Thread: Moose Numbers

Default Moose Numbers

I am considering a moose hunt in the next 2 years...probably 2013.

I would like some input as to moose numbers & trends in Alaska. I know that some years ago..probably 10..that wolves were having an impact in many areas. This has resulted in wolf control...has this been effective? Are moose numbers increasing? What about areas for trophy moose?..I have seen some pictures of some really good moose taken on the Alaska Peninsula..but the photos are dated.

Any input would be appreciated...I plan on going on a guided hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by nyala hunter View Post
    I am considering a moose hunt in the next 2 years...probably 2013.

I would like some input as to moose numbers & trends in Alaska. I know that some years ago..probably 10..that wolves were having an impact in many areas. This has resulted in wolf control...has this been effective? Are moose numbers increasing? What about areas for trophy moose?..I have seen some pictures of some really good moose taken on the Alaska Peninsula..but the photos are dated.

Any input would be appreciated...I plan on going on a guided hunt.
    Nyala,

Qualifying a question like this is like the old saying about China: "Whatever you say about it is true somewhere." The state of Alaska is huge, with many varying ecosystems and regionalized game populations. It's helpful to ask such questions about a particular location.

That said, our recent predator control efforts in GMUs 16 and 19 and adjacent areas appear to have resulted in an increase in moose populations. Other areas of the state show healthy numbers as well.

I know several guides who are successful on moose; you might start with Mike "Buck" Bowden of Hidden Alaska Guides and Outfitters. He's a Master Guide who runs successful drop and float hunts for moose in his areas. He is presently visiting friends in New Zealand, but he may be available online.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

NH,

The Alaska Peninsula was a great moose and caribou area at one time but I think its difficult there now.......

Most any info today will have little meaning two years from now.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Most any info today will have little meaning two years from now.
    It changes that fast?

It changes that fast?
    It's entirely reasonable to plan your moose hunt a couple of years out. Things do change in some areas from time to time, however it's unlikely that anything would happen that would bust your hunt. Especially if you're with a reputable company.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

What about the Seward Peninsula? That was a good area at one time...has it fallen off as well?

What about the Seward Peninsula? That was a good area at one time...has it fallen off as well?
    I would contact the Area Biologist in REGION FIVE for detailed information about population trends, bull/cow ratios, calf survival, hunting pressure, access, etc. in that area. We have some hunt planning tools AT THIS LINK that you might also look at.

Not to sell you something, but we also offer a hunt consultation service that provides many of the details you seek. You many not need that if you are fairly adept at finding this information yourself, but it's your call.

Hope it helps!

-Mike