Thread: Costa Rica this winter

Default Costa Rica this winter

I am planning in spending several weeks in Costa Rica this winter, in the Tamarindo area. I was looking for some local advice on shore fishing for Rooster Fish, tackle etc. I know this is an Alaska forum so I was just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim

iF YOU don't have a boat-live bait cast into the rip. 8'spinning rod or longer works best. No weight or very light. What a great fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jim - alaska View Post
    I know this is an Alaska forum so I was just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

South

Someone had to do it.

I am planning in spending several weeks in Costa Rica this winter, in the Tamarindo area. I was looking for some local advice on shore fishing for Rooster Fish, tackle etc. I know this is an Alaska forum so I was just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim
    Umm... Tamarindo is nice, but not that great for fishing.. head south till you are almost not in Costa Rica anymore..lol

Jaco has some good charters. Go farther south to Golfito it has lot better fishing. Go farther south still to Panama, lots better and cheaper, try out of Cobia Nat. Park, and Perlas Islands out of Panama City. Fished them all and Panama by far the best.

Made a mistake meant to say try Quepos and not Jaco. Not sure if you have been to Tamarindo before, so a quick word of caution. It has been know for years and years to have a very poluted beach. The goverment puts up warning signs and the local business owners take them down so the tourists will not know.

Thanks,

Jim
    My Brother lives in Costa Rica in Playa Hermosa, Gunacaste on the NW coast not far from Nicaruagua.
    He has a Ponga (local fishing boat). I have been there a few times and the fishing is fantastic!
    Im sure I could hook you up with him for a day trip if you are interested.

Merry Christmas!

I would 2nd Quepos One thing I found is not fishing near a full moon if out for sails They fill up during the night and really have to work for a bite. When your spending $700 for a boat really want to be in them thick. Try it on a fly rod if you can find a captain who understands the bait & switch technique