Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot my first fox, redeemed my self

Default Shot my first fox, redeemed my self

I was calling using a 100 year old indian technique, and it came in to 40 yards and I center punched it through the chest, it fell over right there but took off at a slow jog, but I couldn't get another shot. I started tracking and it stopped in a swamp about 300 yards later, to far for a shot, ended up bumping him and he went another half mile before I finally turned around cause I though I couldn't take another step, mostly cause I had been shoveling snow and ice out from inside a foundation of a house all day, and I came back and Dad said, lets go, so I went back out and after a looonng hike, (total length would be about 1 1/2 miles through snow up to your waist. found it 3/4 of the way up a super steep hill, one more shot put it down for good. got back at 1:30, got to sleep at 3:00 AM and got back up at 6am to go back to work, I had a hard time getting motivated seeing all that snow in the basement.....it was miserable, but it was worth it.

Turns out it was that same fox as I posted about in the "hydrogen peroxide on frozen blood" thread on the hunting forum.

Wont use a 22 LR for fox again, as autopsy concluded that it was a good hit, maybe if I used hollow points instead of those cheap federal crappy bullets it would fragment out but I don't know.

Why I didn't shoot it in the head, I have no clue, I panicked, I guess, and I have had "shoot it in the chest" drilled into me sense I started hunting, so that was the natural place to aim for, and un like when I shot my moose,I know exacially where my sights were on the animal.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Nicely done Fur, walking your wounded fox down. Good story.
    You are getting better at writing and your stories are really interesting.

Try some .22 LR Viper hollow points, they would be a better load in .22 LR for killing game but they aren't cheap. I like .22 mag better for killing small game. I don't use .22 LR solids for anything... except target practice.

Here is a picture mom took with her phone, I have more on my sisters camera, but I don't know how to up load it onto a mac...

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Very cool, I feel motivated all the sudden!

I commend you for finishing what you started - good job.

Cool!

How do ya know it sthe same Fox? Autopsy?

I use 40 grain solids.

.22lr hollow points generally dont fragment, and you want a heavy bullet for mass momentum to get deep penatration at distance. I use a .22LR to great effect to 100 yards, in a Bolt action. Remington .22LRs do me just fine because they are consistant and I can pleace the shot in the head every time.

Get some good plinking practise your .22lr at all kinds of ranges and stick with the samme bullet/make/type when you find a round that you shoot accuratly.
    My .22LR is in my boat or on my ride every time, its a great meat maker on small game as well as Fur............VERY handy.

Seems your figuring out that placement is VERY important, and Fur thats headshot is more valuable.

(what does a 100 year old Indian sound like? )
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Well done young man, well done!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

FUR, i see your Carharts are wet to the crotch. Good job sticking it out. That will go in your memory book for sure. Good job.

Way to get back out there and find that fox. I'm surprised at times how tough those little foxes can be at times. Even with solid hits, I've seen them run off 50 yards.

You mentioned the 100 year old indian technique. Were you using a blade of grass between your thumbs?

Sorry I thouht I said what it was, the technique is kinda kissing and sucking in on the back of your index and middle finger. Grandpa bought me how. he calls in rabbits that way too

I knew it was the same fox cause there was another hole, about where I figured the other fox was hit, and it was just starting to heal up, plus the fur was clean around it. and the hole had only a tiny bit of blood shot. but mostly cause the hole in the hide was just starting to heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    FUR, i see your Carharts are wet to the crotch. Good job sticking it out. That will go in your memory book for sure. Good job.
    Yes that was very wet, and cause my legs a big, blue jeans are tight, so I wear them as base layer with car harts on top. and that made it even harder to go

The .22lr is a very underrated round. I would not hesitate to shoot fox, lynx, coyotes, and even wolves (at close range) with that caliber. I prefer hunting with larger rounds for long distance shots in challenging conditions, but if I knew that every one of my shots would be within 100 yards I would hunt with a .22lr and a shotgun.

Glad you aren't getting slammed like I did for using a 22LR. I'm sure someone will chime in sooner or later though.

Good job on getting it! I'm glad your father re-motivated you to get it. Like others said, get more practice. Try it in all sorts of wind conditions and unknown ranges. It is amazing what you can do when with a little practice. I use Federal auto match. Super accurate. Find what YOUR gun likes though. And remember: shot placement is everything!

Good Job FFG,
    Persistence will take you far out there

doesn't sound like you panicked to me,
    there's always a LOT going thru your mind at the moment before trigger pull, but,
    you followed your training on the chest shot,.... pulled it off,... stayed with the target for the reaction,....
    knew clearly, where your crosshairs were aligned, later in memory,

that's all good stuff for the moment of kill decision

So now, you learned some stuff, centering on the forehead instead, maybe, which ain't easy to wait for either,....
    Don't ya love that "Moment of Decision/Execution ?"

Good Story, thanks for posting, you're a heck of a hunter comin up,
    squeezing your passion into your snow/ice shoveling responsibilities,...... Awesome

(ps: you can sleep when you're Old,...... well, maybe anyway,....)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You're the kind of kid many Alaskan kids used to be: focused on what the countryside can offer them instead of what a digital screen can offer them. For that you get major kudos from me, an old timer.

Way to go. Good job kid. I agree with Sayak. There ain't too many youngsters like yourself these days.

Default brighter picture

Here is a better picture. Thanks for the repliys everybody

Nice fox! They are addicting little creatures to hunt.

Do yourself a favor though, and get a .22 mag. You'll have A LOT less tracking! (nice job sticking with it!)

CZ now offers some top shelf .22LR and .22WMR rifles. Congratulations on your fox, and having a great dad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast