Thread: Sustainable chicken flock on the coast questions

Default Sustainable chicken flock on the coast questions

Hello all,
    We have made the move off grid along the coast in Cook Inlet and were wondering how to feed the flock without buying feed in the winter. How are chickens with kelp or other sea veggies? Is anyone else doing this to keep costs down? Any info and advice is welcome as we are shifting gears financially and this would really help out.

Mountaintrekker

Just remember all things in moderation. Kelp is high in salt, to much salt is bad. We feed ours spent grains from a brewery as well as kitchen scraps and freezer burnt fish and game meats.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Is there much nutritional value in spent grains from the brewing process?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Is there much nutritional value in spent grains from the brewing process?
    There's plenty of protein left in the spent grain. Animals like pigs and chickens love it. My birds feast after a home brew session!

Not sure about converting to feeding your birds kelp for a primary food source though, Mountain. I think it is used mainly for adding minerals to their diet?

The reason that I was asking is that a week or two ago there was a brewery in Wasilla that had a ad on Craigslist that they had about 5000 lbs. a week to get rid of. They also had used honey in the brewing process.That would be a lot of chicken feed if you took it all.

BB,

Most honey in brewing is used in the boil, so it wouldn't be present in the spent grains (but what do I know, they could add it to the mash?). Anyway, getting some of that Wasilla brewery's spent grain would be great if a backyard chicken person wouldn't have to take it all! I usually throw the birds a pound or two for several days after brewing and that's all I can use for three animals.

Depending on who you listen to spent grains have anywhere from 10-18% protein. I beleive it's at the lower end that's why they need something like meat or fish to up the protein content.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    Depending on who you listen to spent grains have anywhere from 10-18% protein. I beleive it's at the lower end that's why they need something like meat or fish to up the protein content.
    Good point, spent grain contains probably less than 11% protein as two row barley has this content as the minimum before brewing with it. I should have said that I only use spent grain as a supplement, the birds have regular "layer" store feed at all times as well.

I do like your idea about supplementing with fish! I grill salmon carcasses after filleting them and throw them to the chickens. They enjoy the meat on the bones.

They really enjoy the guts! So you can start saving those and stop throwing anything away.

Good to know about the fish guts, makes sense.

Thanks

yeah, that is a good idea about the guts. Do you cook them first? If so, how?

No need to cook, just throw them out and the chickens will take care of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    No need to cook, just throw them out and the chickens will take care of the rest.
    Thanks Bird Brain!! I'll try it out.