Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handguns for bear protection

Default Handguns for bear protection

So im looking into getting a new handgun. Ive been reading about 44mags and such for bear protection and how it might not be sufficient to stop a bear unless proper shot placement blah, blah, blah. Most of the stories Ive read have links attached to them about an article of some guy who shot a charging bear blah blah blah. How many of you actually used a sidearm to take down a charging bear? What caliber did you use and what would you recommend?
    Lets hear the real scoop from someone who has actually been in that situation.

Ive never had a confrontaion with a Bear, but I have hunted and caught quite a few Browns and Blacks, as well as a few other animals....

Shot placement is not 'blah blah blah", its the difference between the Life and Death of the Bear.........for any animal or any caliber, for that matter.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

This may or may not be what you are looking for but i had a friend who was helping another friend track a bow shot black bear. they tracked it to a brushy valley and it spooked, ran right toward them. he drew his 454 casull and put one between its eyes. iT stopped shook its head and took off away from them. when they got close to him again he put another round in its chest and that took it down. later after skinning they found the bullet simply bounced off the skull. not sure what loads he was using but it makes me second guess taking my 44 mag for bear protection.

Search on here and you will find the few factual events in long drawn out threads on this subject.

It all depends on shot placement. Bears have died from one 22lr to the ear and they have kept running after three 375H&H rounds to the vitals. I know of one person that dumped a slow charging interior grizzly with a 45ACP that died on the toes of her boots. There is no magic answer. You need to shoot any firearm very well, and if a handgun it needs to be the largest one you can shoot extremely well.

Luckily for me I have never been stupid enough to get involved with a charging bear. I don't put myself in those kinds of situations. However, much like car insurance, I am prepared for the things I can't control.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Search on here and you will find the few factual events in long drawn out threads on this subject.

It all depends on shot placement. Bears have died from one 22lr to the ear and they have kept running after three 375H&H rounds to the vitals. I know of one person that dumped a slow charging interior grizzly with a 45ACP that died on the toes of her boots. There is no magic answer. You need to shoot any firearm very well, and if a handgun it needs to be the largest one you can shoot extremely well.

Luckily for me I have never been stupid enough to get involved with a charging bear. I don't put myself in those kinds of situations. However, much like car insurance, I am prepared for the things I can't control.
    Who could argue with that?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

even the most experienced bush men and guides get charged, I don't think its a matter of being stupid. if you hunting bear, you gonna have to deal with something like that, You could be fishing the russian river and get charged, is that stupid?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

"88 magnum, it shoots through schools." Danny Vermin, Johnny Dangerously

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post

Yep, definitly in the Nutshell.

If possible, keepthe pistola on the hip, and use your rifle till its either empty or the bear is on you..if possible(time permits) drop down to one knee so you are not shooting down on you target, and break him down..i would rather unload a 30-06, then to fire six out of something that I cant accuwratley shoot till the thing is 25-40yds away..and then those six become one maybe two....if hiking or weight is a issue a .17 or .22 should suffice.....not a pistol fan at all! If uhonestly r in a place where u might need protecton(everywhere in ak) just be safe and take the shotgun..

but he doesn't want a rifle and I wouldn't rather, he wants to know the facts about handguns, if he is going for a run through the woods he proxy won't wanna take the 45/70 when he can take the small light weight 44. if your gold panning a rifle would suck and since 99 percent of people won't need it anyway

take the 500 dollar taurus with a 5 inch barrel, its not to heavy or long, it comes up easy and is accurate. get good with it, get a lee "classic reloader" for 25 bucks (I have one and they are slow but cheap) and start reloading cheap plinking rounds to get good. if you can't afford to shoot it much or what ever, still practice drawing it form all positions and bringing it up to your eye. you'll get good.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by SocalSnipe View Post
    So im looking into getting a new handgun. Ive been reading about 44mags and such for bear protection and how it might not be sufficient to stop a bear unless proper shot placement blah, blah, blah. Most of the stories Ive read have links attached to them about an article of some guy who shot a charging bear blah blah blah. How many of you actually used a sidearm to take down a charging bear? What caliber did you use and what would you recommend?
    Lets hear the real scoop from someone who has actually been in that situation.
    SoCal, the fact is that you are mostly only going to get a lot of blah blah blah to a question like this. The reality is that very few people have " actually used a sidearm to take down a charging bear". I personally only know one person who fits that description. That one person, as I imagine it true of most who fit the criteria of your question, is very humble and not inclined to be hanging around here answering questions like this that are asked here over and over and over, blah blah blah.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SocalSnipe, I got bluff charged by an Interior grizzly who had three cubs with her at my bait sight. I was carrying my 30.06 that day and to be honest with you, every time I relive that experience in my mind I never remember even remotely thinking about my pistol on my hip. However, my partner on the other hand was carrying his bow and he dropped it and had his gun drawn within seconds. We later made our way back out and drove the quads back in to get his bow. I doubt this helps you out, but that was my experience.

Yes he wants pistol facts....r they easy to carry?yes. Are they better than a .30 cal rifle/ shotgun.....no.they make some nice shotguns...but ya get a taurus....ive used both with animals...and ive seen the difference. Good luck with your decision bro

Thank you tiger15

Whatever you get just make sure you're shooting a solid bullet, 90% weight retention or better. Penetration is key when you're talking handgunning for dangerous game and that will help. Like the other guys say, no handgun will come up to what a 30 cal rifle can do but they sure are nice to carry. That all being said I'd have a hard time considering less than a 454 for grizz.

there is a 44 mag Super red hawk for 500 OBO in firearms swap and sell. good looking gun, perfect size.

I have not heard of less hunters being killed by charging bears since the .454 has become more popular. I used to carry a .454, but figured out it was nothing more than a reassurance for me. I believe if I were going to buy another revolver, I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between a .44 or .454
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I saw a chiropracter friend in Kotz (I'm not a patent, just know 'em) and he tells me that during hunting season while he practised in Anchorage is when hes busiest , especcially with guys who walked a lotta miles with meat, backpacks and such, and the worst wore a big pistol for the first time, or first time in a year.

Thats something to consitter and train for as well.

The wife belives steelcored FMJ's 30X from an AK pistol is plenty good Good to 100 yards for other 'stuffs" and the sling makes a great holster ~~LOL!!~~

I'm looking for a Schofield in .45 Colt, a recent made one allrighty

I wont go much into what you should carry as far as a caliber for revolver. I personally carry a S&W 460V. Love that revolver, very practical all around. Initial cost will set you back and it is heavy as all get out but VERY versital also.
    For what you want the pistol/revolver for I will get into the facts regarding spending you money wisely, I would not own any of them that couldn't handle heavy bear rounds you will be using for defense such as Buffalo Bore, Double tap, Corbon or a few others. A X frame Smith & Wesson, any of the Ruger revolvers (Red hawk, Super Red Hawk, Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk), Freedom Arms and even the Dan Wesson revolvers can/will handle what you looking for, which is a defensive bear pistol/revolver. I would steer away from any of the other .44 and up especially if they cannot handle the heavy bear loads. Just do some good research.
    Another item to touch on about revolvers is wether you want single action or double action. I personally would suggest double action. Yes sure if you practice enough you can and will get good with single action, but with adrenaline pumping and fear of a charging bear I would want to draw and get right to work with as few steps/procedures using valuable time as possible.
    Basically in a nutshell study double action vs single action and wether the revolver will handle bear loads as some manufacturers revolver frames won't/can't handle these. Yeah you may get away with it for several rounds, but as much as one needs to practice to stay proficient I wouldn't get one that couldn't handle heavy bear loads.

SOMEBODY PLEASE!!!

Now we have it all so theres only one thing left to do........go buy that pistol!!!!

you gotta figure out how to convince the wife, but thats for another thread.

I'll be here, lookin' forward to you testing yer pistol on a charging Bear, and then tell us about it in ana awsome write up, with pictures (or it didnt happen!)

I'd do it, but I pracise proactive 'keep the Bears outta camp witha piss fence' and carry arifle the rest of the time......never been charged.....or billed....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast