Thread: Choice of rifle for daughter's blackie hunt?

Default Choice of rifle for daughter's blackie hunt?

I was wondering what is an adequate rifle selection for my teenage daughter's first hunt? Going to take her on a blackie hunt up Eagle River valley. I was thinkin' along the lines of a .270. How is the recoil on that? The daughter is a little petite thing, and wants to hunt a black bear, but I'm pretty sure she won't be able to handle very well anything with a large recoil, i.e. .300 or greater. Of course, I'll be there with a backup .375 (which is overkill for a Blackie, but there are plenty of Brown in the vicinity). Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance,
    Blue skies and Semper Fi's,
    Johnny

Well if you are also going to there with her and even if you were not the 270 with good bullets will be fine for her and a black bear. I would certainly have her shoot enough rounds with it first to get proficient with it and used to the recoil.

Good for you and have fun!

Doug

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Other possibilities would be a 7mm-08 or a 260 Remington.

Johnny - My wife is a little thing as well, and we ended up getting her a 7mm-08 Youth Model last year. She hasn't taken anything with it yet, but it is an absolute pleasure to shoot. With it's low recoil and hefty pad, she barely feels any kick at all. If you're interested, I'd be happy to lend it to you for a day to check out at the range with your daughter. Let me know if you're interested and we'll work something out.

-Brian

Default PM sent

Brian,
    PM sent.
    Thanks,
    Johnny

Default BM

I agree with Brian. A 7mm/08 with a good constucted bullet is plenty. Actually a bow is all that is needed.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default recoil

If you are at all worried about your daughter handling recoil I would suggest a muzzle break. While yes it is very loud, a muzzle break can be used for practice and then taken off and replaced with nut of similar length for the actual hunt. Muzzle breaks are fantastic for teaching kids how to shoot big rifles. Building good habits is what it's all about. As far as caliber choices, anything from a .243 to the .30-06 is a good choice for black bear. I'm a fan of the .30-06. Because of its large range of bullet and load choices, it is a good rifle for most alaskan game.

-Eric

Default I appreciate

I appreciate all who pitched in with their opinions. Trust me, whatever rifle we decide on, she will throw LOTS of lead downrange and "on target" before I bring her on a hunt. I, being the former Jarhead, definitely know that Marksmanship goes a LOOOONNNGGGG way in bringing down your target.
    Thanks again,
    Johnny

Hello,
    My wife and 2 daughters ( and I as well) have .260's for our light rifles. They love them. No kick and plenty of power. Use the 125 gr Nosler to keep recoil down.

Ruger 77 RSI/Shilen
    Ruger 77 UL/octagon Douglas
    Rem mdl.7SS
    Kimber 84 Select

Default 7mm-08

My girl shoot's and loves the 7mm-08 Im Trying to get her into an 30-06 for bigger game but she isn't to into it??

Default My son

Last year my 12 year old shot a moose with my Tikka T3 stainless steel 7 MM mag, with a limbsaver butt pad. He weighted all of 81 pounds. Did not even feel the 2 shots. This year probably take the youngest son 10 going on eleven to shot a bou with the same gun. He shot my sheep rifle cause it was the closer. He has one of the remington 270 combo's for $369 and shoots it real good. The new fusion ammo is real good and cheap for the calibers they make it for.

Have a great hunt.

Terry