Thread: which 10mm ?

Default which 10mm ?

I've decided to buy a 10mm, since I just sold one pistol I'm ready to fill that open space in my safe.... I can pick up an EAA Witness Compact NIB or a Glock 29 LNIB for the same price. Any suggestions on which one to get and why?

The Witness is the heavier gun, I think, which may matter if you plan on packing it or shooting it more. The Glock has a lot of aftermarket support if you want a longer barrel, different caliber barrel, etc. Glock holds more rounds, the Witness may have a little better trigger. I think the Witness has a thumb safety and a hammer, if those are important to you.

If you don't reload, you will probably want to start, 10mm is spendy to purchase. Otherwise, get a .40 barrel for the 29 ($125) and you can shoot .40 cal in it. A dozen boxes of ammo would probably pay for the barrel.

If you get the Glock, consider getting the SF model, which has a grip that isn't as deep front to rear. It makes it easier for some people to like. It will say SF on the side of the frame, and the hollow cavity to the rear of the mag isn't as large.

I have a witness and it is a CZ-75b clone. Nice piece and shoots factory 10mm well. Can be shot double or single action with hammer and thumb safety. Higher cap mags are available for it if you want and a .40 cal barrel is supposedly a simple swap. The heavy stuff I feel needs a spring change and I don't think I have found the right weight. I think the factory spring is 18lbs and I swapped in a 22 or 23 lb spring and it isn't feeding well since the change. I think it is to heavy now. I have not sat down to research one in the 20-21 lb range but I think that would be ideal. The factory "wonder finish didn't impress me after a trip to Kodiak as I came home with rust spots. I had the whole gun duracoated by Hunt_AK. I like it and once I find the right tune I think it will be a great AK carry piece but it isn't right out of the box IMHO. I also don't think the Glock is either though so it is personal pref on which one you want to tweak. Glock likely has a more stable parts supply than the EAA but parts are available for both if you poke around the web a bit.

Witch EAA? I have a EAA Match in 10mm and itís a great gun. Had an EAA compact in 40, also a good gun. And have a standard EAA Witness in 45, itís an okay gun. Also have Glocks, they are Glock . . . meaning it goes bang every single time but is ugly with a funny trigger, all tool all the time to my eye but good a tool.

So what to get? I donít know, they are both good options. Iíd not pay the same for a bottom grade Witness as a Glock but I would take a Match or better grade for the same money every time. Iíd not buy a plastic EAA for any price though. If you want to trick one out you want the Glock as Wittiness stuff is hard to find. You wonít go too far wrong with ether though so long as you like it and we arenít including the plastic EAA.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have no experience with EAA. But i have experience with other 10mm chambered guns. Since getting my glock 20 I dont plan on switching. I have shot the 29 too, and I will say it felt like to powerfull of a caliber for such a small gun and a little hard to handle.

Well, wrapped my hand around both a G29 and a G29 SF today. Neither one of the glocks felt like it fit my hand very well, so I guess it's time to examine the Witness and see how it feels.

You can always run a spacer and G20 magazine to get a full-size grip. Add a 5" barrel and you have 2 guns in one...a pocket gun and a full size for other things. Hard to ignore the 15+1 capacity. Another thing about Glocks is drop-in barrel swaps for caliber changes.

Just my .02

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    You can always run a spacer and G20 magazine to get a full-size grip. Add a 5" barrel and you have 2 guns in one...a pocket gun and a full size for other things. Hard to ignore the 15+1 capacity. Another thing about Glocks is drop-in barrel swaps for caliber changes.

Just my .02
    All true of the EAA also other than it's 14+1, one less than Glock. My first Witness was a 40 Compact and all I ever used was the big mags with grip extenders on them, doesnít look as good on a steel gun as a Glock but works fine. I paid $199 for a 40 conversion kit that is the complete top end and a 40 magazine, one pin and I can turn my DA standard Witness frame 45 or my SA Match frame into a 40 . . . mix and match all I want. The downfall is aftermarket parts, tough to find much of anything other than what EAA sells.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Just my .02
    Ditto. One frame and a few changes = lots of fun.

Guncrafter makes a .50 drop-in conversion for the G20/21. Talk about the ultimate Glock!!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Ditto. One frame and a few changes = lots of fun.

