Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Boar/hogs?

Default Wild Boar/hogs?

Are they out there? Can't remember reading anything...

Quote Originally Posted by EricRichards View Post
    Are they out there? Can't remember reading anything...
    http://www.scrippsnews.com/content/w...s-and-counting

There was some that escaped in the Sterling area. However I should think they are all bear poop buy now.

The russian hogs that escaped from the farmer in Sterling were hunted down and killed within days of their escape.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I saw some over near Spenard near a watering hole. ;-)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I saw some over near Spenard near a watering hole. ;-)
    That was my ex-wife.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That was my ex-wife.
    From the size of that hog I would hope so!!!

Boy it is going to be a long winter..... 97.6" of snow as of yesterday. Snow blower blew a track too last night...

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Heard a story of some on an island off of kodiak once...any news on that.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Marmot Island off the east side of Afognak had feral pigs when I lived in Kodiak. They were free for the taking, but I don't know anyone who did. Heard rumors once in a while. I'd check with fish and game before I went tho. Marmot Is is a Sea Lion sanctuary and can only be approached in certain areas now if I remember correctly.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

My parents have feral hogs on their place in North-Central Texas....It is said there are two types of landowners down there: Those who have a hog problem and those who are about to experience it. Yep, that is true! For those who have me on Facebook, then you can see pics of our traps!

There were a few feral boars here in Delta a couple decades back......suspect bears and winter got em.

The island in Lake Hood has type of hog to eat goose eggs.

A few years back, Eielson Farm road had some running around on the loose... was told they got loose from the farm and not all were accounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Marmot Island off the east side of Afognak had feral pigs when I lived in Kodiak. They were free for the taking, but I don't know anyone who did. Heard rumors once in a while. I'd check with fish and game before I went tho. Marmot Is is a Sea Lion sanctuary and can only be approached in certain areas now if I remember correctly.
    There is one small area that you can access the island on the west side by boat, weather has to be perfect though. Spoke to F&G about it last year and they thought they had died off. I had heard you can go in by helicopter since they are feral and not a game species. I spoke to one of the helo pilots here that I know about it a few months back and he said he dropped a guy off there last summer for two weeks. He searched the entire island and didn't see any pigs or any sign of pigs. The assumption is that they died off during the hard winters between 07-09. Probably a good thing for the island, but a bit of a let down since it would have been a unique hunt. I heard they were very aggressive and not affraid to charge.

I'm not sure if wild/feral hogs could survive on the indigenus plant or vegatation here, although they are quite adaptable and probabaly could handle cold temps, If they could survive here, or where ever, it would not be good, i have seen the damage they can do.

However.....Sure is fun to hunt'em , and roast'em on the rotisserie Southern BBQ style !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TBinKodiak View Post
    Probably a good thing for the island, but a bit of a let down since it would have been a unique hunt. I heard they were very aggressive and not affraid to charge.
    I've also heard they're all dead, no sign of ground torn up as they were want to do while there.

Just a rumor,.....but I believe f&g really wanted them gone due to the devastation to natural vegetation they were causing.

I had a couple German guys working for me on deck a while back who had done the Marmot Island hunt for wild hogs, Most notable part of their story was that,

"it was a shotgun from the hip, kinda hunt" for the fact that,
    "the crazy things would come charging straight at ya out of the alder thickets, down low, fast and furious,...
    you'd better not miss that first shot !"

and those guys were not easily excitable,.....Sure sounded like a thrilling hunt, and they said the meat was excellent,....

But then, those Euro guys were all excited about cooking up Wolf Eels also
    (tho they did make that taste pretty good, interesting guys to work with for sure)

Kinda wish that hunt was still available
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Kinda wish that hunt was still available
    No hogs, but you can still get these feral beasts down on the southend. I'm sure you already knew that though...

Wow TB, what an excellent pic,

I have heard about the Reindeer down there,
    (what is it about "Feral," the word, seems to describe wild cats, more adequately than real wildlife,...
    wasn't it a Long time back when they were let loose/escaped/walked off... ??)
    sure is an interesting story on them going around town tho

That hunt has eluded me for the two years since I really checked into it,
    seems they are declining, or at least really hard to pin down,
    but I'm after one like that as soon as I get another chance

What's the story on that beast, yours,... doesn't really look like later than August?
    was that back when you could take them earlier in spring maybe?

PM me if you have interesting details, I'm really interested
    have heard a lot of stories/fables about finding them,
    seems some search hard for 'em, flying all over the west, while most seem to stumble upon them

Something about those Reindeer down there, has just got me, would love to find one like that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Rain,

It was taken this past September, there are around 600 of them down there. Usually they are about impossible to access, but there are some dandies in there if you are able to. Those top tines are over 30" so he scores well.
    Sent you a PM, didn't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already did.

TB

They are fun to hunt and excellent eating, but we do not want them up here. A sow can bread at 10 months having a litter of 6 to 10, 3 times a year. They can eat anything a bear will eat. I think its finding food in the winter that has stopped them from taking hold.

The big issue in the states that have them is the lack of hunters hunting them. Like our game up here if you do not know how to clean it the right way you are not going to enjoy the end result. Most have no clue how to clean wild hogs and when they taste tainted meat it gets pushed off as you can't eat one that big. From 50 to 400LBS I have yet to find one that tastes bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast