Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lift for a Hudson Bay

Default Lift for a Hudson Bay

Looked hard at a surface drive but decided I can't justify the expense. I love the 20 HP Honda 4 Stroke and would like to buy a lift for it. Noticed there are some commercial ones that appear to be designed to lift an auxillary motor in and out of the water. There are also some custom designs that use a long handle to trim on the go.

Where should I start looking?

I'll ask a friend that uses one on his HB......I'm not sure if anyone in Fairbanks still makes em.

Have you got any ice for trout fishing yet?

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    I'll ask a friend that uses one on his HB......I'm not sure if anyone in Fairbanks still makes em.

Have you got any ice for trout fishing yet?
    Yup.... will be going out at Christmas to do some fishing. Gotta love the Yukon.

Check out Familyman's stationary lift, and just copy that for a quick and versatile stationary lift. He leaves his lifted to the max and pushes a very heavy load. I watched him push well over 1,400 lbs up some faster sections of river with plenty of speed and power. He's able to take his lift off the canoe to keep it from weathering in the snowbank. He treated his motor like a mud motor in the swampy sections.

Here is the link:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t-Albany-canoe

Default lift

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Where should I start looking?
    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Check out Familyman's stationary lift, He treated his motor like a mud motor in the swampy sections.
    If you're a boat maker person, just make it from the link Mainer sent you. If you're more an operator than builder, then measure and picture your transom and send it to Mainer and I'll bet he'll provide the inner/outer boards that comprise the Mainer-lift, along with some instructions on how to remove part of the one Scott transom board and glass in in its absence, along with drill only four new holes clear thru your transom to support the Mainer lift.

That isn't his biz, but for a fellow forum member I'd be pretty sure he'd do it for a modest price.

The end product lift really does work well; I wouldn't trade it for anything.

So far as me treating my 4 stroke OB as a mud motor, its true. I was spewing out mud and seaweed 10 feet back while semi-grounded yet semi-going, and still my motor's peeing was clear. It worked superbly.

Hey North61 ...

IMHO and experience, the lift FamilyMan/mainer are using and advocating, while a good, old-school answer to the need for a lift, is less effective than an easily adjusted lift such as the Fairbanks/JKlingel lift. For ten years I used a Klingel-made lift on my 19' Grumman exploring skinny rivers, etc. In use, the lift was raised and lowered constantly, adjusting for debris, the shallow bottom and logs, rocks mud, etc. But the motor operated most efficiently - both speed and fuel usage - all the way down ... below the hull's bottom. Often had to raise the motor to get through grass or mud, but then lowered the lift once in deeper water. Once in the skinny, I'd run with the lift half-raised and then raise further as needed. In other words, being able to adjust the prop height easily without pause is an advantage.

FamilyMan/mainer prefer a more stationary system that requires stopping ... and then repositioning motor/lift and rebolting. Their preferred system is lighter and simpler. But, the tendency is to select a certain height and leave it there, rather than land and reconfigure the lift. I believe FamilyMan has posted that he has select the 6" raise position and has left it there, with much improved shallow water performance and lower speed. (I'm sure he'll correct me if need be.)

I believe an easily adjusted lift to be more operationally efficient.

Lots to think about. Not much of a welder so I'd need to find someone to make a JKlingel clone.... If someone still does this in Fairbanks I'd be interested.

The Familyman lift looks pretty elegant. MY HB has a motor well in the back that would interfere with it's use and I wouldn't want to remove it especially as it adds some strength and safety to the system.

Still thinkin.

Default the "mainer-lift"

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    The Familyman lift looks pretty elegant. MY HB has a motor well in the back that would interfere with it's use and I wouldn't want to remove it especially as it adds some strength and safety to the system.

Still thinkin.
    I'd prefer that it be called "the mainer lift". It is mainer_in_ak's design, and plus he did the lions share of the work while I fetched his cold drinks and cheered him on.

Can you take a picture of the motor well in your Scott HB? I was not aware that it was much different than my Scott Albany's, and I'd like to see how. Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by a motor well?

Because installing the laminate board on both the inside and outside of the transom would have made the end result transom too wide to clamp my motor on, we did have to remove a very small piece of original Scott transom board; it was only a few inches tall, and went from gunnel to gunnel at the top of the inside of the transom. But the two boards we added MORE than made up for the small structure we removed, I figure. Is this little board what you mean?

The end result on my boat is zero transom vibration, even at full lift it is as solid as the day is long (in June ). No flexing either.

Thanks in advance.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1235279658

Some pics on that thread ore older threads showing lifts on Scott HB my lift was not stout enough for trailering a 20 HP 4 stroke
    was fine for my 8 hP 2 stroke.
    A lot of people dont like the setback I did easier to get cleaner water, no cavitation with motor up higher. I could run bottom of skag
    at bottom of boat. The consideration of the HB splash well, made for a different lift design.
    We had a lot of pics of lifts on the original Scott Hudson Bay canoe thread.

