Thread: Situk Steelhead Fishing

Default Situk Steelhead Fishing

I'm looking for some information on yarn fly colors to use on the Situk next month. Any advice out there?

Orange, Chartruse, Pink and Black
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up

Muchos Gracias

Take everything you've got. It changes from hour to hour and day to day. Blood red is single best color in my experience. Blue has been really good on certain days.

Some days they like lots of color, some days not so much. You'll find out.

I remember a paticular day when the sun was bright and the water very low and clear. The buzz on the river was to use small and dark flies since the fish were spooky. A buddy and I tried bright pink flash flies with lots of tinsel and hammered them. Go figure.

thanks Mr. Pid, I guess I'll bring all the colors of the rainbow and hope for dumb luck!

yup with steelhead its pretty much dumb luck I plan on fishing them like big rainbows with nymphs just cause thats how I like to fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Take everything you've got. It changes from hour to hour and day to day. Blood red is single best color in my experience. Blue has been really good on certain days.

Some days they like lots of color, some days not so much. You'll find out.

I remember a paticular day when the sun was bright and the water very low and clear. The buzz on the river was to use small and dark flies since the fish were spooky. A buddy and I tried bright pink flash flies with lots of tinsel and hammered them. Go figure.
    Just wondering how often you have fished the Situk for steelhead? I have never fished it and am planning a trip also for April.

If I took everything I got I would have 4 extra bags of luggage? If you only could take one type / color lure / fly to Situk based on your experience with catching steelhead, what would it be?

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.co...riansituk.html

I found this link on the internet. I am sure some forum members have something to suggest or add to this post after looking over the link. I found this to be credible information about an actual experience on the situk for steelhead. It gave specifics what to use; lures, rods, and expectations of catch ratios.

Are the field notes on the Situk in this article "right on" or "way off"...I know some of you guide types can't resist to post com'on lets hear your experience on the Situk I'm looking for help> TSS

Wish I could give you some advice but I'm a virgin on this river as well. Hey, could we be part of the same group? I'm going with Don and Bob.

Default Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
    Wish I could give you some advice but I'm a virgin on this river as well. Hey, could we be part of the same group? I'm going with Don and Bob.
    I do not know Don or Bob? I am going with another Salmon Jedi (Gedney) 27 Apr - 1 May. Not sure when your going?

TSS

Default If I could just bring one...

Bring some yarn. It's light and you can bring a variety of colors. I did the best on the Situk going simple. Blue and Chartreuse worked great for me. Purple also. Try a couple colors together and trim with scissors into egg-size. No need to buy the "Rodman's Revenge or Jerry Garcia's."
    Attached Images Attached Images

We'll be fishing the week before you guys. We'll get them warmed up for you. Good luck.

Ok...let me know how ya do.

TSS

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Just wondering how often you have fished the Situk for steelhead? I have never fished it and am planning a trip also for April.

If I took everything I got I would have 4 extra bags of luggage? If you only could take one type / color lure / fly to Situk based on your experience with catching steelhead, what would it be?

TSS
    gold/orange hot shot
    if you dont like pulling plugs. Gold/green spinner or just a gold spinner or spoon.
    Yarn flys in pink, shrimp pink, egg color, oregon cheese.
    pink worm or chartreuse worm. beads also work. wobble glos.
    hope this helps.

Default Situk tackle box

I have fished the Situk a number of times. The 1st year I tied six of everything.Took along several boxes of flies. Ended up catching 90% of the fish on yarn. I would definitely bring along an extra spool filled with backing (make sure it's wound tight) topped off with about 100yds of 14# stren flourocarbon. My tackle box consists of ziploc bag of chartreuse,steelhead orange, cerise,lt.blue,deep dark red,baby pink glo bug yarn, a pair of curved fly tying scissors, sz 2 red gamakatsu octopus hooks, split shot sizes 5,4,3,2 snell the hook directly to the line & put the yarn through the egg loop. For some reason it works much better than tying up glo bugs ahead of time. Run the split shots about 2ft. above the hook. This method worked very well in the lower river esp. when the water was higher. Size 2 hooks seem to be the magic combo w/14# test this allows you to bend the hook out & get some of your rigs back. There are LOTS of snags! DO NOT spool mono over your fly line trust me,it will ruin it. If you fish upstream of the bridge you can get by using floating line & a long leader, but in the lower river the mono trick works much better. Other people will have different opinions. I'm just letting you know what worked best for me & try to save you some time. Good Luck

Orange is my number 1 color when fishing teh situk. I have countless succeful days there.

Good Luck