Thread: Making Decoys...

Default Making Decoys...

Does anyone make their own dekes? Any kind at all, whether you hunt with them or just put them on the mantle.

I'd like to start making my own once we buy this house, and was curious about where to start for instruction, supplies, etc.

Thanks!

Willy McDonald runs one of the best on-line sources for traditional decoy carving instruction and supplies.

http://www.theduckblind.com/

The modern guys are shaping decoys from foam and then burlapping with acrylic mastic and painting. There are a couple of good tutorials on the decoy section at the Refuge forums.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Willy McDonald runs one of the best on-line sources for traditional decoy carving instruction and supplies.

http://www.theduckblind.com/

The modern guys are shaping decoys from foam and then burlapping with acrylic mastic and painting. There are a couple of good tutorials on the decoy section at the Refuge forums.

I was just looking over all of those. I'm familiar with www.theduckblind.com. I have actually bought one of his kits in the past, but never had the time to get into it. I ended up selling it on craigslist before I finished my first deke.

I think I'd like to have burlapped gunners because I really like how durable they are. Apart from that, I'd like to carve a few to put around the house. If anything, it'll give me something to do for 2 weeks at a time while I'm home from the slope...

I made a half dozen a few years ago out of blue foam insulation. Glued them together with Gorilla glue and painted them with latex paint. Beware, rattle can paint melts the foam, don't ask me how I found out . I found that it was more effort than it was worth and for the quality of the end result with my skills, but if you are an artist with lots of time to put into it, go for it. There are a few articles out there on making them if you spend some time on google.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Does anyone make their own dekes? Any kind at all, whether you hunt with them or just put them on the mantle.

I'd like to start making my own once we buy this house, and was curious about where to start for instruction, supplies, etc.

Thanks!
    PM or email me if you need help or advice. I've made hand-carved, hollow, hunting decoys professionally for over 25 years.

Attachment 55642

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    PM or email me if you need help or advice. I've made hand-carved, hollow, hunting decoys professionally for over 25 years.

Will do. Where are you located?

Soldotna area