Thread: Draw Knives

Default Draw Knives

What is a good brand of draw knives? I bought a Columbus McKinnion from AIH and it's duller than crap, and the steel seems very soft. I will be peeling smaller logs 3-5 inch diameter. Thanks for any advice.

Almost every draw knife I have used, from commercial made to homemade, have been pretty soft. Pretty much softer than an axe steel. I sharpen them with a 10" mill ******* file.

I bought a 13'' draw knife from AIH years ago(don't remember the brand but is green in color) and it was a little dull but a good trick I use an orbital sander with 120 grit sand paper.If my knife starts to get to dull I just touch it up real quick and back in action.

I haven't used them as the cost is prohibitive for the little use it would get but I have never heard a negative thing about Gransfors Bruks tools. http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

I also have one purchased from AIH about 11 years ago. It would not bite into the bark. I took it to a knife sharpener that "hollow ground" the blade. I'm not sure if that is the best solution but it worked.

A draw knife is simply a big wide chisel with side handles. Flatten the back and sharpen the bevel side. I run my file cutting towards the edge.

Get it sharp before you ever use it and continually touch it up as you use it with a 6 inch stone.