Thread: Best tip ups??

Default Best tip ups??

They make all types of tip ups...which are the best?

Bar none it's the 10" insulated frabill tip ups that are round. The styrofoam in the bottom is a great place to place the hooks so you won't get tangled on everything.

Only ones I use. I love them.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I think any tip up with a flag height of about 10", and made of plastic is the most worthless tip up you could spend your money on. I prefer tip ups with some actual flag height so you can seem them at a distance.

We call them "ice traps", they sit high n dry and can actually be seen by snow machiners so they don't get run over. When the snow is tall, why waste money on a cheap piece of China plastic?

On an ice trap, when the flag is set, it's still 16" above the hole. When trap is set off, the flag has a height of 31". The jack traps have a metal 4 in. reel and hold over 300 ft. of braided ice fishing line, which is much better for big lake trout. The "big bob" model has a flag height of 5 ft. The frabil has a feeble little plastic spool that probably holds less than half of a real ice trap. When the flag is set on frabill tupper ware container, it's right on the bottom. I used to have two of them frabils. One of them got run over by an unknowing snowmachiner, and the other was given to a kid.

http://www.jacktraps.com/store.php/p...rd-with-3-reel

Just my honest opinion based off 26 yrs of ice fishing.

Attached Images Attached Images

Jacks or heritage here. I've used all types and these two stand alone.

Seeing as how the law says that all your lines must be "closely attended", I don't see where the flag height makes any difference whatsoever, since you're going to be fishing your other hole nearby anyway, right?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If I want to put my ice trap 300 yds. away from my ice house when I found what distance they're biting, I'm going to do so. Regardless of wind blown snow, regardless of what time of day, the ice trap is going where I need it. In my shack, flag height does make a difference. You can interpret the ice fishing regs how yah want. If I can see my trap with the naked eye and I'm out there checking my bait periodically throughout the day, the trap is closely attended in my book. Furthermore, did you completely miss that part where I stated that one of my frabill tip-ups was run over by an unknowing snow machiner?

With that said, regardless, I could care less what your opinion is Joat. You oftentimes heckle reality with your uppity theories that you occasionally try to form into reality or some sort of "be all end all trumping truth".

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    With that said, regardless, I could care less what your opinion is Joat. You oftentimes heckle reality with your uppity theories that you occasionally try to form into reality or some sort of "be all end all trumping truth".
    Is this supposed to be some kind of personal attack? Cuz I'm pretty sure those are outlawed, too.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Not an attack whatsoever but rather, just saying it how I see it, relax dude.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Seeing as how the law says that all your lines must be "closely attended", I don't see where the flag height makes any difference whatsoever, since you're going to be fishing your other hole nearby anyway, right?
    fLAG HEIGHT NOT SO MUCH BUT TRAP HEIGHT TO START WITH ALL THE SNOWMACHINERS AROUND.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    fLAG HEIGHT NOT SO MUCH BUT TRAP HEIGHT TO START WITH ALL THE SNOWMACHINERS AROUND.
    Another reason I use the big round orange polar tip ups. You will see those for hundreds of yards. The guys who use the black stick tip ups, you won't see them till you are right on them.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I really like the look of those Jack's Traps. Is there anywhere in AK that sells them? I don't think I've ever seen them on the shelf anywhere, though I've seen a really cheapo version with a similar look, though much smaller.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Tip ups

I haven't found any place in AK that has the Jack Traps, but it sounds like they get them out the door pretty quick from the shop in Maine. I also like the look of those, but I've got my five already and don't have a need to get any more at this time. I have two of the frabill disc-styles and three wooden HT classics. All of them catch fish. As far as having snowmachines run over things, thats part of the risk of being out and about. Try to make them obvious, but don't think anything is fool-proof. After all, its just stuff.

There are two tips I'll pass along though.
    1.) Don't under any circumstances let the disc style tipups get frozen into the hole. Game over!! I managed to get one out that we forgot to check (had 20 or so out between 5 guys) after 8 hours @ -30, but it was in rough shape. Having said that, if you do what you're supposed to and pack some DRY snow around the edge and check it every so often, they work great.
    2.) For non-insulated tipups like the HT classics, find some scrap insulating foam from a construction site, place a 5 gal pail on and trace a line onto the foam. Cut it out, and make a thin cut into the center of the disc from one edge. this baby will sit under the tip up, over the ice, and keep it from freezing up and snow from blowing into the hole. when the flag goes up, toss it to the side (unless its really windy!!), and haul in your fish! You can see one of mine in the attached photo.

Tight Lines!

IMG_0363.jpg

I grew up ice fishing in MN and have used all kinds of tipups.
    If it is cold out like -10 or colder it is hard to beat the round orange Frabill polartherm as they reall do a wonderfull job of keeping your hole from freezing. They also stack well in a 5 gallon bucket for easy storage. And have a good hook holder and a small tackle box built in to hold a spare set up or two.
    They run about $20 apiece so not terribly expensive for those on a budget.
    The flags on them are a bit short and can be a pain to pull out and push in the flage for storage.
    The black polar tipups made by HT are really good too. I have never had any problems with mine and I must have 15 of them now.
    I have added folding flag extensions to a few of them for those times when I want to fish them farther away. They run about $10-$12 so the price is good and they last for years. The flag extensions run abour $5-$6 each + shipping if ordered online.I always just throw the plastic tipups in a bucket and they dont ever get damaged like a wood tipup would.
    I have never used a jack trap but have tried a couple other wooden crossed stick tipups and they were all junk. I might have to try a jacktrap sometime. $35-$55+ is a turn off though and then you have shipping costs from Maine.
    One thing this style of tipup is lacking though is you cannot see what the fish is doing without pulling the tipup out of the water.
    When I am pike fishing I like to be able to see the spindle turning. I have learned that pike like to strike a bait and then run with it to a place they feel safe then spin the bait in their mouth and swallow it head first. Most fish swallow their prey head first as fish can't swim backwards so they have a better chance of it not getting away.
    By watching the spindle and weather it is turning helps in determining what to do when I get to the tipup.
    If you wait until they have run off with it stopped and then took off again they will almost always be well hooked.
    Since we must keep all pike here in southcentral this has always worked well for me.
    I have never had anyone run over one of my tipups or even come all that close to doing so. Then again I don't fish near Los Anchorage either.
    I like the polar tip ups or the Frabills. I personally try to avoid wooden tipups because the plastic ones have held up to my abuse and the fish for many any years.
    Also a good tip up line is a must. A good braided dacron or similiar line made specifically for tipups is good.
    Avoid using mono on tipups.
    I just received a Jawjacker for christmas and this may be a good tipup of sorts.
    http://www.jawjackerfishing.com/
    A bit spendy at $40 each and you provide your own rod but you get the best of both worlds including an automatic hookset.
    Just be sure to avoid the cheap gimmicks like the Jigup auto jigging tipup as they fell apart or broke on the first trip for most of us who tried them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The only tip up I use are the Beaver Dam Arctic Fisherman, they are rugged, work in any temp and will last a lifetime. Been fishing a couple for over 30 years. Someday I will have a set of Jack Traps as I like the idea of the higher flag hight for deeper snow conditions and the extra viz for sets farther out.

My bro gave me a set of Polar's, used them a few times and then re-gifted ........................I like the old school hand made, wood tip-ups.