Thread: Draw hunt question...

Default Draw hunt question...

This is my first year attempting the draw process here in AK and had a question someone may be able to answer for me. I figured a good way to increase my chances were to see the results from last year and the ones with higher % go for those.. What I found was that some of them with higher % especially for antlerless moose in 20 were not available this year. So my question would be, does the draw areas change year to year for certain hunts? Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    This is my first year attempting the draw process here in AK and had a question someone may be able to answer for me. I figured a good way to increase my chances were to see the results from last year and the ones with higher % go for those.. What I found was that some of them with higher % especially for antlerless moose in 20 were not available this year. So my question would be, does the draw areas change year to year for certain hunts? Thanks for any info.
    YES,, special draws are used to help as a management tool. The cow hunts should be on a down swing as they have been going strong for a few years and there has been a noticeable reduction in the amount of moose versus vehicle accidents in the Fairbanks area.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yes, they change from year to year. If you look through the draw hunt supplement, you will see some hunts listed as "(NEW)" while others that were there last year won't be listed at all as you noticed. Also, some hunts from last year may be split up into multiple "new" hunts for whatever reason (more focused management goals for one part of a unit over another, etc...).

One thing to note with your methodology for picking which hunts to choose, realize that there usually is a reason that some of those hunts have a much higher drawing success rate. It is usually because access to an area is difficult or near impossible if you don't have means of access to a certain method of transportation such as plane/boat/horseback. It's alway tempting when you look through the list and see a hunt with a 75% draw success rate, but when you look closer you realize it would take about 3 planes, a boat, two horses, and another 10 miles of packing on foot just to get to the unit boundary.

Not entirely Steve. Some of the 20A permit hunts changed from last year. Not the area, just the permit numbers because they are breaking the season up with multiple permits instead of a single permit. Just looking at the draw number could make you think that hunt is history. You'll have to recognize the area in which the hunt is for.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, so lets say DM100 was for a specific area. This year DM100 is history because it is now broken up into three different time frames. It is replaced with permits DM120 (August 15-30) DM121 (Sept. 1-25) DM122 (Sept. 26-Nov. 15).

If DM100 issued 300 tags, and the draw percentage was 40%, then you can compare that to the new permits (DM120-122). If they are issuing 100 tags per permit, then the odds will probably be less during the regular season (Sept. 1-25) and better odds for the earlier and later season. This is my guess, I could be wrong. I would suggest getting a copy of last years drawing supplement and comparing the areas you want to put in for with the current years summary.

And you have one thing going for you that most of us don't. First timers luck, use it wisely.

Thank you.. And I did take notice to some areas that looked like it took an act of congress to get into... I ended up putting in for a moose and caribou in 13 and a moose in the delta controlled use area... I figure I might as well begin donating to the ADFG now