Thread: .223 rem

Default .223 rem

i just bought a modle 700 .223 Im using it for coytoes and such been looking at reloading some fmj for it. what bullets and such works the best. looking for a good hard hit but not a big hole. any ideas would be great

Just my opinion, but I have a 20 Practical and the 32gr SX kill groundhogs and fox like lightning and they explode about an inch or so inside the critter and do not exit. You might think of using a very high speed fragile bullet instead of a FMJ which will make 2 holes and may tumble and leave a large exit wound. I have no reason to doubt they will kill a coyote too. Just a thought.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I've never found the fmj's accuracy to be up to what a 223 is capable of, but have used them for plinking. I've found that with a 55grm, 25gr of H-335 lit off with a CCI400 seems to do the trick.

If you're not happy with the accuracy, try a 50 gr hornady V-max under 26gr H-335.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hornady 55 gr FMJ W/C on top of 26.5-27 grains of Varget. 27 grains runneth a 223 over unless you use a drop tube or other method to get the powder to settle thus I just dropped a half grain.

Coyotes die easy and don't need gaping exit holes.

Here in the midwest the rumor is that coyote pelts are going to actually be worth some money this winter. I kilt a few coyotes last winter with a 7mm WSM and 100 grain boolits. I might have to leave that rascal home if the hides are fetching $ cuz it messes em up! !

My load is a Speer 52gr HP over 21.5gr IMR 4198. It's rare they exit fox let alone coyote. I never could get fmjs to shoot as well as the light HPs and they usually come out the far side. Sometimes they leave large holes sometimes a very small hole.

I'd like to bring this back from the dead if I can. I will shortly begin reloading for .223 Remington. It will be out a AR-15, 16" barrel platform. I'm looking for target shooting, small/medium game and self defense cartridges.
    I'm partial to Hornady bullets, but not married to them. I see the three most popular powders are listed above: Varget, H335 and IMR 4198(based on my feeble internet searches).
    Does anyone have some pet loads they want to recommend for these purposes. I'm not expecting one cartridge to do it all. I'm planning on putting two or three together. But I don't know if I should look for something different from a semi-auto opposed to what works in the bolt actions.
    Thanks.

Benchmark, Tac, AA2015, X-terminator, all good powders for the AR and bolt guns. It also meters very well for progressive loaders. I have read the US869 by hodgon(sp) is the same powder LC uses in 5.56. At 129 bucks for 8lbs that's the way to go if you can find it.

I have tried Varget under a bunch of different powders down to -30dF in .223 and love it. I agree with the above poster about stuffing the case with a darn snoot full of Varget. The loads I like for Varget in .223 are inside published limits, but I hear crunching noises as I seat the bullet.

Several times over the winter I stuck a 30 round AR magazine stuffed as above into my AR on a bench at the range and spent easily an hour letting the bottom cartridge in the magazine cool off while I was walking back and forth to 200 yards changing targets and sitting in the car to warm up and stuff, all at -20dF to -30dF. I used both CCI SRM and Remington SR primers, didn't seem to make a difference. Varget + .223 + cold weather = small groups far away.

Nice!
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm thinking of doing some 53gr V-Max and some 69gr BTHP so far (both Hornady). At the current prices I may just buy the Russian stuff for plinking time. I'm going to have to order the Lee "darn snoot full" scooper to measure powder with. I get what you're saying though. Thanks again.

Hornady is selling the Z-max bullets same thing as the V-max but with a green tip in bulk now. 500 55gr Z-max 79.99, they sell them in 52gr and 40gr as well. Pretty good deal for bulk bullets. If you can find them 15 dollars or less per hundred you are doing pretty good. Buddy came over last week he loaded 500 223/5.56 in about 6 hours on my progressive press, loading them for around 31 cents a round.

You might want to look at getting some 50 or 55 gr varmint nightmare bullets from midsouth. I got a 2000 pack of the 50's back before bullet prices jumped and they have been very accurate out of 223 bolt guns and AR's. I've found that 26 gr of H-335 works under any cup core 50 gr, and drop to 25 gr for the 55's. From mixed headstamp range pickup brass I'm grouping 1" or under for 5 shots at 100 yds. Not bad for fairly inexspensive ammo.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Anybody mess with the CFE223 powder from Hogdon? Sounds interesting. I honestly haven't messed with reloading for my .223 yet. I'm still burning up the less than $.35 a round UMC ammo I have I bought years ago. Still have 2000 rounds to go.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Anybody mess with the CFE223 powder from Hogdon? Sounds interesting. I honestly haven't messed with reloading for my .223 yet. I'm still burning up the less than $.35 a round UMC ammo I have I bought years ago. Still have 2000 rounds to go.
    I like it. It burns clean, and in my Stevens 223 a max load is nearly as accurate as my heavy barreled .222. If the velocities are as advertised, it pushes 50 grain bullets into light load 22-250 territory. (no chance to chronograph yet.) My groups got better as I approached max load density. I'll definitely be buying more when my current supply runs out.

When I did a lot of loading for 223 using a TC I found H335 to be very, very dirty. Lots of unburned powder left in the barrel. I found H322 to much cleaner in the shorter TC barrel. I don't remember the exact load but I will see if I can locate it.
    Groups were clover leafs or smaller at 100 yards. At teh time H322 was usually marked Military Surplus and could be had for about $6 a pound.