Thread: It is about that time

Default It is about that time

Went to shoot with a buddy of mine today and could not hit anything. Bought me a 22-250 this week and could shoot about a 2 1/2 to 3 inch group at 100 yards. My buddy took it and shot a couple groups under 1 inch. I finally decided that it is time for some eye glasses. Have been having trouble seeing my targets for a few years now but would not except the fact that old age is getting closer each day. Tell me about what I am in for. Those of you that wear glasses did you have trouble getting used to them when shooting. Any certain thing that I need to know before I invest in them. Been using reading glasses for around five years but they do not help when shooting anymore. Tell me what I need to know when I go to get me some glases.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

When I got my glasses, it helped immensely.

I waited too long. I reccomend you get your eyes examined.

When your eyes get reely bad, you might need Cateract Surgery.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

As a shooter you can purchase special glasses designed improve your shooting. Is your new rifle a synthetic stock or wood stock? Wood stocks can freeze and cause shots to wander even on rifles that a very accurate, normally.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

It is synthetic. I have been having trouble seeing the bulls eye for some time now. It is time for glasses. Do you mean I can get a extra pair for shooting or get one pair that will serve for every thing.

I wear progressive lenses as opposed to bifocals . If you get either type make sure you get the corrective area made as wide as possible. this wil help a lot especially using a bow. You are looking somewhat out the side of your eye as opposed to straight on as you would when using binoculars so the "wide angle" is a big help. Mickey

Yes no-line or ďprogressiveĒ by-focal helps greatly with handgun sights, you tip your head to find the sweet spot Rifle is different, with a good cheek weld you are looking over the bridge of your nose way away from the part of the lenses you need. I have never liked scopes but with bad eyes thatís the fix, a red-dot also helps but the 3 different distances of iron sights on a rifle is tough with bad eyes . . . two of the three things are all fuzzy. Tell the folks at the glasses place you are a shooter and if they are any good they will help you a lot.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks guys. Going to call this morning for a apointment as soon as they open the office.

Cast Iron, I have shot with glasses since grade school. I shot competitevly for many, many years and did Ok with glasses until I went to progressive lenses. Like others have said, it causes distortion the farther you look away from dead straight ahead. My scores dropped quickly and I did some research. Found out you can have them "widened" like was mentioned already - however I could not still see to
    compete well, nor could I see to be able to bowhunt. So, I had a pair of "distance only" glasses made and have the optimum shooting clarity fixed to the left of center. When you look down a gun you will look over your nose at a sharp angle - glasses are made to be looking perfectly straight ahead unless you make them differently. I now hunt with these single focus glasses - yes, I cannot then read my watch with them on but it sure made a difference in my shooting - especially for bow hunting...
    You may not need bifocals, or progessives, if you can see up close good yet - that would be a big plus for ya!
    You will learn to love them "fogging up" just when you have a great shot opportunity and heavy rain is great as well!
    Good luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    You will learn to love them "fogging up" just when you have a great shot opportunity and heavy rain is great as well! Good luck!
    This is my bane and the only bad thing I can think of considering that you will now be able to see your target.

Could not get a appointment until after the first of the year local. Leaving in the morning to a neighboring town to Lenscrafters. They said I could wear my glases home tomorrow. Thanks to all of you.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OK Smokey:
    What do your "Distance only" glasses, "Single Focus" ON?

I tried something like that, and yeah, I could see the front sight, but nothing else.

I recently, had cataract surgery, and am still waiting for my glasses, but it seems to have solved my problem so far.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yea the relax, exhale, pull mechanics of a good shot are a pain in the cold when the middle part fogs ya all up so you cant see nutin! Iíve learned they fog less easily for a while after being cleaned well with a good alcohol base cleaner . . . or just alcohol. It will remove some of the fancy coatings like polarizing but it helps the fogging enough that I donít care though. In my pocket there are always some of those alcohol wipes packets from first aid kits, fog up in the field and they come out.

Now there is nothing Iíve found that helps the come in a worm house from ten below outside glasses fogging up.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Got my new glasses today and are loving them. Had a doe and two yearlings come out in the field beside my house this evening and watched them through the scope until after legal shooting light. Would of been easy to kill any one of them. Could see through the scope better than I have been able to in a few years. Christmas come early here this year. Merry Christmas to all.