Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 330 Conibear trap.....question.

Default 330 Conibear trap.....question.

Can a 330 be set by hand (by a geriatric old weakling) or do I need a tool........?

A setting tool is highly recomended! You can also use a piece of string, and run it through the eyes of the spring in a way that when you pull straight up, it acts as a two part pulley. ?? It really is simpler than I am trying to explain!

A tool makes it a lot easier but if you don't have one a small (2") beaver chewed stump you can put the spring eye on and push down works well. I can still set a 330 but it can be a tougher than it used to be without setters. I prefer the aluminum setters over the steel. I am 65 years old. ~Mist~

I can set them by hand, by standing in the box and lifting the bottom spring up and then setting the safety. I really prefer to set them at home and just keep the safetys on. Much easier when it is cold outside; as I don't like to wear gloves when setting them. Also it is a good idea to keep a piece of 1/4 rope handy incase you ever got it on your arm. You can do it with one hand that way. I really hope to never find out.

Use a 1/4" rope and thread it through the eyes on the springs, step on the jaws, pull up on the rope and set the safety. I'll bet there is probably a you-tube video showing this technique. Works best for me...rope is light and easy to keep out of the way.

Ive set them by hand (& foot) before with out setters. Simply standing on the jaws with one foot and then stand on the top of the spring outside the jaws. Once you get the doing down I slide the other foot over the spring getting my original foot out of the way allowing the safety to be set. Quite simple bit a little awkward. Works well w/o setters....

Get the spring* down, not the doing... Auto correct on phones suck

I used to set them by hand. Now its rope. Also, do it at home. Set the catches and then go out. All already posted, just seconding the advice.

Check u tube. videos are there

Set by hand yes, but the new stuff they have to set them are cheap.

AGL4now, I have doen it by hand but prefer the rope - I used to set them on the bank with good footing and wire the jaws open until I had it set in place.
    I got a 220 on a gloved hand once while making a dryland coon set - for the first 30 seconds it was funny - then it started to hurt like heck - thankfully I had a partner with me to remove it as I could not due to the angle it had me by. So, lesson was learned and I thought wow if I ever get stuck in a 330 I could loose a hand before I could get to help. So, I started packing a small pair of bolt cutters that if I had to I could cut the trap off...
    Just food for thought...
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

put the bottom spring (or rather the bottom lever of the spring) and push down like you would when setting a coil spring, then set the safety, same with the other side. or you can put your foot through the jaws and pull up till they are compressed. for 120's and 160's you can crunch them pretty easy with just your hand.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

AGL,
    I just went and bought the aluminum setters and they are by far the easiest way! For $20.00 i don't have to worry about the #120 clamping down on my knuckle again!!!! It wasn't too bad but it did hurt...lol.... Alaska range trapping supplies in the valley has them in stock..

scissor type setters are the way to go. i have set them by hand and its hard and dangerous and i have used many tools. i made a j hook that worked by stepping on the jaws, running the hook through the top springeye and hooking the bottom then pull. it had many other uses on my waterline and had to make a second when it went for a swim in the river. i currently use the red two piece tee handle that works in a similar method. these tools (atleast the ones i have) are limited to just compressing the springs. i caught myself twice while setting. one resulted in a 1/2 mile hake back to the truck with it stuck on my boot and the other a broken thumb. Honestly its much safer with the scissor types.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I set hundreds of 330`s and 220`s with the rope method over MANY years of trapping and 2 years ago I gave in and decided to try the scissor type setting tool. I would NOT use the rope method again unless the scissor tool broke. Set your traps before you go out in the field and you are always ready to go. Good luck on your line!!!!!

Even if you never want to use the rope, BRING it and have it on you. Take it from someone who has been caught. Setting by hand, or setting with the setters requires the use of two hands. The rope, only needs one...and sometimes thats all you have available.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

keep the rope around your neck/shoulders so if you snap yourself you don't have to haul the trap to the snow machine or what ever
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Sometimes reaching the anchor wire/cable...isn't possible. FFG hit it on the head: it does you no good back at your machine.

I do like others: preset before I go using my metal setters. Rope is always along.

One other thing: the best piece of equipment will be a set of jaw safeties for your 330. I only take them off, right before the side safeties. Saved me a bunch of times. You'd be surprised how bad those jaws will hurt even if the side safeties stop the jaws from closing all the way, just the whack is enough to buckle your knees.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I will also recommend the rope trick. I once had to drive 20 miles back to town with a 330 stuck on my left arm. It was pretty embarrassing.

I thought I had a great idea but it don't work quite as good as I thought. I grabbed one of my quick grip clamps and put it on a 330. It did compress it but it was harder than I thought. back to the drawing board.
    www.kodiakislandadventures.com
    37'x14' Allen Marine Catamaran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast