and the motor will move in or out depending on with solenoid you selected. Another thing having a power problem could cause your symptoms.