Thread: Best chances of success near roads.

Default Best chances of success near roads.

Well I've finally packed my guns up from Texas and am ready to hunt. I havent been in Ak long enough to have many good hunting contacts but I am looking to get out and hunt this year. As for this winter I am willing to hunt just about anything, my issue is I seldom get more than 2 days off at a time and I have no transportation other than my truck and feet. So the question is if I were to go somewhere and be willing to hike a few hours in, which direction should I go and what should I hunt, I will probably hunt small game in the mean time but I am just wondering if it is realistic for me to possibly go to Whittier and find a bear or up north and find a wolf... Help me out I ya can!!

Pretty much any direction will get you somewhere. Start looking into the borough websites and native corp sites to find maps of where you can't go. It is easier to eliminate places you can't go then head off and start burning boot leather in the places you can go.

In the springtime and into the fall the Kenai Mountains are going to be a better bet than Whittier for foot-accessed black bear. As for small game, either direction will do - stop at various roadside pullouts or trailheads and start busting some brush. If you see loads of hare tracks, spend some time still hunting through the thick stuff and you might hit paydirt.

There a good areas to hunt along the road system finding them will take time and leg work. With only two days is a killer especially if it a weekend. My suggestion is if you’re serious about hunting plan on leaving after work and coming back the night before going to work. Spent the week looking at maps and planning the next trip.

When you get enough posts to use the private message function send me a PM and I can tell you a road spot or two within 50 miles of ANC to spot for blackies.

Hey thanks for the replys. I should have mentioned that if I go to Whittier I often kayak 10-15 miles for a annual trip In the summer so a friend and I would feel comfortable taking 2 tandems and hunting that way. I have friends who take boats out of there and seem to be real successful.

One of the areas I have been to camp was near Montana creek. If I were to just to go to the end of a logging road and walk from there until I found a nice looking place to hunt would that be a legit way to hunt out there?

Spring time there are tons of bear bait sites out that way which make it a real challenge both safety wise and you will have company. Finding bears out there will be a major challenge as it is thick and they have every advantage over you in that terrain without bait. Either baiting or spot and stalk in the mountains is a much better bet.