Guncrafter makes a .50 drop-in conversion for the G20/21. Talk about the ultimate Glock!!
    I saw one of those down in AZ, I was gonna get one till I looked at the ballistic numbers. They say 4-600lb/ft but they donít say that is with 185 and 230 grain bullets . . . they only push the 300g, the whole reason I wanted .50cal, @ 700fps (really more like 680 in the gun we had) so I backed out.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I built a .50 Beowulf upper because I could but there is nothing magic about the .50 cal until you get to a .500 S&W or maybe .50BMG....but it is fun to play with and talk about.

Some of the various .45 cal wildcats will work on the G20/21 frame but they are really nothing special either.

I wish Glock would make a hunting/animal protection gun in a 9 shot single stack frame that would equal the 44 Mag/45 Colt...if the Israelis can do it, I bet the Austrians can too. Forget the 45 GAP and build a 44 Auto Mag or Super 45 Win Mag that will push a 300 gr at 1400 fps....I think that is good enough.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have a EAA witness Hunter in 10mm nice gun for the money.Accuracy is pretty good

I love my Glock 20, its been to Kodiak on numerous trips and not one spot of rust. love the reliability, and the parts availability. I would chose the Glock.

I have the EAA compact poly. Only issue I have had is magazines, they need a bit of tweaking. But I understand they ship with better mags now. I run 220Gr hardcasts in it and they stabilise well - a Glock will need an aftermarket barrel for that. Also I have been impressed wth the stregth of the Witness; I had a case split (a kaboom) that caused no damage to the gun at all, just a big noise, sparks and bits of case flying out the ejection port. Caused by (I think) a poorly crimped load and the bullet compressed yje case capacity when feeding.
    Easy gun to carry, reasonable light and you can get conversion kits (slide and barrle) for $200 for 22, 9mm, 40 and 45.
    Biggest issue is holsters, you are pretty much restricted to 'universal'.

Depending on the case split, I think it is fairly common not to have any issues. The lengthwise case splits, it seems, don't have the same symptoms or consequences that a full on KB does. The ones that cause more issues are the ones that blow out a portion of the web in the case. The lengthwise splits don't necessarily need high pressure to happen, and are more a symptom of poor brass.

Oh, and the 220g not being stable in the Glock isn't necessarily the case. Not everyone has issues, it seems like most people point to Hickok's vid on Youtube to prove it. I have more to do, but so far it seems the 230g slugs I have been shooting out of a G20 are doing fine in the stock barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by HBM View Post
    Depending on the case split, I think it is fairly common not to have any issues. The lengthwise case splits, it seems, don't have the same symptoms or consequences that a full on KB does. The ones that cause more issues are the ones that blow out a portion of the web in the case. The lengthwise splits don't necessarily need high pressure to happen, and are more a symptom of poor brass.

Oh, and the 220g not being stable in the Glock isn't necessarily the case. Not everyone has issues, it seems like most people point to Hickok's vid on Youtube to prove it. I have more to do, but so far it seems the 230g slugs I have been shooting out of a G20 are doing fine in the stock barrel.
    Ditto...I`ve had no problem with hardcast accuracy from the factory barrel...as a matter of fact I use the factory barrel in the woods over the aftermarket...just to be sure that it will be reliable.

If Hickok`s video was using a rest/vise I`d have more to believe about the accuracy difference. Keep in mind DT uses factory barrels and doesn`t make a habit of selling lame ammo.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

If you want a reliable woods gun, the Glock is hard to beat. For home protection, crack heads, range duty, etc.. check out the Colt Delta Elite. I have both and they are like apples and oranges. Both excel in their arena though.

-Dan

Thanks for all the replies/discussion. Turns out I'm going another direction, 460 Rowland instead of 10mm. I picked up a nice deal on a 5" XD 45 last night and I'll be stopping by WildWest Guns for a conversion kit this week.

The XD fits my hand very well and I really like the numbers on the 460 rowland so I'm pretty happy with the change in plan.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    If you want a reliable woods gun, the Glock is hard to beat. For home protection, crack heads, range duty, etc.. check out the Colt Delta Elite. I have both and they are like apples and oranges. Both excel in their arena though.
    -Dan
    Good to read that you're still liking your Delta Elite Dan.

I too have both the Delta Elite and the G20. I prefer the G20 over the Colt for woods carry. My Colt is a very (VERY) early model of the Delta Elite so the nostalgia points goes to the Delta Elite.

About a year ago I had thought about the 460 Rowland and nearly went that way but settled on the G20. I'm happy with my Glock 10mm.

MyTime