Thread: Center Pin Build

Default Center Pin Build

Im thinking of building a Center Pin rod out of a Spay Blank. I was wondering if any one had any advise on what weight rod blank to use? I want it to perform like a 6-12lb center pin rod.

Thanks

Not sure what you are looking to spend on a blank but the Sage Z-Axis 6126-4 is a great stick for a pin rod.
    Last edited by akgloomis; 12-11-2011 at 11:07. Reason: spelling error
    "The Tug is the Drug"

As is the 7136-4 for bigger flows and or bigger fish.
    Keep in mind that spey blanks are heavier in weight than a traditional CP blank.
    My favorite CP blank I use in AK is a Rainshadow XST1562-3. Nice and light with good power but only 3 pce while most spey blanks are 4 pce.

Ditto what Drifter said. If you're going to go to the trouble to build a rod, you may as well use a blank that's CP specific. Using a spey blank would be counter-intuitive; CP's rely on a "noodle-like" limber action to cushion the fight of the fish along with palming/finger pressure on the free-spinning reel. I'm sure you could find a quality center-pin blank from G.Loomis, Raven, St.Croix, or Okuma.

Give lots of thought to the average size fish you will target and the size of river. Also, give consideration to how you will travel with the rods. If airline, like me, perhaps a 4 piece spey rod blank would be worth considering. I have several 12.5' Batson rods. Some are 7/8 wt Forecast for bigger species, some are 6 wt Rainshadow for bows/dollies. All are 4 piece and travel well. You could go the Sage route if you wanted a higher end rod. Many ways to skin a cat of course. Either way, have fun on your winter project. Pinning is extremely effective in some instances. Makes a nice addition to your fly fishing gear, no doubt.

-Dan

I started a post similar to this in regard to travel rods. It seems strange that none of the major rod manufactures have picked up on the fact that 3 to 4 piece traveling flyrods are the norm but unfortunately 8 to 13' traveling spinning rods are pretty much unavailable.
    As recommended in my other traveling rod post a good alternative would be to have a center-pin spinning rod built on a spey rod blank.

This brings up another question. Would a spinning reel work very well on a regular spey rod that has a fly reel seat? I'm aware that the speyrod guides are likely a lot smaller than guides found on a spinning rod. I'm wondering if casting and battling fish would be a problem with a spinning reel attached to a regular spey rod that doesn't have any alterations? I tested it out and my spinning reel fits into my sage fly rod seats but not too terribly great.

Echo is coming out with a TR7130-based 4-piece pin rod in 2012.

Might be cheaper that building from the blank up, if you know what I mean.

I would suspect so. Can't believe nobody has tapped into this market yet. Hard to fly with a 14' three piece rod. A four piece pinning rod is a natural progression for us guys that travel to places we fish. Seems Keith at WWA said he had been working on something with a manufacturer. Don't know when he was getting the rods, but it was in the works. Echo perhaps, he would not drop the name when I spoke with him back in Sept.

-Dan

Only problem with long multi piece pin rods is the weight.
    Every time you add another ferrule you add about 1/2 ounce to the weight of the raw blank.
    This extra weight ends up in the top 1/2 of the rod and makes for sore arms after a long day on the river.
    This is the reason you see so many 13 foot 2 piece rods around. Way less weight and more comfortable to use.
    If you take two of Rainshadows 13' XST blanks assemle them and hold one in each hand you can really notice the difference in weight between the two even though they are both rated for the same lure/line.
    Just something to keep in mind when thinking multi piece long rods.

Your comments in regard to added weight with each ferrule is right on the money.

The problem I have is I travel quite a bit and a 2 piece 13' rod would be around 6' 6" long! No way to get this on most airlines and a pain in the rear getting in and out of boats, planes, and automobiles! Also, many airlines are charging big $ for each additional piece of luggage. I understand alittle more weight and probably a little less performance with additional ferrules but it seems like most of the high dollar flyrods are available in 2, 3, and 4 piece. If 3 or 4 piece flyrods work well and are in high demand you would think the same would be true with long spinning rods? I would think the first major rod company that picks up on this is going to sell a bunch of these rods!

If a 3 pce. will do you then look no further than Batson Enterprises: http://www.batsonenterprises.com/salmon-steelhead and their XST1562-3 13' 3pce steelhead blank. It's a beauty blank. Nice and light with lots of power. I find myself using it more and more and it is my number one rod when chasing bows and dollys on theKenai in September.

There are a bunch more 13' 3pce blanks out there too. Lamiglass, CTS, Raven.
    Raven makes 2 different 13' 6" blanks and one 12' 9" blank as well as completed factory rods.