Thread: Canning caribou

Default Canning caribou

Anyone ever tried to can caribou? I have my suspicions about canning it due to the blood content in the meat. Anyone have a recipe they'd be willing to share?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

cube good cuts, raw pack clean pint jars leaving 1 inch of head space, add 1/4 -1/2 tsp of canning salt. Put on lids and can at 11bs for 110 minutes Do not add any liquids. Cut all fat from meat, as it can go rancid. Works out great.

The way SteveS describes is the same way my wife does it.

Blood in meat ?? is still meat.....you should see Seal or Whale Meats, blak in color from the ammount of iron in it, it drys and 1/2 drys well and jars up just fine, so I think your set
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

We've canned pretty much everything. As far as fat, that's a big plus for us and if it's fatty meat it always goes into the jar and we haven't had any problems. From beaver to bear...the pressure cooking preserves it.

I use the same recipe except I put a boulion cube per pint and you can eat it right out of the jar. Super tender can't tell if it's neck meat or backstrap. Thinking caribou stroganoff tommorrow.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

mom cans it its AMAZING! especially in sammiches. and i'm not one for meat sammiches
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Yes! Steve has it right on. We add hot peppers to some and other spices. Makes it great for sandwhiches mixed W/ mayonaise, onion, carrot slivers, cellery and bell peppers. The wife also makes stew and cans it, makes a quick diner. The best part is you can can about anything but the hoof and its good.

We can some plain with a little salt, but our favorite is to add a clove of garlic and half a Spanish onion last thing to each pint jar. For variety we also flour some of the cubes lightly and brown them before canning. Kinda makes its own gravy in the jar, ready to eat with a big fork, or heat and put over the top of rice or potatoes. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    cube good cuts, raw pack clean pint jars leaving 1 inch of head space, add 1/4 -1/2 tsp of canning salt. Put on lids and can at 11bs for 110 minutes Do not add any liquids. Cut all fat from meat, as it can go rancid. Works out great.

I do the same but I do one tsp of pickling salt and 1 tsp of onion powder. Comes out like a roast cooked with lipton onion soup. And it does make great sandwiches especially if you warm it up with some precooked carmelized onions, green peppers, mushrooms and provolone cheese for the best philly cheese sandwich you will ever eat.

Has anyone ever tried horseradish added to the meat before canning? I just thought of that and if I get another deer I am going to try some. I love horseradish on prime rib so it may be good. The onion powder sounds good also. All this is making me hungry. I did can a deer this fall but only used salt and pepper which we like real well.

Give caribou canning a try, it's good stuff. I bet you won't be disappointed however you spice it up or whether you can it chunked up raw or as I sometimes do by cubbing it up and browning it first with spices in a skillet before canning. Horseradish sounds like a nice taste variation. Give it a go and let us know how it came out!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thanks for the suggestions. Will def be giving it a try

Just had some canned caribou over brown rice mmmm
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Just made up a batch with garlic powder and crushed red pepper. Waiting for it to cool. Can't wait!

"Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.