Thread: PAPD Optimax Drain Kit

Default PAPD Optimax Drain Kit

Does your Sportjet powered boat have the powerhead adaptor plate drain plug kit for Alaskan winters? If it doesnít, there is a good chance that in the spring, you may find a blown gasket under the powerhead the first time you fire it up. (And that can ruin you Memorial day weekend)

The water would be spraying off the rear port side of the engine. If this happens, bring it by Compeauís in the spring and we can install our innovative threaded PAPD kit. This kit allows you to remove a simple bolt and washer to allow any water trapped by silt to escape when the temperatures get down below a hard freeze. All our boats have this kit installed free of charge before they leave the store.

Last edited by Icebear; 12-09-2011 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Headwaters View Post
    Does your Sportjet powered boat have the powerhead adaptor plate drain plug kit for Alaskan winters? If it doesnít, there is a good chance that in the spring, you may find a blown gasket under the powerhead the first time you fire it up. (And that can ruin you Memorial day weekend)

The water would be spraying off the rear port side of the engine. If this happens, bring it by Compeauís in the spring and we can install our innovative threaded PAPD kit. This kit allows you to remove a simple bolt and washer to allow any water trapped by silt to escape when the temperatures get down below a hard freeze. All our boats have this kit installed free of charge before they leave the store.

Why do you need a drain-plug the Motor is self draining, I even called and talk directly to Mercury and they said the same thing? No need to worry about freeze damage unless you have plugged your self draining holes (same as the intake holes). How do you know if you plugged them, add some fluid and if the fluid drains out, you're go to go.

If I may respond...
    Down here in the lower 48, it's almost unheard of for this to happen. But there is a small water drain that from time to time, I have seen blocked with muck.
    I've a good buddy who moved from central MN to North Pole, AK. Come spring, his 200 Opti Sport Jet had blown the gasket mentioned above. Cripes, it gets cold in Minnesota, but not as cold as AK. If you're up there, I'd think hard about the kit...MY .02

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Turner View Post
    If I may respond...
    Down here in the lower 48, it's almost unheard of for this to happen. But there is a small water drain that from time to time, I have seen blocked with muck.
    I've a good buddy who moved from central MN to North Pole, AK. Come spring, his 200 Opti Sport Jet had blown the gasket mentioned above. Cripes, it gets cold in Minnesota, but not as cold as AK. If you're up there, I'd think hard about the kit...MY .02

I have to say if the engine-block held any significant amount of water (to cause damage) I would have found the gasket blown last year. I also ask the dealer (mercury) why folks may think it will happen; his answer was because they may have an outboard and an outboard doesn't self-drain like the inboard 200 Optimax, so I won't be drilling a drain-plug any time soon (as shown).

I also (just in case he was wrong) poured RV anti-freeze into the washout hose and found the fluid drained just as fast as I poured the fluid into the hose. Hence no water collection or very little to effect any freeze damage. Bottom line; my first hand knowledge is; no area in the block should freeze due to no collection in my engine area, thus if I ever get a blown gasket it surely won't be from freeze damage. Just my .02

Talking I'm with you, but...

Ernie, I'm with you 100% ...it shouldn't happen, but it does. The pump adapter plate has a small drain hole that if blocked, holds water. Plse see attached pics.

It's not at all my intent to debate, I'm just trying to post accurate information. KT
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can also drill it out larger to reduce the chance of it plugging....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Erne, I'm with you 100% ...it shouldn't happen, but it does. The pump adapter plate has a small drain hole that if blocked, holds water. Plse see attached pics.

It's not at all my intent to debate, I'm just trying to post accurate information. KT
    All coments welcome,

I did pour anti-freeze into the washout hose (less than a couple of cap fulls) and I had with-in a few seconds the AF draining out from the stomp grade area (under the boat) It would seem my plug in not clogged unless it can drain as fast some where else; As a caveat I was also told by several different people they poured about 1/2 gal of anti-freeze into the wash-out hose before the AF started to drain out.

tjm; how do you drill a larger hose ( is it as simple as) crawling under the boat with a drill or do you have to lift the engine.

Edited the last post to add: I wonder if some water is frozen in the area shown by the photo and the Anti-freeze floated on top and out the other holes, maybe the little holes use to suck water into the cooling jacket?

Did it when the engine was lifted
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Did it when the engine was lifted

thanks, that may be a project in the future.

Many times I hesitate to post for fear of coming across as an "idiot know it all". Ad to that this is a sponsor thread, maybe some replies should be moved?

Anywayz...
    Like tjm, I've increased the hole diameter a wee bit. But keep in mind, the "cavity" in question is a pressurized cooling passage. Too large a hole could have a negative effect on the top 2 cylinders...if idling for long periods.

Edit: Starving the top 2 cylinders of cooling water at idle.

Many times I hesitate to post for fear of coming across as an "idiot know it all". Ad to that this is a sponsor thread, maybe some replies should be moved?

Anywayz...
    Like tjm, I've increased the hole diameter a wee bit. But keep in mind, the "cavity" in question is a pressurized cooling passage. Too large a hole could have a negative effect on the top 2 cylinders...if idling for long periods.

Edit: Starving the top 2 cylinders of cooling water at idle.

The good part of reseach is to ask the questions and read the posted comments. I did wonder if a bigger (drilled to big) hole may cause problems of its own, Thx

Just fired up my Sportjet 200 and low and behold I have a blown gasket. I read this thread over the winter and thought why bother with the drain kit as I've had no problems since 2008, but for some reason she didn't drain last season, froze over the winter and now I have a blown gasket. Looks like I'll be pulling the motor to repair. Has anyone done this repair themselves? I have a garage with an overhead lift, just wondering how big a job it is. Looks like they just drill and tap the adapter plate for the PAPD kit. Thanks.

I don't think Tjm boat sees much idle time..... Just watch some of the videos..

Just winterized my boat (sad day). Anyhow, I pulled the drain plug and out came pouring a lot of water! So the drain plug is worth it's weight in gold.