Thread: Looking for a hunting partner, Sept 12, Moose/Sheep

Default Looking for a hunting partner, Sept 12, Moose/Sheep

Iíve contacted Bushwacker Air about a self-guided moose/sheep hunt in September 12. I will dedicate a week to ten days on sheep and the same for moose, all in the Alaskan range.
    Unfortunately I cannot find a hunting partner within my small scope of military friends that has the time or money to commit to a flyout hunt. Iím hesitant about spending up to 20 days on a hunting trip with a stranger but being out by myself could be a recipe for disaster. If someone has a similar idea for hunting in Sept please contact me.
    Additionally, I have not committed to anything yet. Iím open to ideas and realize there is much for me to learn.

I take it Bushwhaker heads south to the AK range in Sept. ......I know he does the Brooks in Aug, for sheep, anyways....you might want to see what it will run to haul a moose and sheep out in a supercub ( to include yourself) because multiple trips will run you a fortune with most air transports.

The prices are on his website. It is a $900 extra for a moose but the sheep is included in the flat rate.
    Do you think Iím on the right track, looking into air transporters? I have the entire month of Sept and the money for extra trips. I donít however have the $15,000 for a guided trip.

Remember, you are also going to need a $600 gear flight. No way you are going to do a 20 day trip with the 50lb gear limit per passenger.

I would recommend that you break those two into separate hunts. Hunt sheep, come back and take care of your meat, rest your tired feet and reset for Moose. After 10 hard days of sheep hunting I just think you would be about out of gas and your sheep meat would spoil or have to be flown out, more cost. Add some weather into the mix and you may end up unhappy.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I recommend that you do whatever you can, while you can, while you are healthy enough to do so. Let only your own capabilities and the limitations of your hunt area influence your hunt. Don't let the meat spoil and give 'er hell.

Good grief.

Easy there, Vek.

The guy said he's a newb. He's doing his diligence and guys are offering sound advice.
    Twenty days is a lifetime out there. Lot of mental battles in a hunt that long.
    Dependable sat phone, extra transport $ and a bit of decent weather should be on that wish list...
    Proud to be an American!

This is the right place to start your research. I might suggest that you offer a little more info about yourself. Think of it as eharmony. What are your abilities, experience, physical abilities, gear that you have, what you are looking for in a partner. The more info that you provide the more seriousely you will be taken and the better responses you will recieve.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Thank you to everyone who has responded.
    In taking tboehmís advice, Iím 26, married, no kids, summer of 2010 I spent a lot of time on my 18í Alumacraft (sold this spring), setup a unsuccessful bear bait station, in good physical condition, Iíve taken a successful flyout caribou hunt with 70 north. I spend my money on hunting, fishing, boats, snowmachines and motorcycles. Last winter I sold the snowmachine and boat and will use that money to reinvest into hunting. I have my AK bow cert.
    When I get back from Afghanistan I will upgrade my semiauto 30-06 to a bolt action 300 win-mag, purchase a spotting scope and a pack frame. I have good waterproof gear, tent and sleeping bag.
    Iím looking for a partner who has time, money and enough commonsense/experience to be an asset on a hunt. Not necessarily someone who has a lot experience moose/sheep hunting but someone with the willingness to try and learn.
    In the next couple weeks I will search the forum for hunting stories with successful and happy people, and then try to mimic their experience.
    The last flight service I contacted asked me where I wanted to hunt moose. This seems to be an odd question to ask someone who is relatively new to AK and has little experience moose hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR900ARCTIC View Post
    Thank you to everyone who has responded.
    The last flight service I contacted asked me where I wanted to hunt moose. This seems to be an odd question to ask someone who is relatively new to AK and has little experience moose hunting.
    Thats because the charters services are not allowed to pick an area for you. You pick the spot and then they tell you if they can get you in and out. Some charters will have a list of places they will drop hunters or have in the past, but dont expect them to pick a spot for you