Thread: Barnes original X bullet 165gr .308

Default Barnes original X bullet 165gr .308

I just aquired 300 original Barnes .308 cal X bullet, 165gr copper hollow point without coating. Does anyone have load data for this bullet in 30 06 or 300WSM? I have the newest Barnes manual but this older bullet is not included. I have H4350, R17, and R19 powders on hand but can get different powder if needed. Thanks for help.

The "Loadbook USA" manuals have old data and are cheap. The WSM was not around then I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    I just aquired 300 original Barnes .308 cal X bullet, 165gr copper hollow point without coating. Does anyone have load data for this bullet in 30 06 or 300WSM? I have the newest Barnes manual but this older bullet is not included. I have H4350, R17, and R19 powders on hand but can get different powder if needed. Thanks for help.
    I have found many recipes in the #3 manual to be WAY too hot in my guns. You'll note that from Manual #3 to Manual #4 they reduced the recommended loads for the TSX, which, in theory, should have allowed an increase. That should give reason to view the #3 Manual data with suspicion.

Barnes Manual #3 lists the following:
    30-06, 165 grain X Bullets (uncoated)
    H4350, 53.0 to 57.0 grains, 2721 to 2926 fps
    RL 19, 56.0 to 60.0 grains, 2781 to 2980 fps
    No load for RL 17

Barnes Manual #3 lists the following:
    300 WSM, 165 grain X Bullet (uncoated)
    RL 19, 64.5 to 69.5, 2895 to 3119 fps
    No loads for the other two powders

The newer Manual #4 lists the following:
    30-06, 165 grain TSX Bullets
    H4350, 52.0 to 55.5 grains, 2651 to 2825 fps
    RL 19, 55.5 to 60.0 grains, 2644 to 2859 fps
    No load for RL 17

The new #4 Manual lists loads for the .300WSM, but not for any of three powders you have.

If it were me, I would start a grain below the loads listed in #4, and work up carefully. Or, call Barnes and ask.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I have the Barnes Manual #1, listed for 165 grain, .308 caliber/cartridge .30-06'

IMR 4831 54.0 charge/grains, Vel. 2566 to 59.0 charge/grains (max), Vel 2887

H4831 58.0 chg/grn, Vel 2617 to 62.0 chg/grn/max, Vel 2862

IMR 4895 45.0 chg/grn, Vel 2539 to 47.5 chg/grn/max, Vel 2732

RL 19 54.0 chg/grn, Vel 2581 to 59.5 chg/grn/max, Vel 2883

WIN 760 52.0 chg/grn, Vel 2608 to 56.0 chg/grn/max, Vel 2858

H 414 53.0 chg/grn, Vel 2696 to 57.0 chg/grn/max, Vel 2931

IMR 4064 47.0 chg/grn, Vel 2620 to 50.0 chg/grn/max, Vel 2894

AA2015 43.0 chg/grn, Vel 2664 to 45.5 chg/grn/max, Vel 2812

Use of this data is at your own risk. Use with caution and follow proper reloading procedures per accepted reloading manuals or contact Barnes directly for any questions.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

...and just to complete the set, here's data from Barnes Reloading Manual #2:

165 grn XFB 30-06 Springfield
    H4350 53.0 2721fps 57.0 2926fps
    RL-19 56.0 2781fps 60.0 2980fps

I hope you have better luck with your '06 and the original X bullet than I did. I could never get either the 165 or 180 to group well in any '06 I own...and I tried. In my experience that original X bullet was different than the newer TSX in several ways. First, the TSX seems to work well in any cartridge/caliber/rifle combination that I have tried. The original X was different...either my rifle liked them or not, and if it didn't like them there was no changing that situation no matter how hard I tried...fortunately my 375H&H loved them. Second, the bore fouling is way more extensive with the original X than the TSX...the concentric rings on the TSX really do help to significantly reduce fouling. You'll want to make sure your cleaning bench has solvents to remove the copper (I like Butch's Bore-Shine). Anyway...you probably already knew all of this, but just in case I added it.

Good luck sir.

Thanks for all the data and information, I really appreciate it. The bullets came from a buddy who found 6 unopened boxes in his garage work bench, apparently fell out of the drawer and into a void and have sat there for 20 plus years! The price was right, (free since he doesn't reload) so I figured I would give them a try. The idea of fouling did concern me somewhat though as I have read that fouling was one of the biggest problems with the original X bullets. I guess I will give them a whirl and if accuracy or fouling is a problem, they'll probably fall into the abiss behind my reloading bench to be rediscovered a few decades from now!

I,ve been shooting the Barnes X's for 15 years. I think the fouling issue was/is largely exaggerated. Certainly there will be variability and exceptions with different barrels. If it turns out that you don't care for them, you can always sell them, as there is still plenty of demand for them.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Good to know. I reckon the only way to find out is to load some up for both my 06's and see how they shoot. If either doesn't like them, I can try them in my son's 300 WSM. At least it will give me another eloading project for this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I,ve been shooting the Barnes X's for 15 years. I think the fouling issue was/is largely exaggerated. Certainly there will be variability and exceptions with different barrels. If it turns out that you don't care for them, you can always sell them, as there is still plenty of demand for them.
    Can't speak for others, but I'm not exaggerating.

barnes #3 lists H4350 for 300 wsm using 165 gr. uncoated x bullet: starting load 61.5 gr. (2870 fps) maximum load 66.5 gr.(3103 fps)

Quote Originally Posted by magnus maximus View Post
    barnes #3 lists H4350 for 300 wsm using 165 gr. uncoated x bullet: starting load 61.5 gr. (2870 fps) maximum load 66.5 gr.(3103 fps)
    So it does. I must have got blurry eyed and missed it on the first pass. But like I said before; based on my experience with the #3 manual, I wouldn't trust it as far as I could spit. I like Barnes bullets, but I sure don't know how they came up with some of the data in that particular book. Starting loads for some recipes in the #3 book resulted in excessive pressures and locked up bolts for me. I pretty much only use that book for entertainment purposes anymore. I don't load from it.

ofthetaiga - YES ! I don't know how in the heck Barnes kept from getting sued with that manual - I, one day, noted some 93 serious misprints and called Barnes - Their reply ? "we've reprinted that manual as there were some mistakes" - Barnes makes good bullets for sure, but between their flippant attitude in regard to that VERY SERIOUS screw-up with THEIR OWN manual and their un-caring attitude to my face, when I stopped in while passing by their Spanish Forks center to show them a nicely mushroomed bullet I recovered from an elk, I seldom consider Barnes - IMHO there are enough companies making things these days to patronize those that show appreciation for customer participation (like Nosler does for instance) and YES ! I "have" been called stubborn by "some" ...

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    ofthetaiga - YES ! I don't know how in the heck Barnes kept from getting sued with that manual - I, one day, noted some 93 serious misprints and called Barnes - Their reply ? "we've reprinted that manual as there were some mistakes" - Barnes makes good bullets for sure, but between their flippant attitude in regard to that VERY SERIOUS screw-up with THEIR OWN manual and their un-caring attitude to my face, when I stopped in while passing by their Spanish Forks center to show them a nicely mushroomed bullet I recovered from an elk, I seldom consider Barnes - IMHO there are enough companies making things these days to patronize those that show appreciation for customer participation (like Nosler does for instance) and YES ! I "have" been called stubborn by "some" ...
    post number 3!....50 million more and I'll have as many as lujon! (is there a prize or award for most post in aod forums?)...take any and all reloading info with a grain of salt, internet or published I've seen or suspected data in multitudes of manuals that did'nt pass the smell test...I haven't reloaded in many years...when I did any load data was double,trippled checked by cross referencing and always I follow the data manufactures recipe...If a load called for win lr primers, only use win. lr primers...if a load calls for rem brass, only use rem brass!...a little pressure stacking here and a little there then that "safe data" is hot... so on a related note for 165 gr. .308 barnes x bullet...lee modern reloading 2nd edition lists 300 wsm- reloader 19- starting grs. 48.7 (2327 fps) max 69.5c grs. (3100 fps).... could that be a unsafe load... in my opinion it's a extremely reduced load (20.8 gr. between starting and max!) if a safe load, could be a viable starting load for a kid or women...