Thread: Anybody using the Globalstar GSP-1700?

Default Anybody using the Globalstar GSP-1700?

I recently acquired one, and a 12th month service contract ($19.99 per month unlimited minutes). I'm completely aware of Globalstar's shortcomings, but for the price, and it's intended use, it's just fine for me.

My main question is: Are there any options for an external antenna other than the car kit? I really don't need the whole hands free bluetooth stuff for $800, I just want to mount an antenna on the roof of my cabin so I can make calls without going outside. I've seen plenty of options for expensive fixed units, as well as Iridium phones, but nothing for the GSP-1700. Also, I'm curious about a simple cable that goes from whatever the 1700 uses for a connection to a BNC connector, since my airplane has a satphone antenna already installed with a BNC connector inside. Both the manufacturer and the service provider seem to be a black hole of information.

Any help from you Satphone Gurus would be appreciated.

Yes the $19.99/month is terrific for unlimited airtime. Note that Globalstar added a $4.95/month 'Network Administration Fee' in October but since yua re subscribed now, you will be grandfathered when they start to charge different rates next year.

About your antenna - Unfortunately there is no easy solution, just the docking kit or the portable car kit. There is no simple connector. The good thing (if youw ant to see it that way) is that if you buy a portable car kit, you can run a cable in your cabin and plug in whne there, then take it in the plane when you fly. One kit can serve both purposes.

Sorry I don't have anything better right now. Maybe once Globalstar gets back to full service, theywill start building more innovative solutions.

Let em know if I can help you. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I recently acquired one, and a 12th month service contract ($19.99 per month unlimited minutes). I'm completely aware of Globalstar's shortcomings, but for the price, and it's intended use, it's just fine for me.

My main question is: Are there any options for an external antenna other than the car kit? I really don't need the whole hands free bluetooth stuff for $800, I just want to mount an antenna on the roof of my cabin so I can make calls without going outside. I've seen plenty of options for expensive fixed units, as well as Iridium phones, but nothing for the GSP-1700. Also, I'm curious about a simple cable that goes from whatever the 1700 uses for a connection to a BNC connector, since my airplane has a satphone antenna already installed with a BNC connector inside. Both the manufacturer and the service provider seem to be a black hole of information.

Any help from you Satphone Gurus would be appreciated.

If you decided to go too an outside antenna you will need to use large coax cable because of the uhf frequency. If you do not the outside antenna may not work. Also most car antenna use the car as the other haft of the antenna (ground plane) so you may need to add a ground plane to the car antenna if you put it on the cabin roof.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I was hoping for a cheap solution, but I guess there isn't one to be had. I'm just reluctant to spend a bunch more money when I don't know what the rates will be after 12 months (not sure if I'm going to renew). $750 for a satphone for a year is worth it to me, but $1500 (added car kit) is a bit much considering it might go up on ebay next December.