Default Here is the board I'm talking about:

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    we did have to remove a very small piece of original Scott transom board

Of course we (meaning Mainer) did fix it up neatly with a nice fiberglass finish next:

Hudson Bay splash tray ...

Yes..Rick that splash tray or drainage well is the same structure that is on my HB. Water splashes in and then drains out in rough water when on semi-step.

I could live with a lift that would not support trailering. I don't mind removing the motor for travel anyway. As long as it was stout enough for actual use. My Honda is 130 pounds or so. Did you make that lift? It doesn't happen to be gathering dust in your garage does it(he says hopefully)?

An interesting older thread on lifts vs raised transom

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...raised-transom

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1235279658

Some pics on that thread ore older threads showing lifts on Scott HB my lift was not stout enough for trailering a 20 HP 4 stroke
    was fine for my 8 hP 2 stroke.
    A lot of people dont like the setback I did easier to get cleaner water, no cavitation with motor up higher. I could run bottom of skag
    at bottom of boat. The consideration of the HB splash well, made for a different lift design.
    We had a lot of pics of lifts on the original Scott Hudson Bay canoe thread.

This thread seems to have a bit on lifts

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=hudson+bay

Klingel or Weaver still in the lift business?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=#post430822

Some lift ideas Pretty easy to modify a ouboard adjustable mount to a lift.

I belive a WEVER lift type can be made for the larger canoes a good welder can do it with time on his hand an some metal
    but there has to be love of canoes not for the money as the market is very small, that is why wever/Kingle stoped making them
    "" NO MARKET "" familyman has a lift for them it is not the best but it works SID

I don't know if this will work, but my idea that is still floating in my head it to make a lift similar to the one Mainer makes only mount it on rods or rails on the sides and use a scissors jack to raise and lower the board the motor is mounted on. That would give you infinite adjustment up an down by just turning the crank for say 8" or so...mabe up to a foot and it would not be hanging out the back. Maybe this makes sense.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

your idea is very close to Familyman an Mariner's move the transom up an down slow there's you stop an move it up an down by hand an probley take the eng off to do it an stand on land also,
    your idea you turn a crank that idea is a an little better than there's but why not just modafie the WEVER type it is the best I have ever used [ 25 + years ]
    as you go up an down a river / stream every thing changes very fast, an you can't take your eye's off the water

You are probably right...I haven't been on those waters in 20 years. I can see the need for a lift that will work quickly if need be. My thought was to have a "fine" adjustment for those areas where you are just need an inch or so of adjustment at a time, maybe to compensate for fuel burn or something else changing the trim of the boat. Just a thought.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I'm not sure what the big issue is with a stationary lift, as I haven't experienced any functional issues with the lift. I have however, only seen some theoretical concerns based on speculation which is fine. When the going gets shallow, it stays shallow and in my experience on some of the shallow rivers and creeks I've run, I only need to keep my prop at one height and never have to take time to adjust. I've done in excess of 100 mile runs with my prop sitting at one specific height according to the load. I don't know what the big issue is when I finally hit (say for instance) the Yukon River when coming off a smaller river, camping out for the night, and getting my prop deeper for the Yukon. When the water is high on the Yukon, I do need some extra power and no longer need my prop raised for shallow water.

Loosening four wingnuts and carriage bolts has never been some sort of over-burdening issue. If I've come across log jams, beaver dams, impassable rock ledges, or sweepers, I raise my motor out of the water and lock it into place....simple as that. Every outboard motor has the ability to lock it out of the water. Pull the boat over or around the obstacle or cut the obstacle and continue on traveling the river. Simple, and has worked just fine for me. I never had any issues going to lot's of remote places with a stationary lift.

After coming off the shallow river, Familyman only had a few lakes to go over, so he decided to not lower his motor and we made it just fine. Heavily loaded, he probably lost 3 mph and made the difference of 15-20 minutes. He couldn't have gone fast anyways due to the heavy waves, and neither could I. The lift is rigid, lightweight, simple and right over the existing transom. The splash tray on a Scott isn't needed in my opinion, I've made due without it, and others have too. Many, many freighter canoes manufactured by Norwest, Old Town, Faber, Teslin and Chestnut, over the years......didn't have a splash tray. Steve's 120 lb. motor doesn't need to be removed when trailering unless he wants to, and the lift handles that amount of weight no problem.

North61 can run whatever he'd like, but I remember Familyman (as well as others) trying on numerous occasions to obtain a Weaver style lift. He never could get one so good luck paying a welder a significant amount of money to build one. If you have a friend that welds for free or you have a welder yourself......more power to yah.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast