Thread: Halibut Rod to go with smaller reels

Question Halibut Rod to go with smaller reels

We just had a post about Halibut reels. What I want some info on is rods to match up with the new lighter reels. I have fished with the Trevala stick and I have a Hopper jigging rod. The're OK but both are parabolic, they bend through the whole length. I think I would like to find something with just a little more stiffness in the handle section, but still lighter than the old "tuna sticks". Anybody got any thoughts or been playing with anything new?

Look no further: Cedros Speed Jig Rod

You might try out one of the Seeker 659H models. they pretty much fall right between the tuna stick and the trevala. I think B&J's might have them if not try the tackle repair center on Arctic.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Don't laugh but you might try a Shakespeare Ugly Stik tiger.

Check out whopperstopper.com for some great halibut rods. Ed builds all of them himself and will be at the Great Alaska Sportsmen's Show this spring. He is usually in the booth next to me Alaska Shrimp Pots, he's the guy thats out in the aisle handing you a short stand up style rod to try out. Get there early cause he usually sells out quickly.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Sorry about that, Jim do you have some of Ed's rods?? Would you guys in Fairbanks be interested in seeing Ed and his rods at the outdoors show this spring at the Carlson? I might be able to talk Ed into coming with me.

The man himself!!
    ed the rod builder.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Bocca rods

Check out Bocca rods also next time your in BJ's.
    Just picked one up for the wife at their recommendation over the Trevala that i was headed in there for.
    Also-all rods were 20% off last week.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Look no further: Cedros Speed Jig Rod
    That's what I have but be careful because if you have the rod tip too high and are reeling in a fish or even just setting the hook you can snap the rod. I've seen that happen at least once or twice. And I'm not even talking about big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Sorry about that, Jim do you have some of Ed's rods?? Would you guys in Fairbanks be interested in seeing Ed and his rods at the outdoors show this spring at the Carlson? I might be able to talk Ed into coming with me.

The man himself!!
    ed the rod builder.jpg
    I've used his rods for 10 years now and they are great. I love catch big and small fish with them. They are the only rods that I can fish halibut all day on.

I've had a pair of seeker blue lighting inshore rods for several years, I picked up an okuma cedros a couple years back, and last season a pair of trevalla's, one xh, the other xxh.

If you don't want a parabolic rod, the seekers might be what you are looking for. I've caught some decent lings on them and they seem to have plenty of backbone for larger fish, and the bend is definately in the forward part of the rod. They are 6 1/2' rods.

As far as the cedros, personally I prefer the trevalla as the trevalla is a livlier rod and seems to work over a larger range of jig weights. I find the xh trevala seems to work well with 4-12 oz jigs, and the xxh for 8-20oz jigs.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Where are you fishing, and how much weight will you need to stay on bottom? The "jig" rods get a bit flappy when you hang two pounds or more on them. I think cook inlet calls for a more traditional, "stiff" halibut rod if you're hung on anchoring in deep water in heavy current.

I have a penn torque jig rod, an okuma cedros jig rod, and a shimano jig rod that's not the trevala series but rather is a bit more like a traditional bluewater boat rod, 6.5' long and glass. I like them all, and I like them better than the oldschool poolcues. They wear Daiwa SL-X20SHA reels, or shimano charter special reels modified with Alan Tani's aluminum topless frames.

Hello

I bought Whopper stoppers from Ed when my girls were young because of the size, but when I fished with them I was hooked. Now I have 7 of them on the boat. I still carry a normal sized rod for people that I really dont like or dought that they will catch fish. By the end of the day they want a whopper stopper to fish with. Ed is the BEST and he will build special orders for the show price.

Later Moose

So do i try and talk Ed from whopperstoppers to come to Fairbanks with me ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692