Thread: Harding report 10 Dec

Default Harding report 10 Dec

Well thought I'd give the new vexilar a try and mark some lakers in the depths of Hard Luck Harding. The name didn't disappoint! In about 6 hours I was able to manage one strike at about 90' that I whiffed on. Couldn't believe it! So close...other than marking some bait fish that was about it. The ice seemed thinner where I was compared to other trips (6-8 in) and still not quite ready to drive on yet IMO. Winds were calm until about the last 5 min at which one point my Eskimo quickfish 3 was ripped off of me like a tornado. Man that thing is being repaired after each trip! One more season with it?LOL...it was time to call it a day. Trying again next week sometime and hopefully will have some pics to post. Good luck to all who dare out at Hard Luck

Sapper in the Skies

Default vexilar

Sapper 27, what vexilar are you using? I went out to a local lake today and got nothing...other than my buddy pulling up about a 4 foot weed fish!

I have not had the best of luck this year in my beginner season, but not for a lack of trying that is for sure! I was thinking if I had a fish finder, maybe it would help me by marking fish then fishing for them.

I've been out three of the last four days, if for only a few hours, and have found the action to be very slow as compared to a couple weeks ago......and I'm not chasing lakers, just rather ordinary rainbows and char. I'm really having problems finding that "magic hour" that we've all experienced at one time or another! I'm beginning to believe that this recent, turbulent weather pattern is playing a major role. Of course, I'm sure somebody somewhere is slaying them, thus debunking my theory!

Tiger15 I am using the vexilar fl-12...so far so good. Essential for deep water like Harding. As far as the magic hour RaffPappy I know what you mean. Harding on average we guesstimate produces 1 fish landed per outing on average. Very slow but every fish has the potential to be a monster. We've had days where we landed 5 lakers as well (very rare). Normally this early we like quartz but with the new vexilar and the shorter drive Harding is too much to resist.

Thanks Sapper, I appreciate the information! Just out of curiosity and lack of experience, do you drill a hole and check down or can the sonar read through the ice?

Default Sonar Lunar Table

For what it's worth the sonar lunar table shows yesterday to be the poorest day of the month. The peak days are around Christmas time. Yesterday at Quartz we did not even see one fish. We will see what happens today.

Yeah we pop a couple holes and throw the transducer down the hole to get readings. Vexilar does make a hand held unit though that reads through clear ice and in the water. Don't think it was meant for Alaska hard water though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    Yeah we pop a couple holes and throw the transducer down the hole to get readings. Vexilar does make a hand held unit though that reads through clear ice and in the water. Don't think it was meant for Alaska hard water though.
    As long as you have clear black ice you can read through the ice.
    You have to shovel a patch clean place your transducer on the ice and pour a little water on the ice so the transducer can couple to the ice. I have been able to read depth through over 5' of ice and have even been able to mark fish on a couple of occasions.
    Drilling test holes through 5' of ice uses up a lot of valuable time.

Yesterday same result rising preasure and the sonar lunar table predicted bad fishing day= Double doughnut! Did manage to survey some different areas of the lake though.