Thread: Nonresident kuiu black bear restrictions

Default Nonresident kuiu black bear restrictions

Are there any restrictions on nonresidents hunting black bears on kuiu island besides the nonresident quota? How often is the quota reached and what date has it been reached on?

Correction, fall NR aare now on a draw so the quota is gone? Anything else?

Are the new POW reg's going to help the hunting or just maintain it at its current level? I would love for it to go back to how it was 15 years ago.

Don,

Well if normalacy holds true you should be able to hunt KUIU self guided if you draw a tag and don't want to get a guided entitlement tag.

As for POW, I feel the new regs will help the bear hunting as it will cut the spring unguided hunters by 50+%. The fall road closures have REALLY helped, I love it, lets pray it stays a law forever (it will sunset unfortunatelyI fear). CLosing ALL fall seasons would be best IMHO for bears to get the numbers wherever folks feel they should be.

As for 15 years ago, didn't you come up here and harvest a smallish bear? Recently? Did you hunt here 15 years ago? Out of my spring bear hunters this year- 12, I had 4 bears square over 7 feet. Real square. We ran 67% success. ERVERYONE saw over 10 bears per person their week. I guess 25% B&C for all hunters not just successful hunters isn't like the old days.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I was there 3 years ago or so, during my research I talked with a lot of guys who described the hunting 15 years ago, a bowhunters dream! Cruise the shoreline, spot a bear, anchor boat out of site, stalk, start over and find another bear easily if you mess up.

Did you have a boat while you were up here? Did you cruise the shorelines?

Also I have got some info from a guide and I will quit calling them entitlement tags as this isn't an accurate representation of what they have.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I did bears were very skitish, I took mine in a hidden from ocean view tidal grass flat out of sight of the main ocean.