Thread: Homer derby/harbor

Cool Homer derby/harbor

Flew over the harbor today for a birds eye view. The west ramp looks dry with leads open north and south. Judging by the color of the ice, if the weather holds and wind helps, should be fine for fishing. See ya on the water.

Some of the boats were breaking ice from the open water up to the ramp today. So looks like a go.Now lets hope she does`nt blow on saturday.Good luck

Thumbs up yep, she's open

just a bit of ice still holding a few boats over on the east side, ramp is usable and most fingers are ice free.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default I was wondering

How is the ice on the ramp?
    I spoke to the harbor master today. He said there is one lane good to launch. He said, that today, a boat would have to motor around the outer shore, under the walkways, to get out. Then Jackie Purcell said it was a go and she is always right.
    Fortunately, I have a bid due Thur at HEA. Barring any crisis at work, I should get wet Friday. : )
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Wink i think there are at least 2 usable ramps

and with the weather and forecast i suspect that all 4 will be open by friday afternoon.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Charterboat Operator

Default Fish??

so with the harbor open and launchable, any good reports on fish? I have a funny feeling that w/ the water temps the way they have been that the fish are going to be in some different areas than we have usually found them. water temp, bait, etc... have the fish moved south to warmer waters? have they gone deep?
    Man I hate "gut" feelings.

Default pics from today

here are pics of the boat ramp as of this morning...

wind was blowing ice up against the eastern most dock (seen in last pic) and boats were getting out. The one boat in the pic ended up with a dead battery... make sure you check 'em before you launch!! :-)
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

It still looks a bit "iffy" to me with that much ice still on the water. I hope the wind does not come up and blow the ice back into the harbor and launch while people are out and can't get back in. Maybe it will be a moot point by Saturday.

well, taking the pics I posted last week, and comparing them to these... there has been a HUGE change. There was between 5-8" of ice right at the ramp, no open water in the channel, and so on. I think that with the way the weather is, and will be this week, it will be much better on Saturday - MUCH better!

Now if only the fish bite...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Charterboat Operator

Default The Fish?

ANY one heard any positive stories??
    from all the people i know the outlook is REAL dismal. personally I am thinking of bailing on the tourney, mostly due to the lack of fish, also due the thought of dragging my boat down over the Seward-Sterling highway roller coaster! for those that have not been down, wherever there is a flag up on the side of the road, SLOW DOWN! there are a few real humdingers!

Default Don't GO!

I agree. Don't go. The road is crappy, there is ice in the harbor and the fish aren't biting. Only a fool would go down there with those conditions. But I gotta tell you even with all of that this old boy is going to be down there NO MATTER WHAT! It's been too hard a winter and I don't care how bad the road is or how cold it is or if the fish are biting or not-getting the boat out into the salt and just having a chance at fresh fish on the table sure beats staying home another weekend. And to hear "Fish On" in early April is music to my ears!

Charterboat Operator

have heard of several fish bieng caught today! doesn't sound HOT by any means, but its fishin!
    unfortunatly I have to bail out. Good luck to all who fish!

Default PB

Drop a dime, what neck of the pond were they fishing in?

The road wasn't too bad. I think the weight of the boat helps keep it on the road. MOST of the stuff I had carelessly left on the table was still there. It helped that I was riding herd (1/4 mile back) on a big red (Tobasco) boat. He pointed out the real good ones.

Still lots of ice, but not a factor. Really nice day, sunny and bright. By the time I got out of work the wind was cutting a thick coat. The water looked good, some chop and an occasional roller.

I gotta couple of errands then gonna check it out. One thing is to hook up the new EZ steer. First derby with a wheel house, can't wait. An aluminum skiff and a Mustang suit was alway fun, but this sounds better.

Still taking the suit though.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Charterboat Operator

Default BB

happy 4TH OF JULY!

glad to hear the boat pull wasnt too bad, guess i gotta learn to slow down
    give it good whack and let us know how it turned out!!

Talking Right on, Thanks

Man it was nice today.
    Unfortunately, the boss caught me before I got out of the hotel and he killed my morning. Then I put on the new EZ Steer and that doesn't seem to be right, but enough of this wasted time and I splashed her. Started right up. Still some serious ice in the harbor. I took the last transiate spot and where I nosed into the rail I was just clear of the ice. I was going to do my part and break some up, but it was thick enough to stand on.
    Not many fish being caught. The big rumor is the 42-47 pounder at the bluffs.
    I didn't spend any time serious fishing, just shaking out the gear. But what a beautiful day. It was mid 40's and flat water. Boat humming across the water, lots of otter and not many boats.
    Should be a blast.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it